Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Approved Member

Darts information is very good, but I question how the gun sights are modeled in "IL2 1946"...

Here is a study I have started and posted over at the Ubi site.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...2481093716/p/1

I would be curious if anyone has any thoughts on my studies.

[short story] The FW190 doesn't fill the UK gun sight at 100 meters. Check out the screen shots I took.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Approved Member

Yes, I remember that.

There was also an older thread claiming that objects are not correctly displayed in size in IL2. I remember a long debate and inconclusive arguments from both sides, after somebody flew along the side of a Battleship and measured the time with a constant speed, finding out that the ship was too small.

Maybe he was right?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Approved Member

My personnal experience with the MGs of the 110 G2.

Once I chased a P47 that I damaged with my 20 mm guns. But I ran out of cannon shells and he was still alive and running. His ailerons were cut though, and I could easily continue to fire at him form more or less 75 meters.

Well, I shot everything from dead six and got him with my last of the last bullets. (PK)

I typed <gunstats to know hoq much hits I scored on him.... 800 + rounds. And the plane was not even smoking..... If I wouldn't have get the pilot....

The P47 is really a Sherman tank with wings.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
There was also an older thread claiming that objects are not correctly displayed in size in IL2. I remember a long debate and inconclusive arguments from both sides
Actually, the debate was conclusive for the size of the planes, it was geometrically prooved that the wingspan size is correct in game.
For other kind of objects (buildings for example), it's not necessary the case.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

@Rama

Cool. Thanks for the information.

@ Oktober

If you fire at any target from dead six with MGs, you do little damage. The angle of impact seems to have an effect on the bullets and from this angle the bullets come in to flat on the target, that they simply bounce off it, if it has the slightest armor. This is especially true for planes with nose-mounted guns, as the angle is even lower than from a wing-fired gun at short range and short convergence. You can see a similar effect with the 50s on a P38 against armored targets.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I think your statement is incorrect. It should be

"When I fire Machine guns, you can damn near empty your magazine on enemy aircraft to were there are all kinds of aircraft particles and debris flying through the air and the target keeps on flying."
ha ha, true enough.

Thanks for the testing info and the training video, excellent.

When I have had free time in the past (over the years) I have spent it tweaking IL2 trying to get it to run perfectly, over clocking, experimenting with settings, nhancer etc. It has been like a hobby within the hobby just trying to see how good I could make IL2 run.

I finally have it running\looking pretty good, so it's time for me to start seriously learning how to fly (enjoy) the sim.

Quote:
you do what feuerfalke said to do but change the setting in your conf file from [game]
Arcade=0 to Arcade=1 this leave arrows where you gun hit its target.
cool, i had totally forgotten about this

Quote:
Darts information is very good, but I question how the gun sights are modeled in "IL2 1946"...
Here is a study I have started and posted over at the Ubi site.
Quote:
With regards to the use of machine guns, not all machine guns can do significant damage, but all of them can help you save a teammate of yours: I have set mine at 1.000m convergence and many times I use them to scare enemy planes who hunt a teammate of mine. Though I know that I'm quite far to actually damage the enemy in due time, on the other hand some distant mg bursts help scaring him and disengage from my teammate.
Are gun sights adjustable in IL2?

Quote:
My personnal experience with the MGs of the 110 G2.

Once I chased a P47 that I damaged with my 20 mm guns. But I ran out of cannon shells and he was still alive and running. His ailerons were cut though, and I could easily continue to fire at him form more or less 75 meters.

Well, I shot everything from dead six and got him with my last of the last bullets. (PK)

I typed <gunstats to know hoq much hits I scored on him.... 800 + rounds. And the plane was not even smoking..... If I wouldn't have get the pilot....

The P47 is really a Sherman tank with wings.
Thats what I'm talking about, Am going to go into virtual reality training and try and get better with MG's, but I still prefer aircraft that have cannon fire, I don't hold the trigger down, when dog fighting, I use it for single shots. To me, a single shot kill is very cool.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
posted by Windturbin
Thats what I'm talking about, Am going to go into virtual reality training and try and get better with MG's, but I still prefer aircraft that have cannon fire, I don't hold the trigger down, when dog fighting, I use it for single shots. To me, a single shot kill is very cool.
I love setting up dogfights with me in a KI-43 or a KI-27 and the AI in a P-40 or a F4F...if you get good enough to take out the pilot or the engine of a P-40 in a KI-43 you will feel dam good about your gunnery skills.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windturbin View Post

Are gun sights adjustable in IL2?
Yes, you can predefine convergence range wich is position where all of your guns are boresighted, but only before mission start, not while on mission.

If you set for cannons 200, thats the range where rounds arrive to your gunsights sightline. For such short distances, as cannon is slightly below sightline, round will be moving BELOW sightline until at that range.

You can have different range for machineguns than cannon or more precisely weapon 1 and 2, making them useful at different ranges, if you set extremely high range, so the rounds have to go for ballistic arc that exeeds sightline for reaching desired point, you have 2 points where bullets are on sightline, extremely useful with fuselage mounted guns, not that useful for wing mounted weapons where you'd better keep em on desired engagement range.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Approved Member

I really should read the IL2 manual.

wow, I must look like a real dumb ars, I just now found that the convergence adjustments are right there in the arming menu.

Looks like the default convergence range in the game arming section for all weapons is 500 meters, thats what I have been using all along not knowing it was there.

Now, the video that Feuerfalke provided makes perfect sense to me. This will help me big time.

Thanks people!
Old 06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Approved Member

Well, the interface and navigation in IL2 sometimes is a bit odd, at least not very intuitive. That's also true for "Input" and "Controls" options, IMHO. I hope they don't try to save money and time on this for SoW...