Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoo View Post
I tried running COD at 1024x768. Looks and playes amazing. Too bad I need a microfying glass to see whats happening.
take a old 21" or more CRT for little money and enjoy

I run it in Window on 1280x800 with an outdated P4 ; enough for a quick play or testing.

but i noticed a huge fps drop from outside view (30-50fps!) to inside the cockpit (only 15-22fps)....and fps didn´t increase on reargunnerposition or looking straight to the sky without any cockpitstructure insight.

any idea or solution for that behaviour ?? could be the immense Pilot or Gunner textures (4mb ?) the reason...loaded still in background ???
Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Formula88

If you have a mid to high range PC then playing at 1920x1080 should not be a problem. I can run it pretty well except when flying over London, there the FPS is still playable but I wouldnt want to dogfight like that.

I have to disagree with the statement some make about not needing AA in a game if you set the resolution high enough. Even at 1920x1080 there are still alot of jagged edges especially on aircraft at medium/long distance. Personally if I see jaggies in my games I feel that I've just wasted alot of money on a PC and might as well just play on an XBOX...4x AA is a must for me.
Anistropic filtering is nice, but the effects of this arent as noticable as AA is and I can live with that on 4x or even off if it has some performance gains.
AA doesnt seem to work with CoD right now so there is no choice but to deal with it. Alot of the people complaining about FPS on these forums seem to have really dated hardware and I have no sympathy for that, get a job, make some money and keep your system up to date if you want to play the latest games with the eye candy on.

However, there are also alot of reports of low FPS on high end systems as well so hardware cannot be entirely to blame here. Considering how many things are actually broken in this sim I am not surprised at all to find it poorly optimized. This is the way of the industry it now seems. For me the game is very playable on all medium settings, with high model and damage decal settings. My specs, while not killer, are mid range.

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 Motherboard
AMD Phenom2 965 BE Quad@3.6ghz
8GB ADATA gaming series RAM@1333 CL9
ATI 5770 Vid card by Asus
1000W bronze PSU
Asetek 120mm Liquid CPU cooler Push/pull
AZZA Solano Full tower w/9 fans including Kingston RAM cooler
Some Green, Red and Blue LED lights to make everything pretty
Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula88 View Post
If you have a mid to high range PC then playing at 1920x1080 should not be a problem. I can run it pretty well except when flying over London, there the FPS is still playable but I wouldnt want to dogfight like that.

I have to disagree with the statement some make about not needing AA in a game if you set the resolution high enough. Even at 1920x1080 there are still alot of jagged edges especially on aircraft at medium/long distance. Personally if I see jaggies in my games I feel that I've just wasted alot of money on a PC and might as well just play on an XBOX...4x AA is a must for me.
Anistropic filtering is nice, but the effects of this arent as noticable as AA is and I can live with that on 4x or even off if it has some performance gains.
AA doesnt seem to work with CoD right now so there is no choice but to deal with it. Alot of the people complaining about FPS on these forums seem to have really dated hardware and I have no sympathy for that, get a job, make some money and keep your system up to date if you want to play the latest games with the eye candy on.

However, there are also alot of reports of low FPS on high end systems as well so hardware cannot be entirely to blame here. Considering how many things are actually broken in this sim I am not surprised at all to find it poorly optimized. This is the way of the industry it now seems. For me the game is very playable on all medium settings, with high model and damage decal settings. My specs, while not killer, are mid range.

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 Motherboard
AMD Phenom2 965 BE Quad@3.6ghz
8GB ADATA gaming series RAM@1333 CL9
ATI 5770 Vid card by Asus
1000W bronze PSU
Asetek 120mm Liquid CPU cooler Push/pull
AZZA Solano Full tower w/9 fans including Kingston RAM cooler
Some Green, Red and Blue LED lights to make everything pretty
If you turned down your resolution you could play with ALL HIGH settings
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubanskiloewe View Post
take a old 21" or more CRT for little money and enjoy

I run it in Window on 1280x800 with an outdated P4 ; enough for a quick play or testing.

but i noticed a huge fps drop from outside view (30-50fps!) to inside the cockpit (only 15-22fps)....and fps didn´t increase on reargunnerposition or looking straight to the sky without any cockpitstructure insight.

any idea or solution for that behaviour ?? could be the immense Pilot or Gunner textures (4mb ?) the reason...loaded still in background ???
Usually I would say that you still have the Spitfire's mirror on and forgot to press M to removed it (gains about 8 fps) but I know you fly Bf109s

I have exactly the opposite: lower fps external view (above ground) than inside.
The only thing could imagine in your case is that your card has too little VRAM and it gets overloaded by the graphics in the cockpit. Maybe if you press F10 to disable the interactive cocpit your fps will pick up (just a thought).

~S~
Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
Usually I would say that you still have the Spitfire's mirror on and forgot to press M to removed it (gains about 8 fps) but I know you fly Bf109s

I have exactly the opposite: lower fps external view (above ground) than inside.
The only thing could imagine in your case is that your card has too little VRAM and it gets overloaded by the graphics in the cockpit. Maybe if you press F10 to disable the interactive cocpit your fps will pick up (just a thought).

~S~
thx for reply.... meanwhile i´m flying more red planes and be sure i disabled any mirror in IL2 and here....makes near 10fps...than i got the most fps in spifire cockpit without mirror with 25-30fps (best playable)
109 cockpit 23-25.....Hurri cockpit 20-23 and the worst is 110 with 17-22

click on Outside view with 6 or more planes rapidly goes up to 40-50 over the nice sea!

but why the heck does fps in cockpit didnt increase even if im looking straight to heaven....??? i think something is bad programmed.

sure outside over a city its still slide show for me (5-10fps) since last patch load much more or alle groundobjects; number of groundobjects in video options doesnt care about that anymore....after first patch it was better (less objects).

got a HIS HD 4670 with 512mb (128bit) old AGP slot and runs pretty good without any graphic mistakes here...mainbord and P4 are the bottleneck; old 2GB DDR 333 Ram on xp+sp3 and DX9c but stable as hell...and clean.

so pls let me know if there are some "news" about huge fps differences between out and insight view or the immense fps drop in cockpit.

Last edited by kubanskiloewe; 04-20-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

find it out now...the reason for those immense fps drops in some cockpits are the soundfiles....when i shut down one engine in the 110 fps rises from 17-22 and with cuttung down the second i got 27fps.

but o wonder i take a look at the soundfiles and whoaaa some are sampled at 2822kb/s and big like 3MB for one of the Merlin .... for the 110 in cockpit are near 10MB soundfiles !

I really hope jafaem can quickly fix that for better compression and better soundfiles too ..... i for myself try to resample them at lower kb/s for increasing fps.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubanskiloewe View Post
find it out now...the reason for those immense fps drops in some cockpits are the soundfiles....when i shut down one engine in the 110 fps rises from 17-22 and with cuttung down the second i got 27fps.

but o wonder i take a look at the soundfiles and whoaaa some are sampled at 2822kb/s and big like 3MB for one of the Merlin .... for the 110 in cockpit are near 10MB soundfiles !

I really hope jafaem can quickly fix that for better compression and better soundfiles too ..... i for myself try to resample them at lower kb/s for increasing fps.
What makes you so sure it is the sound? Wouldn't a engine physics be a more reasonable explanation with the same symptoms (engine off = no engine calculations)?
Just a thought..
Or is that fps drop only noticeable in cockpit?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

it´s only in the cockpit even when looking straight to blue sky without any cockpitstructure insight.

i resampled now only one of the cockpitsound to the half of size at 1411kb/s and now it´s 449kb instead of 899kb original....i´ve got some original sounds from my vid´s and hope to find time to cut and convert....should be still better sounding with less filesize ....seems 705kb/s works

the outside samplefiles all together for the 110 are about 2,5MB instaed of near 10MB ! from the cokpitsounds.... strange

Last edited by kubanskiloewe; 04-21-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

i see
Old 04-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Approved Member

I would like to mention I can play this game fine after forcing my video card to max clocks, and its a 1gb 6850. The reason I had massive improvements with lowered screen resolution is because it wasnt making my video card move from it's idle clocks. So i was playing with my GPU clocks at 300mhz/300mhz. Now that they are 925/1125 while the game is running i can run at 60+fps