Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
1. Cooller Intake. First of all the damage of engine motoframe could be in the points of gondola, then yes.. intake will go out withthe engine... but if damage is in points where the engine the intake will be on the place... on the frame. We model second variant of damage. Or would be better to say it may happens or not...

2. Doors. Looking on the schemes and photos it is clear that in this case they must be open simultaniosly. For the separate, when just one part open - the levers of the doors, that are not used should be removed. In air is imposible to open at first the first then second part of doors. Could be only fully open or half (in last case if removed levers on the ground)

3. Alluminium is also firing, not only fuel. And german alluminium alloys in some case was firing not worse then wooden surfaces (depending of conditions). The most dangerous alloy used in the cockpits. Light, but firing very well.
That sums up everything!

The alloys in the Aluminum were extremely flammable and some planes went down simply from the fires themselves spreading so fast.

OLEG-- One question that I believe you haven't been asked yet, and I do not believe you will answer... - Lets say I am playing SOW and I fly my plane straight into the ground and crash- will the physics of the crash and explosion be a similar damage model as IL2- or is it better/different?

Thanks and I hope the new office is going well!

-Omphalos
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalos View Post
That sums up everything!

The alloys in the Aluminum were extremely flammable and some planes went down simply from the fires themselves spreading so fast.

OLEG-- One question that I believe you haven't been asked yet, and I do not believe you will answer... - Lets say I am playing SOW and I fly my plane straight into the ground and crash- will the physics of the crash and explosion be a similar damage model as IL2- or is it better/different?

Thanks and I hope the new office is going well!

-Omphalos
Better and different
Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
Light, but firing very well.
They used magnesium alloys in the cockpit?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Approved Member

Well wouldn't ya know, This Oleg fella actually knows what's going on. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
That sums up everything!

Not true!

I think Oleg was thinking of the He-70:
He-70 Wiki
Quote:
The He 70 airframe was made out of so-called "electron metal", a very light, yet strong alloy of magnesium, which burns spontaneously in air when heated, and is only exhausted when covered in sand. A single hit from a light machine gun usually set the entire plane ablaze, killing the crew.
It is MAGNESIUM, which is NOT Aluminum.
I have seen plenty of pictures of burned remains of aircraft, but the wing tips and tails do not suffer burn damage.
Only where fuel, oil, and other combustible material exist is the aluminum melted.

Standard aircraft design, even at that time, was to eliminate any combustible structure and skin in the engine area. Common safety practice.

Last edited by Flying Pencil; 10-14-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
Standard aircraft design, even at that time, was to eliminate any combustible structure and skin in the engine area. Common safety practice.
Wright had the problem that the engines for the b29 (R-3350) should deliver 1hp/ibs.
To reach that goal they used magnesium in the engine housing.
The result were that a engine fire usually burned through the main spar of the wing,
with predictable results.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

S!

Japanese used the T-7178 aluminum that was light, but burned easier than normal aircraft aluminum. No source indicates Bf109 being any more suspectible to fire than any other plane of that era.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Using pure Mg is nuts.
But even MgAl alloys burn well, just takes a little more to ignite them.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Not true!

I think Oleg was thinking of the He-70:
He-70 Wiki

I have seen plenty of pictures of burned remains of aircraft, but the wing tips and tails do not suffer burn damage.
Only where fuel, oil, and other combustible material exist is the aluminum melted.

You are right but Oleg is talking about something else I am sure--- He wouldn't make an entire German airforce in the game lit up like roman candles. would he? lol
Old 10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You are right but Oleg is talking about something else I am sure--- He wouldn't make an entire German airforce in the game lit up like roman candles. would he? lol
given the fact his German planes(and bombs) are far superior to allied equipment?

Nooooooo...