Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Mods

Mods Everything about mods

Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Approved Member

Just couple of my thoughts :

1) rename mod to Toddlers of Might & Magic for goofs

2) about cannoners, i forgot to mention my idea (i already did it in my game files). I changed their special attack, so it`s aoe like druid/necromancer`s range attack. It seemed logical since they shoot salve of cannon balls in certain direction, so they make dmg to area not just single target. Their usual attack is same as before, hit 1 target, but i made it so salve hit 7 hex area with full dmg to central, and 50% penalty to nearby. Looks like this :
Code:
  megathrow {
    dontusenearenemy=1
    class=throw
    distance=7
    reload=3
    base_attack=0
    mindist=2
    penalty=0.5
    animation=power/megatag/thtarget
    picture=BA1_CannoneerFire_
    picture_small=BA1_CannoneerFire_small.png
    throw=cannonround
    hinthead=special_rembo_head
    hint=special_rembo_hint
    framekey=x
    7in1=0.5
    damage {
      physical=18,30
Bold text is only thing i added. This is great help in item battles, since in this mod towers are horrible to destroy in item`s 4-5 lvl

3) after this discussion on spells and effects (burn/poison) , i remembered my old idea. Anything comes at your mind Mat about making spell for +poison dmg to units, like hell breath. Hell breath is great vs elves/undead since they have low tolerance to fire dmg, and giving hell breath to main dmg dealer is useful. So how about having similar spell to help against demons/dragons. I tried before to make new spell and just got lost in game files, since there is lots of files connected to spell mechanics.
So ppl pls vote spell you hate most to get rid off , and change it`s ingame settings to `venom touch` (my idea of naming it

I`m off
Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Approved Member

Lightbulb Good Ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatt_Shade View Post
Just couple of my thoughts :

1) rename mod to Toddlers of Might & Magic for goofs
Ha! That's funny!

Quote:
2) about cannoners, i forgot to mention my idea (i already did it in my game files). I changed their special attack, so it`s aoe like druid/necromancer`s range attack. It seemed logical since they shoot salve of cannon balls in certain direction, so they make dmg to area not just single target. Their usual attack is same as before, hit 1 target, but i made it so salve hit 7 hex area with full dmg to central, and 50% penalty to nearby. Looks like this :
Code:
  megathrow {
    dontusenearenemy=1
    class=throw
    distance=7
    reload=3
    base_attack=0
    mindist=2
    penalty=0.5
    animation=power/megatag/thtarget
    picture=BA1_CannoneerFire_
    picture_small=BA1_CannoneerFire_small.png
    throw=cannonround
    hinthead=special_rembo_head
    hint=special_rembo_hint
    framekey=x
    7in1=0.5
    damage {
      physical=18,30
Bold text is only thing i added. This is great help in item battles, since in this mod towers are horrible to destroy in item`s 4-5 lvl
I really like this idea! I'll implement it in my next update, giving you credit!

Quote:
3) after this discussion on spells and effects (burn/poison) , i remembered my old idea. Anything comes at your mind Mat about making spell for +poison dmg to units, like hell breath. Hell breath is great vs elves/undead since they have low tolerance to fire dmg, and giving hell breath to main dmg dealer is useful. So how about having similar spell to help against demons/dragons. I tried before to make new spell and just got lost in game files, since there is lots of files connected to spell mechanics.
So ppl pls vote spell you hate most to get rid off , and change it`s ingame settings to `venom touch` (my idea of naming it

I`m off
Yep, I like this one, too. Just need a picture for it (could possible modify something already existing...

Matt

/C\/C\
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Approved Member

Exclamation Bugs Update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorko80 View Post
Now some bugs I encountered :
-Another 2 heroes that dont appear in battle : Zombie Noric and Thorny Dog
-Red Beard tries to cast something,maybe it's phantom ,but it just gives a writing on the screen and nothing happens.
-Drammina has the shroud bug . I removed shroud from her spells and left her with the other two. One of them was the ghost blade I think, but it was strange that she didn't cast anything for the first 2 turns of the fight.
As far as I can tell, both of these heroes work correctly. Red Beard seems to cast all his spells normally and so does Drammina. Shroud was fixed in a previous update and so she was casting it normally.

I also had a min_score for spell casting to remove spells with really low probabilities, but it looks like certain heroes have very low spell scores. So I set min_score to 0 and will rely on low probability instead. This will be in the next update...

Quote:
-The Archmage's Telekinesis is not working correctly or maybe you changed it somehow. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, I couldn't figure it out.
I tried 2 different saves and it worked both times. So not sure what the problem you're having is...

Quote:
-The Royal Thorn's Entangle skill works on ghosts ,no logic in that.
Okay, I didn't know that Ghosts have their own movement type (-2, the only units that move like this). I have now added their movement type (1, which is for floaters was already there) to the logic to check for determining whether Entangle can be cast / work (i.e. Ent Posthit) on Ghosts. This will be included in the next update...

Quote:
-You added a decription to the Giants that says they can't be frozen, but the Lina's Ice thorns did freeze them.
I added check for Freeze Immunity (freeze_immunitet) to Lina's Ice Thorns so that units with this feature cannot be frozen. This will be included in the next update...

Okay, thanks for pointing out the issues here! For the ones I couldn't duplicate, just keep an eye on them and let me know if you see them again in the future...

Matt

/C\/C\

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 06-08-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Added one more bug update...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I have some ideas to make the normal battles tougher, but I was saving them for AP / CW and then possibly roll them back into TL.
I like that

Quote:
You know, when I play TL now, I do as much as possible without even fighting, I think the last game I played I got up to level 5 or 6 before I even fought my first fight.

There are quite a few quests that you can do before you go to the Western Islands without fighting - it sounds like you are also using this strategy.
Yes. I use that. Usually when I get access to a new area, I try to get what I can and then start fighting.

Quote:
When I first did my TL mod development, I was not nearly as good as I am now. Also, I didn't know how to edit the *.LOC files, etc.

Now that I've gained all this experience with not only modding and playing TL, I've got some even better ideas for making it harder.

So we'll see how it goes as I continue to work on AP / CW and eventually roll what I learn there back into TL..
Sounds good

Quote:
The problem with the normal battles is that you simply have a huge advantage against them as they have no spell caster to help them.
That's why the creatures should be stronger and bigger in numbers to compensate for your spells and spirits. And the player must think hard what ability or spell to use,not just throwing armies at each other.

Quote:
I do not currently know how to implement the immobile guards, but this sounds like a good idea. Although I think I'm a bit spoiled as I really enjoy running around everyone to get the goodies (plus it gives me a chance to get Gerda), but you are right about putting garrisons to make the game more challenging.

I'll have to learn how to affect the creatures movement paths as I have no idea on how to do this.

Wow, you know all the shortcut strategies. Immobile guards sounds like a good idea - looks like I've got more to learn!
The immobile guards are a very important part of the game. You should fight your way to the goodies , not just get everything for free, it feels more rewarding. And also make you think : Can I kill those guys now,what will I lose, does it worth it ,what will I gain and so on...
While on the subject - the guards for the book of the Dead in elven lands are also easy to bypass and that opens the way to dragons ,runes and quests too easily. In GM there are 2 guards of each book - 1 in elven lands and 1 in death lands,both immobile, it is way more challenging.
About Gerda - you have no problem with accessing her earlier ,because she is in lower haddar and the immobile guard should be in a narrow area when you enter Taron Mines. So enjoy

Quote:
Your Charger mileage will probably start to decrease when it becomes more important to do damage than replenish mana / rage. Also, you don't get much experience for Lina if you use them a lot, so I think you'll find that the Chargers strategy will put you at a disadvantage later, with a lower level Lina (which you'll need for her to get some levels otherwise you'll be in big trouble later).
We'll see about that

Quote:
If you're playing no loss, you really only need a very small amount of money to buy enough troops if you stick with them throughout the game.
Ofcourse I try to play always with zero losses ,but thats not an ultimate goal, I like to make calculations : what if I kill that army now, I will lose something, but probably gain more, do I have enough money to buy my army again, is there enough army in the shops and so on...

Quote:
I like to trade wives and switch armies a lot so I end up spending a lot more money on troops than normal to take advantage of the wife / kid bonuses...
About the life change : it's a bit annoying when I changed my wife in elven lands and then 40 battles waiting for new kids. The first time it's ok, but now it make my hero much weaker,the battles are harder ,but still it is boring to wait so long. And not knowing what bonuses I'll have makes me reluctant to change the wife. I did it just to see what happens ,but if I play 2nd time I probably will not do it. Feanora did gave me good bonuses. A proposal : make a list of the possible babies that the wife offers, so the player can make at least some estimation,if it's worth it to make the change. And reduce the fights needed from 2nd wife onwards to 5 combats per kid.

Quote:
Yah, meditation is a toughie to make useful, but the Runes aren't really that much, although I can see not putting much into it until you start using a lot of level 3 spells and find that you're low on mana a lot.
Maybe adding +1 intelligence will help, that goes also to Scouting, it just stays to lvl1 and currently I will not spend more runes on it.

Quote:
Yah, well you can see that I left all the original items alone. You can actually get that artifact without fighting a single battle at the beginning of the game, so it is still useful early. You just out grow it quickly if you're a mage. It is still useful to Warrior and perhaps Paladin...
That doesn't sound good. If it is too hard to change the arts don't do it, but if it's not, then it's a must, because you leave a part of the game useless. After all balance is the most important part of the game. At least 50% increase to the mana arts is needed.

Quote:
Well, you'll be cursing it when it's used on you and it lasts that long! Plus, you probably haven't noticed, but a unit's resistance affects spell duration. Cast spells on troops with magic resistance and the spell duration increases if it is a bonus spell or decreases if it is a penalty. Fire resistance affects the duration of burn, etc.
I noticed that right away,no worries and I like it. Still it's too powerful. It was cast on me and that's not much of a problem, the problem is ,that the enemy can't react always to it and the neutrals can't at all, so my opinion is that it is way unbalanced in the moment. Base duration for Sheep should be at least -1.

Quote:
I didn't change this - but I think I can understand the logic. The cannonball actually might do even more damage if you were in front of it!

I don't think I'd want to stand in front of a cannon!
You are not picturing this in your head clearly , there is no way in real fight that some swordsman army will sit in a row in front of the cannon and wait . All be involved in melee and it will be impossible for the canonners to operate the cannon ,henceforth the melee penalty.

Quote:
I don't think Bugs Bunny can stick his carrot into the barrel and have it explode in the Cannoneer's face! Ha! That'd be funny!

Quote:
That's what you think!

Big Pato has a skill tree just like you and he picked his level-ups just like you picked yours! So he decided to pick a couple of Mage School Skills and spent his hard-earned crystals on learning some spells!

So leave poor Big Pato alone!
It is a good fight again. But it is nice for a change to fight raw power and highly boosted units without magic. That's my point.

Quote:
I really like a lot of the game mechanics that I've added to TL and it has been a great learning experience. The developers have made the expansions a lot more robust with respect to modding in AP / CW (and hopefully WotN, too). For example, if you misspell a template macro in TL and highlight the item, the game just freezes! In AP / CW, the game says #NF so that you can go fix it!
I think that is exactly what the game said when I fought Red Beard. Will recheck it later.

Quote:
So I'll see what I can do about modding WotN, too, but I've got to be careful not to spread myself too thin, otherwise I'll end up working on this forever and not get anything done!
No rush needed . But WotN needs far more then just the things you've done to TL. The only part thats interesting and balanced are the 4 initial Islands and then when you kill the spider it gets messy,boring,ultimately easy. I hope you will have the patience to change it,I have many ideas. The russian top modders are so disappointed in it ,that don't want to do it and for now it's frozen .

Thanks for your time

P. S. Really like the idea of Fatt Shade about the spell with poison damage boost

Last edited by jorko80; 06-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Approved Member

Smile Very good points!

Quote:
That's why the creatures should be stronger and bigger in numbers to compensate for your spells and spirits. And the player must think hard what ability or spell to use,not just throwing armies at each other.
I got some ideas here...

Quote:
The immobile guards are a very important part of the game. You should fight your way to the goodies , not just get everything for free, it feels more rewarding. And also make you think : Can I kill those guys now,what will I lose, does it worth it ,what will I gain and so on...
While on the subject - the guards for the book of the Dead in elven lands are also easy to bypass and that opens the way to dragons ,runes and quests too easily. In GM there are 2 guards of each book - 1 in elven lands and 1 in death lands,both immobile, it is way more challenging.
About Gerda - you have no problem with accessing her earlier ,because she is in lower haddar and the immobile guard should be in a narrow area when you enter Taron Mines. So enjoy
Sounds like immobilizing the guards is the way to go - looks like I need to find out how to do this - is Grandmaster available for download somewhere? I can do a little comparison of the files to see how they did it...

Quote:
Ofcourse I try to play always with zero losses ,but thats not an ultimate goal, I like to make calculations : what if I kill that army now, I will lose something, but probably gain more, do I have enough money to buy my army again, is there enough army in the shops and so on...
You know, I wonder how much the original King's Bounty factored into no loss for the new King's Bounty. I've read posts here where people complain if they can't do no loss.

But if you play HOMM, then you're losing troops all the time.

So it is kind of interesting how between KB / HOMM there are these two different paradigms...

Quote:
About the life change : it's a bit annoying when I changed my wife in elven lands and then 40 battles waiting for new kids. The first time it's ok, but now it make my hero much weaker,the battles are harder ,but still it is boring to wait so long. And not knowing what bonuses I'll have makes me reluctant to change the wife. I did it just to see what happens ,but if I play 2nd time I probably will not do it. Feanora did gave me good bonuses. A proposal : make a list of the possible babies that the wife offers, so the player can make at least some estimation,if it's worth it to make the change. And reduce the fights needed from 2nd wife onwards to 5 combats per kid.
This was part of the game mechanics, but I'm not sure if you've noticed - you get higher level wives / children during the later game to compensate. For example, the wife levels are:
  1. Rina / Zombie Rina - 1
  2. Feanora / Frog Feanora - 2
  3. Mirabella - 3
  4. Gerda - 3
  5. Orcelyn - 4
  6. Diana - 4
  7. Neoka - 5
  8. Xeona - 5
And the children are the same level as their wife so you get better and better babies with the later wives.

Quote:
Maybe adding +1 intelligence will help, that goes also to Scouting, it just stays to lvl1 and currently I will not spend more runes on it.
I like this idea and will consider +1 at level 2, and probably +2 or 3 at level 3...

Quote:
hat doesn't sound good. If it is too hard to change the arts don't do it, but if it's not, then it's a must, because you leave a part of the game useless. After all balance is the most important part of the game. At least 50% increase to the mana arts is needed.
You know, I've been considering for AP / CW to change artifacts with -stats to either get rid of the -stat part or make them better so to your point, I probably should look at the original items and see if they can use a boost.

I think what I'll do here is if I make any changes to the AP / CW items I'll eventually roll those back into the TL items.

Quote:
I noticed that right away,no worries and I like it. Still it's too powerful. It was cast on me and that's not much of a problem, the problem is ,that the enemy can't react always to it and the neutrals can't at all, so my opinion is that it is way unbalanced in the moment. Base duration for Sheep should be at least -1.
Well, unfortunately, Sheep duration is 1, 2, 3 - so it is already minimum with a minimum increase in duration for each level. Plus you're spending 22, 38, and 55 mana for affecting level 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4 troops. So a Warrior will spend 55 mana and if they are lucky, may get it up to 4 duration if they have 15 Intellect @Sheep Level 3. The Warrior's Mana pool is roughly half the Mage's (just like the Mage's Rage pool is roughly half the Warrior's) so expect them to have about 100 or so mana. At Level 3 Sheep, this would be 50% of the Warrior's mana pool for one Sheep cast. For mage, you can probably get it up to 6 turns if you get yourself to 45 Intellect and it would be roughly 25% of your mana pool. Don't forget that it is also adjusted by enemy magic resistance so it could get reduced if you cast it on an Elf troop (they usually have magic resistance), for example.

So I think you'll find that the cost / duration are appropriate...

Quote:
You are not picturing this in your head clearly , there is no way in real fight that some swordsman army will sit in a row in front of the cannon and wait . All be involved in melee and it will be impossible for the canonners to operate the cannon ,henceforth the melee penalty.
Evidently not! Maybe I got hit in the head with the cannon!

Okay, all kidding aside, I didn't change this, but it sounds like you think that Cannoneers should have a melee penalty. So I will consider...

Quote:
No rush needed . But WotN needs far more then just the things you've done to TL. The only part thats interesting and balanced are the 4 initial Islands and then when you kill the spider it gets messy,boring,ultimately easy. I hope you will have the patience to change it,I have many ideas. The russian top modders are so disappointed in it ,that don't want to do it and for now it's frozen .

Thanks for your time

P. S. Really like the idea of Fatt Shade about the spell with poison damage boost
Yah, that's the daunting task ahead of us for WotN - it needs a lot of work! I haven't even played it much, but I heard about Marshan Swamp and Demonis.

Okay, let me spill the beans on what is either under consideration or going to be implemented in AP / CW with respect to difficulty level changes.
  • Difficulty Level Parameters:
    • rndrecharge - round at which enemy units automatically have their charged attacks recharged. I might make it round at which they gain +1 charge, we'll see... The roundehero/tower/boss will be additive to this. So if you're fighting normal stacks, their charged attacks will be recharged every 5 rounds, if they have a hero, every 10.
    • espelldur - number of rounds to add to enemy bonus spell / ability duration and subtract from enemy penalty spell / ability duration. For example, I think Hard will be +1 and Impossible +2. So if enemy mage casts Shield, then it will last 1 additional round on Hard and 2 on impossible. Conversely, if you cast Slow on enemy units, they will have that spell for -1 round on Hard and -2 on impossible. This will require some good playtesting to see if it ±2 is too much on impossible, but at least it is easily changed.
  • eunit:
    • Will be additive to enemy unit's Critical Hit. Right now with it being a multiplier, it doesn't have much affect on a unit with 5% Critical Hit. So instead it would be +25% (on Impossible) + the map location difficulty modifier for a total of +50% at game end. When I was thinking of this, I thought that units on the harder difficulty levels should have a greater percent chance of critical strike, but the multiplicative modifier just wasn't doing enough...
    • I'm also considering making eunit be additive for resistances (right now it is multiplicative and so if you have 0% resistance then it is unaffected), but I think it probably will be way too potent. Can you imagine all enemies with +50% Resistance All at the end of the game! Yikes!
    • This modifier will apply to enemy hero spell power. So they will get base +25% power to spells on Impossible + the map location modifier. So it will be like they have a Destroyer-like Skill, but applying to all spells.
    • With espelldur above, I wouldn't need to modify duration, but if I don't implement espelldur, I could use eunit to modify spell / ability duration instead.
    • This will also apply to Boss damage / duration. So once again you'll get +25% Boss damage + map location modifier on Impossible and +2 effect duration.
  • For normal stacks:
    • The most powerful stack will be the group leader (sort of like a mini hero) and will receive additional bonuses, possibly bonus spells, and I might see if I can make its representation 10% bigger so that you know they are the leader. This might make normal stacks more interesting. I may make it use eunit as a percent chance at getting certain bonuses. These won't be dispel-able most likely - we'll see...
    • I may use eunit + map location modifier as a percent chance that starting units receive a bonus and possibly your troops receive a penalty.
    • Totem-like bonuses to enemy stacks where a random negative spell is removed from them / a random positive spell is removed from your troops. Or I could have a certain percent to drop Shaman Totems on the battlefield to help enemy troops and hurt yours.
So these are some of the ideas under consideration. Hopefully this gets the juices flowing about what to consider for future implementation.

The idea is to expand eunit + map location multiplier to other aspects of the game (like the enemy hero spells and boss abilities) and make it more potent if it is having minimal impact on a certain aspect of the game. The trick is that right now enemy hero stacks are pretty much perfect, but normal stacks are too easy for the most part. You can't expect the normal stacks to be as hard as the enemy hero stacks, but some of the above might go a long way to making the normal stacks more challenging.

Okay, thanks again for the great comments!

Matt
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Sounds like immobilizing the guards is the way to go - looks like I need to find out how to do this - is Grandmaster available for download somewhere? I can do a little comparison of the files to see how they did it...
I attached the GM mod to this message.

Quote:
You know, I wonder how much the original King's Bounty factored into no loss for the new King's Bounty. I've read posts here where people complain if they can't do no loss.
They do "no loss games",because thats a way to challenge themselves . But for me it's a boring way. The game should be made harder with mods like yours for example

Quote:
But if you play HOMM, then you're losing troops all the time.
Actually I am not loosing any troops ,except some 1st level units,that are not so important in late game anyway.

Quote:
And the children are the same level as their wife so you get better and better babies with the later wives.
I have noticed that. At least a list with the possible bonuses of the babies when you you hover the mouse over the wife would be nice.

Quote:
You know, I've been considering for AP / CW to change artifacts with -stats to either get rid of the -stat part or make them better so to your point, I probably should look at the original items and see if they can use a boost.

I think what I'll do here is if I make any changes to the AP / CW items I'll eventually roll those back into the TL items.
Sounds good

Quote:
Well, unfortunately, Sheep duration is 1, 2, 3 - so it is already minimum with a minimum increase in duration for each level. Plus you're spending 22, 38, and 55 mana for affecting level 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4 troops. So a Warrior will spend 55 mana and if they are lucky, may get it up to 4 duration if they have 15 Intellect @Sheep Level 3. The Warrior's Mana pool is roughly half the Mage's (just like the Mage's Rage pool is roughly half the Warrior's) so expect them to have about 100 or so mana. At Level 3 Sheep, this would be 50% of the Warrior's mana pool for one Sheep cast. For mage, you can probably get it up to 6 turns if you get yourself to 45 Intellect and it would be roughly 25% of your mana pool. Don't forget that it is also adjusted by enemy magic resistance so it could get reduced if you cast it on an Elf troop (they usually have magic resistance), for example.

So I think you'll find that the cost / duration are appropriate...
I still don't agree. Sheep's duration should be 1,1,2 or maximum 1,2,2 and with the intel boost it will go up and ofcourse one of the babies of Feanora which gives -14% magic resistance to enemies increases the duration further. And that particular baby is like level 10 ,compared to the others.

Quote:
Evidently not! Maybe I got hit in the head with the cannon!

Okay, all kidding aside, I didn't change this, but it sounds like you think that Cannoneers should have a melee penalty. So I will consider...
Sorry about that. I initially thought that you changed this unit to have no melee penalty. Maybe I remembered it wrong from GM where it has penalty. But it's not a big deal anyway,so don't bother. Sorry one more time, I thought it's just a bug in your mod.

Quote:
[*]I'm also considering making eunit be additive for resistances (right now it is multiplicative and so if you have 0% resistance then it is unaffected), but I think it probably will be way too potent. Can you imagine all enemies with +50% Resistance All at the end of the game! Yikes!
That will make the creature unbeatable ,so probably you shouldn't do it. Otherwise your ideas sound really good. I hope you will successfully implement them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mod_17_Grossmaster.zip (673.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCaspermeyer View Post
The original Dos-based Kings Bounty was very similar in many respects:
--"Kiting" was expected. The best strategy was to buy a boat, grab as many chests as possible (chests had upgrades to leadership, upgrades to spellcasting power, spell scrolls, and increases to your weekly income), grab the handful of artifacts and most importantly, get the maps to the other continents, so you could do the same on those.
--The creatures you could recruit were more powerful on the later continents than the first one. So were the chest rewards.
--Having a single really powerful troop was usually far better than a lot of low-level troops.
--Troop morale, including the nasty morale effects of having undead/demons in your army.
--Troops might be available in limited quantities, and they cost gold to recruit, so you couldn't ignore losses. That said, I rarely had problems finding enough of the troops I wanted.
--Spells could make or break a combat.

Some differences:
--You army cost you money each week, essentially troop maintenance. Though you could amass a huge army, it might bankrupt you if you weren't careful.
--Spells were important in combat, but army size and makeup mattered far more.
--Some spells had uses outside of combat. I loved the Town Portal spell and wish there was a way to add that to the new KB. (Something like that might address the issue where players hate to lose troops, given how long it might take to go back and get more...)
--The numbers tended to be hidden. For example, my dragons could take damage, but until one dies, I really don't know how badly hurt they are.
--Only 8 artifacts, which were automatically equipped when found.

To your specific question, I don't know anyone who played the original "no loss". Of course, that game came out long before the Internet was ubiquitous, so it's not like gamers could really compete for bragging rights back then.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

Talking Thanks for GM and great comments!

Quote:
I attached the GM mod to this message.
Thanks - I took a brief look; there are a lot of files so it will take me a while to go through them...

Quote:
They do "no loss games",because thats a way to challenge themselves . But for me it's a boring way. The game should be made harder with mods like yours for example
No loss is nice if that is challenging for the player, although challenge takes many shapes.

For me, I think, it is simply to make the challenging journey more fun and interesting. It is up to the player to choose how they want to play, but my hope is that it is at least more enjoyable than it was before...

Quote:
Actually I am not loosing any troops ,except some 1st level units,that are not so important in late game anyway.
This seems more HOMM-like as you would be very judicious with keeping your higher level units from dying, while you didn't mind losing lower level units here and there...

Quote:
I still don't agree. Sheep's duration should be 1,1,2 or maximum 1,2,2 and with the intel boost it will go up and ofcourse one of the babies of Feanora which gives -14% magic resistance to enemies increases the duration further. And that particular baby is like level 10 ,compared to the others.
Fair enough, but know this:

Sheep does not work on the Undead, Plants, and Golems (because the unit needs to be at least animal like and living, not dead; Undead were included in all Sheep normal KB (TL/AP/CW/WotN)) and is second only to Hypnosis in Mana / Crystals cost for a level 1 spell. Hypnosis costs the most because not only does it neutralize an enemy troop, but allows you to employ them directly against the enemy. So Hypnosis > Sheep, at least at Level 1.

Now with that said, I have a formula for determining the increase in spell Mana / Crystal cost that is based on the increase in spell power. So for example, if Level 1 Sheep is 1 round and affects through level 2, then if Level 2 Sheep is 2 rounds and affects through level 3 then I use that for determining the Mana / Crystal cost for the spell upgrade. To keep it simple, I simply average the increase in spell power and multiply that by the Level 1 values. So for Sheep we get 22 * [ average( 2/1, 3/2 ) = 1.75 ] = 38.5, flooring gives us 38. Note that I did not average the level increase, but just the max level (either way would be valid, i.e. 1-2 is 1.5 and 1-3 is 2, which is 2/1.5 = 1.33 - this would give a smaller rise so my preference is to consider max level since I think it is more about the max level affected, not the mean). The same holds true for Level 3 Sheep: 3 rounds, level 1-4 - 22 * [ average( 3/1, 4/2 ) = 2.5 ] = 55.

Crystals are always half the Mana cost (floored).

So the spells are "automatically balanced" so long as the initial Mana cost is accurate. Currently, this is a bit more subjective, but a simple ordering of Level 1 spells by their power can help with the initial Mana / Crystal cost and this is what I've done.

Whether they are balanced from another perspective, i.e. whether 3 rounds is too high for a spell duration of this spell type is more of opinion, although I think you'll see that I like to increase all statistics unless the spell goes mass. In that case, the jump from single to mass keeps all statistics even and as it turns out (since it is like casting it 5 times if you have 5 stacks) mass spells are 5 times the Mana cost. With that said, if I used the values you proposed, the Sheep Mana / Crystal cost would come down to compensate for the Level 2 and 3 variants and so therefore the spell is perfectly balanced versus its initial cost, whether the values I propose or yours are used.

Incidentally:
  • Sheep Level 1: 1 Round, Units Level 1-2 - Mana / Crystals: 22 / 11
  • Sheep Level 2: 1 Round, Units Level 1-3 - Mana / Crystals: 27 / 13
  • Sheep Level 3: 2 Rounds, Units Level 1-4 - Mana / Crystals: 44 / 22
Those would be per your request, so if you would prefer those values then feel free to implement them in SPELLS.TXT.

I really like this system as it ensures that everything is truly balanced, since it is formulaic.

By the way, I used this system to balance the units in my Emperor of the Fading Suns Hyperion mod a long time ago and it was highly regarded by that community as one of the best mods developed for that game. EFS suffered from a serious imbalance in the units because (it seemed like anyway) that most unit statistics and resource requirements were haphazardly assigned. So I've had a lot of success using this approach in modding games before KB.

This touch is in a lot of the other areas of my mod as well, including skill abilities where I actually assign how much of the stat is increased by a Rune. For example, if a skill has +1 Attack, I usually require it to have +1 Might Rune for each point increase in Attack (+1 Defense / Mind Rune; +1 Intellect / Magic Rune). Once again this lends itself to automatically balancing it because every Rune is quantified.

This approach was mostly used in TL and I've been using it in the skill tree design of AP / CW.

Quote:
Sorry about that. I initially thought that you changed this unit to have no melee penalty. Maybe I remembered it wrong from GM where it has penalty. But it's not a big deal anyway,so don't bother. Sorry one more time, I thought it's just a bug in your mod.
Okay, I'll leave them alone. In fact, unless a unit was seriously under-powered / useless I for the most part left them alone.

I did make changes to the Plants (they are now a lot better) and other units here and there that felt like they had certain under-powered abilities or there were notable gaps (like not being able to Resurrect Plants / Undead / Level 5 units). I also decided to drop the Ancient Vampire's Critical Hit avoidance to only 50% since if the enemy's Critical Hit is too high you could use invulnerable Ancient Vampires against them because of Death's Deception constantly avoiding damage.

Quote:
That will make the creature unbeatable ,so probably you shouldn't do it. Otherwise your ideas sound really good. I hope you will successfully implement them.
Yah, you're probably right, although I am toying with an "experience system" except for the enemy units. It would really be more of a difficulty location system where this modifier possibly becomes more prominent. I'm kind of already doing this with the difficulty level + map location modifier so I don't know if I simply change the map location divisor if that would be the same thing, but it is just food for thought...

Thanks again for the great comments!

Matt

/C\/C\
Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Approved Member

Hi Matt!
I finished the game today. As a whole it was a good experience and it was interesting,except those easy spots that I mentioned in my posts before. I will provide some more feedback and ideas,but first I will comment your last post a bit.

Quote:
Sheep does not work on the Undead, Plants, and Golems (because the unit needs to be at least animal like and living, not dead
;

This is a good logic,but makes the undead and especially the plants unstoppable ,because there is no magic that can eliminate them. Blind works at least to undead but the plants sometimes are a pain. Anyway I can't decide yet if there should be a spell that affects these creatures.

Quote:
So the spells are "automatically balanced" so long as the initial Mana cost is accurate. Currently, this is a bit more subjective, but a simple ordering of Level 1 spells by their power can help with the initial Mana / Crystal cost and this is what I've done.
You've said it yourself - the initial mana cost must be accurate. So that's the problem with the sheep-spell . Maybe it should cost more,because the effect it makes is supreme. And ofcourse that is directly connected with the accumulated mana and the mana-regeneration rate,which are both highly increased in your mode. Otherwise your formula seems to be very good and you have experience from modding other games(Emperor of fading sun - which I never played by the way, is it good ?). I understand your system and it looks perfect but the initial costs and the effect of the spell are things that are valued subjectively and considering that I appear to have more experience playing KB ,my final feeling is that the spell should cost 22,38,55 ,but with reduced duration. Ofcourse that's just my opinion

Quote:
I did make changes to the Plants (they are now a lot better) and other units here and there that felt like they had certain under-powered abilities or there were notable gaps (like not being able to Resurrect Plants / Undead / Level 5 units). I also decided to drop the Ancient Vampire's Critical Hit avoidance to only 50% since if the enemy's Critical Hit is too high you could use invulnerable Ancient Vampires against them because of Death's Deception constantly avoiding damage.
These are good changes, I like them. I like a lot what you've done with the Ents,finally they are usable and competitive. But that makes me think ,that there are so many creatures that are too weak compared to others and they could be tweaked also. In my game ,at some point I decided to take some knights in my army,they are available in the late game, they have good armor and bonus dmg vs dragons. But they sucked completely ,they were incapable of killing a single dragon and also died pretty quick,despite their fire resistance, completely useless unit. And even worse is,that there is a special ability in the skill tree for them,which doesn't worth taking.

Quote:
Yah, you're probably right, although I am toying with an "experience system" except for the enemy units. It would really be more of a difficulty location system where this modifier possibly becomes more prominent. I'm kind of already doing this with the difficulty level + map location modifier so I don't know if I simply change the map location divisor if that would be the same thing, but it is just food for thought...
Adding experience system would be great. That goes to the wifes,children,troops and enemy troops also. WOG comes to my mind. It was super interesting and challenging. The troops gained not just stats improvement,but also new abilities with levels.

Now for the last part of my game. Clearing the elven lands,death lands and demonis was not so hard, I guess 20% harder would've been better. The hero fights were good and interesting. Karador was amazing and Baal also. Xeona was a nice surprise with these ultra powerful demon gates. Then comes the labyrinth and the seven Haas dragons ,they were good, then Bagud was super. Haas was a good fight,which I successfully did in the first try. Karador and Bagud I reloaded twice, they were really good.

But as always I did kinda lost interest after entering the grey wasteland. After that there is not much to develop in your hero and also there are no new units to discover and so it is not so rewarding to play. It's just the story left,but once you know it ,the game loses replayability in the late part. And that happens even earlier in AP/CW . And I just kill some heroes and go straight to the final,leaving a lot of enemy armies untouched. Also the skill that provides additional experience is a bit useless,it stays always to lvl1. I was lvl28 when I fought Haas and it was enough to defeat him. So my idea is that there should be some more units coming when you kill Karador,then Baal and in the Haas' Labyrinth also. It will be definately rewarding and encouraging. The units that come to my mind will blend super in your mod,ofcourse I don't have the slightest idea,how hard it is to make them. So destroying the crystal of darkness should allow you to buy crystal dragons,destroying Baal leads to Rust dragons-born in the sulfur of demonis, and Faerie and Azure dragons should be available in the magical Haas' Labyrinth. And in the late game there should be some special skills available for example when you are a veteran 28 level hero,so the player will be stimulated to fight until the very end of the game. Maybe adding something in the skill trees will help and extending the level cap to lvl35. Ofcourse these things lead to the increase of the power of the armies and heroes in the Labyrinth and Murock, but I suppose that's easily done. I hope you'll like the idea. And AP/CW needs something like that even earlier.
Some more thoughts :
- The art Eye of the storm is currently useless with just -1 speed,compared to the speed bonuses you provided to the creatures,it should have at least -3 or -4 to be competitive.

- the enemy heroes throughout the game use the spell geyser too much. I was even bored, I enter a hero vs hero fight and nothing new - geyser,geyser,geyser . There are other powerful spells please.

- Sacrifice. I mentioned earlier,that it is unusable in the begining of the game. So my opinion stays the same about that. But the new part is,that it is way overpowered in late game with mage. I was able to ressurect 250% army . Example : Killing Baal was hard and it costed me a lot of units. Then I only needed one ordinary fight in which I restored my army completely ,not spending a single coin. Maybe a cap of 120% will be enough.
- Book of evil lvl3 casts something like sleep on the enemy,but when I attack the creature it is dispelled. So I think the effect should be the same as when the Beholders put someone to sleep. Otherwise it is completely equivalent with blind ,just the name is different. Ofcourse it should have shorter duration then blind.
- Rage draining is also too powerful ,it must have bigger rest.
- Chargers. I finished the game now and continue to have the same opinion. I was able to replenish my mana and rage after every battle,no matter how hard it was. They should give at least twice fewer points. Lina was lvl25 when I was in Murock , lvl24 entering the Labyrinth and it was more then enough for a mage hero. Your doubts that she will be weak were false. The time spirit was lvl35 and the other 2 were 20. That's a lot compared to the original game with a mage hero.

Some bugs :
- Evil book makes sheeps out of undead
- The phoenix looses a big part of it's attack when it's shot by a dispel arrow from the skeleton archer.
- Dragon Arrows ignore just resistance,not the defense as it says . It is very weak and unusable.
- In the fight versus Karador, the crystal of darknes raised my death stacks to his side and most of them were fine,except that it raised bone dragons from my black unicorns. That was awful ,because they were the same number as my unicorns were- 106 , and that was impossible army to kill. So I reloaded tried again,couldn't step on time on the unicorn body and it happened again. In the end I had to change the unicorns with different army. I think Bone dragons should be raised only from dragons. I don't know if that's a bug in your mod or in the game itself,but that's the first time I see it.
That is all for now.When anything else comes to my mind I'll write again. I will rest from KB for a while trying if Shades of Darkness is any good and then maybe I'll try your mod with a warrior or paladin.
Thank you one more time for your great work
Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Approved Member

@joro80
About knights - they are great for wife Mirabela, as human units and if you get kids Katherine and Christian they get really interesting in big numbers. You had them on end of game with Xeona i`m guessing so not so much of variety in their stats. With Mirabela i had them lineup with warrior (check my post 101 in this tread) and i didnt even had kid specific for them. But with Mirabela and some of her kids you can have +5 moral for whole army and unit specific kids can give you swordman/guardman/knight/horseman in sick numbers and stats (post #225 here).
So this mod is great for race/unit specific builds and in Ap/Cw it will be better because tomes wont be locked to companions and it will be possible to have tome for dragons and necromancers (just expl) if you lead dragon + undead army ...

WoG (HoMM3) was great idea, and lots of fun play for me. But alas it was so much bugged and problematic to function. But in Red sands (Cw) i think they figured out how to make it work and it was fun to play. And in combination with this mod mechanics it will be great challenge

As was said hero battles later in game are interesting.

Some items really lost their purpose with this mod, but lets agree Mat did lots of work and some things had to come up as `could be done better`. I had some ideas for upgrading items, but as he said implementing to much items in game cause freezes/crashes so that idea went to trash

Spells : Sacrifice i agree is to powerful , and for mage with high int on lvl 3 unusable (maybe if you want to create stack with to high lds and kill off enemy hero troops, and then leave that 1 easily controllable stack to revive rest of your army without worrying about enemy hero spells killing you anymore). And geyser is pain in ass, you just resurrected all you wanted and enemy hero had to cast it one more time before end of battle
Karador - Crystal of darkness - necromancy. I agree here also. Had him in my game resurrect 1200 ancient vampires form my dead dryad stack. That was fun to watch