Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 06-27-2011, 10:15 AM
BigPickle

All mecanical drives will have 5.9, SSD's will give a 7. something score.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Approved Member

Processor: 7.5
Memory 7.7
Graphics 6.9
Gaming Graphics 6.9
PHD: 5.9

Overall (by lowest) 5.9.

I actually think this is a pretty decent attempt to overcome the vast differences in hardware/software output and compile a general 'performance index'. I wouldn't mind seeing these levels stated on the back of game boxes etc 'must have WEI of 6 to play this game' etc.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Approved Member

I found some info on this if you feel your SSD drive score seems low. chk out post by elmo2006 about 1/2 way down thread. It did give me a good boost in that ssd score.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...ahci-mode-only
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

Processor: 7.6
Memory 7.9
Graphics 7.9
Gaming Graphics 7.9
SSD: 7.5
Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

AARPRazorbacks, you think that someone who questions Microsoft's simplistic, and self-evidently flawed, 'rating' system is a troll do you? Ok, then find some links to knowledgeable outside sources that think it should be used as a tool for determining hardware/software compatibility.

It is a gimmick, and/or a way for Microsoft to boost sales. Anyone wishing to know what hardware is needed to run an application should look at the recommended specification, not at numbers pulled out of a hat.
Head tracking: TrackIR 5. Sore neck: See previous.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
AARPRazorbacks, you think that someone who questions Microsoft's simplistic, and self-evidently flawed, 'rating' system is a troll do you? Ok, then find some links to knowledgeable outside sources that think it should be used as a tool for determining hardware/software compatibility.

It is a gimmick, and/or a way for Microsoft to boost sales. Anyone wishing to know what hardware is needed to run an application should look at the recommended specification, not at numbers pulled out of a hat.
+1

This IS NOT a accurate way of grading ones PC... i have 7.9 on everything apart from my HDD which is 5.9... guess what score i get... 5.9 beacause it is the lowest grade shown..

Its not a professional piece of benchmarking by any means..
Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

Ze-Jamz gets 7.9 for his HD 6950, I get 6.4 for an HD 6970, and we are supposed to take the figures seriously? Yeah, right....

Bullpoop!
Head tracking: TrackIR 5. Sore neck: See previous.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
+1

This IS NOT a accurate way of grading ones PC... i have 7.9 on everything apart from my HDD which is 5.9... guess what score i get... 5.9 beacause it is the lowest grade shown..

Its not a professional piece of benchmarking by any means..
May just be my common-sense hat slipping, but surely from a technical standpoint it doesn't matter how powerful your graphics card is if your hard-drive can't transfer the data fast enough? If so, then the lower score due to the HD would be accurate..

'Course I know jack about this kinda thing, but you know, seemed to make sense..
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
May just be my common-sense hat slipping, but surely from a technical standpoint it doesn't matter how powerful your graphics card is if your hard-drive can't transfer the data fast enough? If so, then the lower score due to the HD would be accurate..

'Course I know jack about this kinda thing, but you know, seemed to make sense..
You are correct Sir on what you state..however my point still stands

I could go from a HD5770 1gig to a HD6950 2gig and my score doesn't change...so does that mean that based on your assumption that i wouldn't see an increase in FPS ingame?

Thats my first point, my second is that fact that this couldny possibly be used for a professional benchmarking program..no ifs or buts

As already stated its a 'Windows' toy..nothing more
Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
You are correct Sir on what you state..however my point still stands

I could go from a HD5770 1gig to a HD6950 2gig and my score doesn't change...so does that mean that based on your assumption that i wouldn't see an increase in FPS ingame?

Thats my first point, my second is that fact that this couldny possibly be used for a professional benchmarking program..no ifs or buts

As already stated its a 'Windows' toy..nothing more
I'm sure you would see an increase, but (hat again) as a result of better use of what is already being piped through to the GPU... the HD bottleneck still exists, and no matter how much you upgrade your GPU, you would run into it eventually. Your GPU score would go up, but still be limited by the HD.

But yeah it's certainly not immediately apparent what the numbers actually mean, or how to usefully apply them to either hardware or software. Not a great system, but as a move towards a global 'shorthand' for system requirements, I think it's a reasonable first step.