Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Approved Member

No, I definitely understand basic LoD function, but the problem comes when an area only has one available lod, thus not allowing any transition. This is why is suggest flying towards it, thus reducing the distance, to trigger the transition.

No transition = no lod.

At any rate, no it will not change. Each lod is literally another terrain texture, and as stated before it is a finite number. They could add in more, stretch the area that has many lod levels, etc. This would reduce the obviousness of it and require a ton of work.

Don't count on it.

P.s. fly over the area you define as 'low texture'. On my installation there is only one texture and I'm able to literally fly directly over or land on it, and no change is resolution.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Approved Member

As I fly towards the lower resolution textures, they change into higher resolution ones. Which also doesn't look very good because of the abruptness of the process. Because it's a LoD issue. If I start West of London watching East then the London textures will be displayed in low res in the distance. As the point of view gets closer to London the textures will then change to higher res.

My gripe is with the lowest LoD of the terrain textures being a noticeable different colour tone as the medium and high resolution textures, which results in the ugly square and the abrupt LoD changes. Since the transition between medium and high res textures are pretty smooth I find it difficult to believe that the same couldn't be done for the transition between medium and low res textures.

If you don't notice the texture LoDs in your CloD then either my version of the game or your eyesight probably needs a fix.

Anyway, we'll see what happens with futures patches.

Last edited by ParaB; 03-23-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaB View Post
My problem is that the texture colours between medium LoD and low LoD are quite different, resulting in the ugly "square" effect.

Nice drawing ParaB,
I understand your point much better now.

For me personally, it is annoying that the view lines create a "square" instead of a "circle". It is against logic and it hurts the eye.

But the most annoying thing for me is less the "square" but the transition as the plane moves on. The transition does not seem to be smooth but moves in jumps thus making it annoying.

~S~
Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Approved Member

S!

This what ParaB's pic shows is maybe on reason why some games use haze, to cover the transition a bit better. Of course this can be debated forth and back if it is feasible or realistic, but let's hope the patch will fix or better this "square phenomenon".