Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Approved Member

In IL2 its enough how the turbulences feel with the G940

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

I just hope despite the turbulence flame war, 1C will still post another video next time.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOM.Nausicaa View Post
I just hope despite the turbulence flame war, 1C will still post another video next time.
Yea and people wonder why OM is reluctant to post wip stuff

On a side note I wonder if there will be a demo disc release for SoW as there was with Il2 Shturmovik

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 01-26-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOM.Nausicaa View Post
It's an interesting topic for discussion and just because a lot of people are participation in it doesn't make it a flame war. It wouldn't be an interesting discussion group if everyone agreed with everything. I do agree discussions and critiques should be done in a civil manner and I think that's been (mostly) the case so far.

cheers
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Approved Member

You think so ?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Approved Member

Do you really think Oleg comes here to hear how great you think he is ?

I mean really ???

He wants FEEDBACK. Good feedback .... even if sometimes he doesn't like it/ or in my case the person giving it.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 AM
Approved Member

Oleg or Ilya, could you possibly tell us yet whether you have any inkling of the specifications for the engine regarding 3rd party 3D objects (polycounts, texture size, formats, etc.)? I imagine that would be useful information to bear in mind for a number of people. Will there be import/export tools released with the game or will that be postponed until a while afterwards? Will you provide a guide at some point for the guidelines to creating 3D objects or will you leave the process to trial and error like many game developers do? I realise these are questions that aren't particularly important at the moment, but I'm just curious to be honest, since this is your first foray into making an openly moddable game. I very much appreciated your earlier explanations about 3rd party content being outside the officially sanctioned "locked set" of objects and the ability of users to edit FMs etc. without compromising online play and was just wondering whether you'd care to expand upon them slightly with some ballpark figures.

Last edited by TheGrunch; 01-27-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Approved Member

It appears that I have been misunderstood. Evidently my prose needs improvement.

I wrote:

Quote:
you do get 'bumps' with turbulence and convective action, but they are of large amplitude
That is; the total movement is too small, I've occasionally bumped my head on the canopy due to not tightening the harness sufficiently.

Quote:
and very low frequency
The shaking shown is too rapid, it should be spaced out more.

I also agree with some of the statements made here, for instance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
You really don't feel much from the controls when its turbulent
Very true, the most you will get from the stick is some pre-stall vibration and the tightening of the controls as speed increases. Turbulence is felt through your backside (or your head, in my case).

In regard to FFB I'd be more interested in the real characteristics of the aircraft, like the spitfire's reversal of stick force gradient as one approaches the stall, the heavy force needed on the rudder to keep the 109 in balance at cruise speed.

Have to reply to this though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Im pretty sure there isnt a singel person in theese boards that have done what is shown in that Spit vid.

100% sure infact.
100% wrong as it happens, though I'll admit that I haven't done it in a Spitfire yet.

W.

Last edited by RAF74_Winger; 01-27-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jg2001_Rasputin View Post
For the `There is to much shaking guys`

In my experience, I flew with Ju 52 and an An 2, the shaking is just right, if not too less. As far as I remember the was a lot of movement of the plane due to the engine.
Here is a short video of me as a passenger in the An 2, during the Hahnweide 2009. I think you can clearly see how the plane is shaking on the ground and in the air, alltough the pilot didnt nearly fly manoeuvres like shown in the SOW video.

http://vimeo.com/6454534
The shaking I see in the video clip seem accurate, but only if you where holding the camera in your hand as you filmed. Usually the personal experience (and memories) of the cameraman is very different from what we later see on the film. In times of stress the mind & body compensate for things that might impede our performance. Human vision doesn't work the same as what we see on film...in real life our eyes dart back and forth, and we focus our attention on a small details (like a temp gauge), we blink and scan the horizon. The mind filters out distracting information as best it can.

Just as "IL2's" field of vision is an approximation of a humans "field of view", we need to approximately represent the shaking of the aeroplane and its occupant. When we drive the human eye darts back and forth focusing on many small details (all the time adjusting for changes in "depth of field" and posture), but the brain puts all this information together into a single big picture. The in-game image is equally rich in detail from the center of the screen to the edge...also the "depth of field" sharp from up-close to far away. The game represents the world in this way so that "we" as the player can immerse ourselves in the world of the game.

So the real question is NOT whether or not the shaking in the video clip is technically accurate, BUT the question is how do we want the shaking of airplane and pilot to be represented in the game...

p.s Its 4 AM here and I'm getting a bit blurry (lol)...I hope my ideas are easy to read.

Back in the old days their where many interesting discussions at the "ubi zoo" about the "field of view" and the "depth of field" issues. I assume that Oleg still has the same opinions.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
Human vision doesn't work the same as what we see on film...in real life our eyes dart back and forth, and we focus our attention on a small details (like a temp gauge), we blink and scan the horizon. The mind filters out distracting information as best it can.
Someone should maybe take one of these up with them when they fly.