Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

Well, the situation is pretty much like what happened to Total War series. Empire Total war was one of the most anticipated games of the year, reviewers gave it very high scores, but when gamers actually got their hand on it, they got massively disappointed due to bugs and gameplay issues. CA released some patches which did virtually nothing, then drop the game altogether. They turned to the sequel, Napoleon Total war, which was nothing but a polished version of ETW with new units. Fortunately, this time they did it right as most bugs of ETW were squashed. New game in the series, Shogun 2, won back the love of fans, and now they (me included) are so excited about the new project: Rome 2.

Just an example to say that: sometimes it is better to leave the past behind and start everything from scratch. Surely CloD does not live up to its expectations, but the game does show its potentials. I hope that BOM will be a much better product. But of course I agree with you at one point: if BOM stays broken as its ill-fated prequel, the series is pretty much dead.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Approved Member

Great example

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
We have milestones to meet with our future products, and we just cannot miss those
Took them 6! years to MISS the first one....i think that says enough?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Approved Member

How on earth could they get any more money out of a fully fixed CloD if it allready costs only 5€/$ on sales just wishful thinking gents
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
No given there track record I.E. Forgotten Battles the sequel will hopefully have a good start.
I don't share your optimism Krupi. I suspect BOM will just be COD with some bug fixes, different planes, plus you can jump into a tank or AA gun (whoopdidoo!). No real gameplay objectives or immersion. I'm not even confident whether ther'll be a proper campaigning system to replace the horrible collection of linear simple missions we got with COD. Time will tell, but I for one, won't be rushing out to buy BOM.

Get the latest COD Team Fusion patch info HERE

Last edited by salmo; 09-16-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo View Post
I don't share your optimism Krupi. I suspect BOM will just be COD with some bug fixes, different planes, plus you can jump into a tank or AA gun (whoodidoo!). No real gameplay objectives or immersion. I'm not even confident whether ther'll be a proper campaigning system to replace the horrible collection of linear simple missions we got with COD. Time will tell, but I for one, won't be rushing out to buy BOM.
Well, the engine has its potential for gameplay, as Desastersoft or ATAG shows...
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo View Post
I don't share your optimism Krupi. I suspect BOM will just be COD with some bug fixes, different planes, plus you can jump into a tank or AA gun (whoodidoo!). No real gameplay objectives or immersion. I'm not even confident whether ther'll be a proper campaigning system to replace the horrible collection of linear simple missions we got with COD. Time will tell, but I for one, won't be rushing out to buy BOM.
Maybe something like this?

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...FFIYHhgs6nLQhw

I hope that this online war will be ready soon )
Old 09-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Approved Member

Awesome thanks for sharing Vranac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranac View Post
Maybe something like this?

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...FFIYHhgs6nLQhw

I hope that this online war will be ready soon )
Yes. Thankyou vranac, I was unaware of is project.

Get the latest COD Team Fusion patch info HERE
Old 09-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Approved Member

This looks good. Like an old Capture the City version I was working on. I abandoned the project when I learend how bad the online code was and you could not have AI ground unis spawn and head for the front lines for dynamic battles because the ONLINE code could not handle the following at the same time;
30+ moving ground units (and this is small)
30+ Human fighters / bombers (cause if this is popular you would have 50+)
20+ AI fighters/bombers
1600+ AA guns
100 - 2000 Ground objects (Unless you have proceedual ground object imports, but you can't include Buildings cause they do not import with sub missions) see the error there...

And the above is just the minimum you need for a game that feels alive.

When the MP Online code is fixed. Graphics fixed etc.. and the game can handle 120+ moving objects (with no ghosts) + 2-3000 objects and 40+ players then we can release games with this greatness. I wish you well there are a couple of these type missions on hold

I would love this as an ongoing weeks+ long mission. Are you using the "FOOD" as health / supply which is embedded in the 1c code?
Intel i7-2600K
Coursair 16GB (4x 4GB), DDR3-1600MHz
Gainward Nvidia 580GTX 3GB DDR5
850-Watt Modular Power Supply
WIN7 and COD on Gskill SSD 240GB
40" Panasonic LCD
TrackIR5 +
Thrustmaster Warthog stick, throttle & pedals

Last edited by hc_wolf; 09-16-2012 at 11:10 PM.