Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Armored Princess

King's Bounty: Armored Princess Sequel to the critically acclaimed King’s Bounty: The Legend.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Approved Member

travelingoz, yes i am well aware of the medal's description and its meaning. But we are talking about the logic behind trap spell. It's main purpose is to stop enemy units not to kill them completely. To kill enemy units we have many many different(and often better) offensive spells. So why would i want to use an inferior(in damage) spell to kill enemy stacks?

So we use trap
- To stop a fast moving unit so that it cannot reach us.
- Or towards end of battle to delay the last enemy stack by a turn or two so we get enough time to heal/resurrect our unit, Dig up the treasures etc.

If you are using traps primarily to kill enemy stacks then you are doing it wrong. In fact we all are doing it wrong becuase it is the only way to get that medal.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Approved Member

In any case, the trap can be used to stop the enemies' advance, so you lose nothing this way. Use it for that and be happy

Oh, wait. in addition to stopping them, you want a medal for that. Well, in my opinion, that is a bit selfish. If you want the medal, do it the proper way. There are 300 battles in the game. Successfully trap 1 unit each 3 battles (and that doesn't cost a lot of nerves) and you will get the medal.

And with all due respect, nobody forces you to get that medal. It doesn't do anything to improve the score. In fact, as a warrior and paladin, where you need to take the fight to the enemy, those traps on the battlefield will simply hinder your tactical options. As such, I fail to see what is the problem and why are you unhappy.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Approved Member

"It's main purpose is to stop enemy units not to kill them completely"

That may well be the way you find most useful for the trap spell but that has nothing to do with the idea of achieving the trap medal. The medal and it's bonuses are a reward for using the spell creatively! The idea that you're proposing requires little creativity and is unfairly biased towards mages.

If that's the way you want to use it then fine don't worry about the medal. If you're prepared to use it creatively then the medal rewards you for that. Pure and simple.

IMHO, the Grand Strategy and Trap Medal's feel great every time you level them up because you had to work hard to get there. On the other hand, the others are nice when they level but there's just not that same satisfaction.

BTW The Trap Spell for a mage with high intellect can deliver well over 8000 damage and poison! That certainly is more than just a friendly grab around the ankle!

EDIT: Damm DGD got me again!

Last edited by travelingoz; 11-24-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: DGD got me again!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

Sorry mate I just type quickly I totally agree with your assessment of the trap medal though. I personally find it a fun medal - putting a trap and watching the AI rushing towards my weak stack, steps on it... Bang! Dead. Sorry, Johnny, no cookies for you today!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Approved Member

Me too! Especially at lower levels when the trap doesn't do a lot of damage so your trying to figure out how to weaken the stack without killing it and placing the spell so it gets stepped on.

Also it's great fun ambushing those pesky assassins with a trap placed in the right place too!

Last edited by travelingoz; 11-24-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingoz View Post
"It's main purpose is to stop enemy units not to kill them completely"

That may well be the way you find most useful for the trap spell but that has nothing to do with the idea of achieving the trap medal. The medal and it's bonuses are a reward for using the spell creatively! The idea that you're proposing requires little creativity and is unfairly biased towards mages.
In fact I find the idea of using trap spell against their logical purpose no fun at all. It's not that i cannot achieve the medal requirements, i have trapped 50 units successfully and just completed Bolo(3rd) island, but its their medal requirement flying away in the face of logic that's getting me.

Also this game(KBAP) is seriously biased towards Warriors so a little help with mages is a welcome respite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGDobrev View Post
Oh, wait. in addition to stopping them, you want a medal for that. Well, in my opinion, that is a bit selfish. If you want the medal, do it the proper way.
I think we are discussing what the proper way should be for medal requirements. And nobody is proposing to make requirements easy that is why in earlier posted somebody pointed out we should increase the requirements to a high no. like 700 and something and make the counter count whenever the trap is sprung.

Last edited by supersonu1; 11-24-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Approved Member

Indeed. However, if you master the sneaking tactic, you will find the game as a mage much more rewarding. Now I'm halfway through the game on impossible as a mage, no losses whatsoever and I doubt I spent more than 60-70k on troops for 31 levels. Sacrifice, target, Traps and Stone skin for the win!

At least for now.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:15 AM
Approved Member

I had my first encounter with executioners today, and I discovered, to my dismay, that their ability text has an error. They have an ability called terrify, which, according to the description text (sorry, I don't remember the exact wording) works something like a similar ability belonging to devilfish, namely that they have a chance of casting fear on the enemy when they attack. However, I discovered that what it actually means is that when an enemy attacks the executioner, there is a chance that they will have fear cast on them, which doesn't seem to make a difference, but it does, since that means that your ranged troops on the other side of the battlefield can get fear cast on them just by attacking the executioner.

The wording was something like "On attacking, there is a 30% chance that enemies of level 1-4 will become terrified etc etc", which is terribly ambiguous, since it is not clear who is doing the attacking; and the existence of devilfish would tend to make one assume that it is the executioner's attacks that cause this effect.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Approved Member

Oh yeah, this is true. Demologists occasionally summon executioners... and it's like BAM time when they do. Infinite retal, awesome support abilities... they are amazingly good units. They often get attacked a lot, retaliate a lot, and due to their fear ability, weaken an opposing armies ability to fight back. Fear most anything, and your dragons are free to swoop about.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGDobrev View Post

Oh, wait. in addition to stopping them, you want a medal for that. Well, in my opinion, that is a bit selfish. If you want the medal, do it the proper way. There are 300 battles in the game. Successfully trap 1 unit each 3 battles (and that doesn't cost a lot of nerves) and you will get the medal.

And with all due respect, nobody forces you to get that medal. It doesn't do anything to improve the score. In fact, as a warrior and paladin, where you need to take the fight to the enemy, those traps on the battlefield will simply hinder your tactical options. As such, I fail to see what is the problem and why are you unhappy.
no it's not selfish. those ways you suggested in the first page of the topic are impossible to use in the beginning due to lack of those troops and abilities. and in the late game I can see no reason to use trap.

not to mention that you have to use trap in the first round of the fight because in round 2 you are already engaged in hand-to-hand combat and it's pretty useless to use traps. and you can't kill anything with it. and you can't have another spell that round. it's probably more usable with the mage who can cast more spells per round and maybe in 2 rounds you can have manny traps placed.

i'd rather have trap medal without killing, but with more uses.
I want to get all medals, that's what I want, no matter warrior, mage or palladin. it's about self-respect
but the way it's been designed is rather akward.

I hope to see it changed in a patch.