Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Mods, discussions, links, etc.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
Right now we're not getting a very good facsimile of either when in fly-by mode.
+1

He||, I'd be happy with the original K5054 2-bladed fixed prop flyby sound! LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkubani View Post
From a virtual pilot point of view: fly by sounds are the least important sounds in any flight simulator. 99% of the sim time we spend in the "office" = cockpit.

Basically, you may appreciate nice fly by only if you are sitting on the runway with your engine off and conopy open. How many of us do that? And if yes, how often? The important sounds are the ones you hear from the cockpit. We should seek top fidelity there. External sounds are more for movie makers than for virtual pilots.

I don't know the limitations / priorities of IL-2 1C team, but fly bys would be on the bottom of my list. Cockpit sounds on the very top, on the other hand.

My 2 cents.

My thoughts as well, can't recall listening to the fly by sounds, if I want too hear a Merlin fly by I will take a look at youtube for a real one, it is a flight sim after all, the idea is to be in the cockpit.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupo162 View Post
from what ive heard the fact that modders dont have to worry about copyrights has a lot to do with it (you dont actually think Modders record themselfs every plane in il2 do you? )
lol, you cannot copyright a 'sound'. When was the last time you heard of anyone being sued by Rolls Royce over the sound of a Merlin.

You can buy engine sounds for as little as $1 from lots of different websites.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger27 View Post
My thoughts as well, can't recall listening to the fly by sounds, if I want too hear a Merlin fly by I will take a look at youtube for a real one, it is a flight sim after all, the idea is to be in the cockpit.
So on that logic it shouldn't be modelled,very strange.Don't forget you are not always in the cockpit with it shut.Don't forget that if and when the game opens up as was supposed to happen in the future where you can do other things such as ground AAA duties you would need to hear them then.
It should be modelled and properly,it is a huge part of the sim.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
lol, you cannot copyright a 'sound'. When was the last time you heard of anyone being sued by Rolls Royce over the sound of a Merlin.

Would that remain the same if you used it in a commercial product? I would expect there would be a price for unit sold. Anyway Luthier said that the sounds are not finished yet so I expect a lot more to come.
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2048MB GDDR5
Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post

Ah, the joys of a simple world.

The problem is not so much Rolls Royce, but the guy/company that did the recordings. Professional recordings require quite a bit of very sophisticated equipment, especially if you want to catch the whole bandwith from idle to full power from both inside and outside the cockpit as well as different angles from outside. You also need an aircraft owner willing to let his aircraft being used in this way, which usually comes with a fee as well.

Understandably, those people doing those recordings want a bit of money for the effort putting into that.

I kinda doubt that getting some recordings with a home camera at a flight show will do the job.
Going by that, I'd really like to see some professional sound recordings with everything required for 1$. Some links would be great.

Last edited by Bewolf; 09-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

You patent an invention; you secure trademark rights in a symbol associated with your company or product. . Sure, you can get one on a sound. MGM registered the roar of its lion as a trademark, and NBC registered its three-toned chime as a service mark.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkubani View Post
From a virtual pilot point of view: fly by sounds are the least important sounds in any flight simulator. 99% of the sim time we spend in the "office" = cockpit.

Basically, you may appreciate nice fly by only if you are sitting on the runway with your engine off and conopy open. How many of us do that? And if yes, how often? The important sounds are the ones you hear from the cockpit. We should seek top fidelity there. External sounds are more for movie makers than for virtual pilots.

I don't know the limitations / priorities of IL-2 1C team, but fly bys would be on the bottom of my list. Cockpit sounds on the very top, on the other hand.

My 2 cents.
well, you can definitely hear a flyby sound when you get jumped by another plane, and this is in real life too.

I think the truth is that for years they didn't bother about fixing the sounds simply cos it wasn't a priority to them. Let's be frank, IL-2 interface and attention to details has never been one meant for immersion like you had in all the other games.. The whole IL-2 saga can kind of be regarded as a never ending beta really.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
So on that logic it shouldn't be modelled,very strange.Don't forget you are not always in the cockpit with it shut.Don't forget that if and when the game opens up as was supposed to happen in the future where you can do other things such as ground AAA duties you would need to hear them then.
It should be modelled and properly,it is a huge part of the sim.
+1

Besides, external sounds and flybys are a feature of this sim. If it's going to be done, then it should be done right. I've never understood the thinking that "This is the way you should be enjoying the sim -- MY way. YOUR way is wrong!" Because I happen to enjoy -bigtime- going external frequently to watch -- and hear -- the action from that perspective it's wrong? Or not as important????

Devs: please fix the sounds that need fixing. Especially the Merlin external and flyby sounds.

IMHO, all sounds should be done correctly, not just those that interest a few.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

what is wrong with you? the sound are still beta! they still working on it and they will still be in beta after this official patch.

then don't worry... and don't ask dev to work on sound...they already do it!