Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   Vehicle and Terrain threads (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   Grafics question (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=30618)

ParaB 03-20-2012 09:44 PM

Grafics question

Has there been any indication that the ugly "blocky terrain square" (the area of detailed textures) that is very noticeable at higher altitudes will be fixed, or is planned to be fixed at some point? After a long-ish break I played a couple of hours yesterday and today and while I really like the improvements done to the sim so far this struck me as a rather obvious shortcoming.

hc_wolf 03-20-2012 10:47 PM

They are re-building the graphics engine for this game from the groud up. It is taking some time as expected. When the patch is released many if not all graphic issues will be fixed.

Jatta Raso 03-20-2012 11:28 PM

there are still some problems, but landscape is leaps and bounds better than vanilla; before all sorts of blocks were everywhere, where did you sighted yours?

some ATI/AMD cards have some issues that Nvidia doesn't, but i have Nvidia and it's still not perfect, graphics engine issue; a patch dealing with this to the core is imminent or so we were led to believe, hang on for the next couple weeks and it may be sorted out..

speculum jockey 03-20-2012 11:33 PM

The Devs have said that current graphical issues should no longer be an . . . issue as the Graphics Engine re-write will be from the ground up, so other than looking the same, it should not have the same problems this has. They've also said that they are working with both AMD/ATI and Nvidia, so one card shouldn't really have an edge over the other with regards to graphical issues.

Sit tight and hopefully the new graphics engine and patch will be out in another two weeks.

ParaB 03-21-2012 12:47 AM

Thanks for the info.

BTW what I meant was the large square that depicted the area wherein detailed textures are shown, it's very much visible from higher altitudes.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...lod_square.jpg

SQB 03-21-2012 02:36 AM

The distance at which this texture kicks in is designated by the "land detail" setting in the options menu. If this is maxed out I'm not sure what more you can do, perhaps you could increase it further in some file?

335th_GRAthos 03-21-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParaB (Post 401077)
Has there been any indication that the ugly "blocky terrain square" (the area of detailed textures) that is very noticeable at higher altitudes will be fixed, or is planned to be fixed at some point? After a long-ish break I played a couple of hours yesterday and today and while I really like the improvements done to the sim so far this struck me as a rather obvious shortcoming.

I think there is a missunderstanding ParaB,

The "ugly "blocky terrain square"" is there because your hardware (and mine and everybody elses) is not able to handle more of it.

So, if you want to complain, complain to ATI and NVIDIA for not having GPUs strong enough to handle more graphics...

Of course, working sli /crossfire would help...

~S~

Sutts 03-21-2012 09:30 AM

Yes, I think we'll just have to live with that one until hardware improves and we can expand the viewing distance.

Probably a lot of effort to feather that hard edge in a random way to make the square disappear.

Anders_And 03-21-2012 10:23 AM

NOt true!! Most flightsims have this little feature. However at least they could change the colour of the blurry terrain as its alot more yellowish than detailed terrain and therefor very noticeable.. I say keep it to make the game run better bit at least make it greener in its colour!

ParaB 03-21-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos (Post 401186)
I think there is a missunderstanding ParaB,

The "ugly "blocky terrain square"" is there because your hardware (and mine and everybody elses) is not able to handle more of it.

So, if you want to complain, complain to ATI and NVIDIA for not having GPUs strong enough to handle more graphics...

Of course, working sli /crossfire would help...

~S~

Errr, no. CloD is not the only flightsim I play but it's the only one where the transition between terrain texture levels is so striking. The problem is not ATI/NVIDIA not providing more powerful hardware but the developers not adjusting the texture colours between high and low detail better. Also the more usual "ring" around the PoV would probably be more pleasant to the eye than the square we see now.

@Esso: No. I tested it and increased the battle map size to cover the whole map and still see the texture square.

Anyway, I'll wait for the patch and hope for the best.