Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
It's the community who hypes these patches to hell and then acts all annoyed when they don't get what was expected, NOT promised except for a few rare instances.
I can agree on that.
It looks like we are witnessing the normal process of a Software-Development, with its milestones and drawbacks.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSix View Post
Don't use beta, wait official patch. It's all that I can say.
I think you misunderstood me, I'm very happy to beta test and report bugs.
But others seem to read updates and expect everything will be fixed at once ("magic patch") ...so when the beta doesn't do what they dreamed about they get rather annoyed.

Keep on chipping away at CLOD for as long as 1C gives you time, it's all you can do.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Hey B6, here's a couple of questions for you. How many more beta patches do you think there will be before the final retail patch? Also, will the retail patch be the last patch for CloD? because at this pace it seems as if BoM will be finished by the time the retail patch is done.

P.S What happened to the special announcement of BoM that was supposed to be in June?
Nobody know it now. It depends on programmers.

We are waiting announcement of sequel as you. IT depends on the leadership of 1C.

Last edited by BlackSix; 06-30-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Approved Member

I'm more viewing this one as a sort of interim/loyalty patch. After last week's "done when its done" Friday update debacle, it's intended as a bone for the masses to chew on while the real one is still in the works. I wouldn't expect that one for a good long while yet.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSix View Post
Nobody know it now. It depends on programmers.

We are waiting announcement of sequel as you. IT depends on the leadership of 1C.
Ok, so Maddox Games are ready to announce the sequel and some information about it but 1c has not decided when to do it? am I right? Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer our questions.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Ok, so Maddox Games are ready to announce the sequel and some information about it but 1c has not decided when to do it? am I right? Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer our questions.
Yes, you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
I'm more viewing this one as a sort of interim/loyalty patch. After last week's "done when its done" Friday update debacle, it's intended as a bone for the masses to chew on while the real one is still in the works. I wouldn't expect that one for a good long while yet.
"A bone for the masses" is rough and wrong expression.
I finished communication in this thread.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
Ze-Jams, seriously, you talk about a BETA patching and expecting it to be final. That's just not logical in any way and won't happen anywere. And no one said it was the final patch that solves everything. No one.

You also don't understand that they simply do not have the rescources. Interestingly blacksix already posted on it. But yeah, if you don't put money on the table - how do you expect them to work more on it? Do YOU work for free? I don't.

The focus HAS to be the sequel since CloD isn't selling anymore. If they don't get the sequel out they're done for. What's so tough to understand about this?

With the sales from the people bickering on this forum here they could maybe afford 2 workstations or so. They just can't keep the project afloat.

What you're expecting is not gonna happen. Not with their limited pool of rescources. If people can't see and accept that - why ask unnecessary questions? Just move on and forget that the game ever existed.
Firstly calm yourself down...Im not expecting anything, im confused and hence why im asking questions..Im sorry if its not as obvious to me as it is to you or if it is then maybe im trying to get a few more answers..if you dont like what im asking, move along

Ok so in a nutshell..

CoD is finsihed as they dont have the resources...the focus is now on the Sequel before they run out of money..

These patches are being released to build up this big data base of bugs and known problems

So..

When the sequel is released which in turn will bring in more (we hope) money that money will be used to fix the 'known' problems with an array of Beta patches like we have now

Am i on the right track here?

Last edited by Ze-Jamz; 06-30-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
I would say you are on a sidetrack.

As BlackSix said on the previous page, all of their programmers are working on CLOD...this doesn't mean the whole team, it means all the people who write code.
The rest; that is mapdesigners, modeldesigners, scenario/missionmakers, ... ; are focussed on the sequel. So we won't see new maps for CLOD, nor will we see new cockpits or planes or new ships etc.

These beta patches are being released to incrementally find and fix bugs till MG decide the code is ready for a Steam patch. After that none of us know what will happen.
There might be a new round of beta patches, providing they get time and funds from 1C..if not it will stay with one final, official patch.
Maybe 1C decides it's a lost cause and scraps the whole team..hopefully they keep investing and we see a sequel (MMO or other).

Why would you think these beta patches are purely for the sequel when BlackSix states "Don't use beta, wait official patch." in this very thread?
Yes the fixes we get now will benefit the sequel, as it uses the same engine and code... but these fixes WILL end up in an official Steam patch for CLOD too.

edit : That is right up to the point where the whole team switches to "the sequel", and they code new features and so forth for it..those won't end up in CLOD.
Unless the sequel can be merged.. then if you buy that, the new features will be in your merged install aswel and thus usable with the CLOD map.
Some doubt on my part here as they always said it would work like the old IL2 with merged installs.
But the recent rumours of a MMO might mean there won't be any merging, just a new game with the CLOD assets + russian front stuff all in one
...we'll find out if and when said sequel is announced or a while after as it's setup becomes clearer

Last edited by Warhound; 06-30-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
When the sequel is released which in turn will bring in more (we hope) money that money will be used to fix the 'known' problems with an array of Beta patches like we have now

Adding to what warhound just said and what I believe sounds plausible: honestly, I don't know.

The reason is simple. The old IL2 sprung a few projects which licensed their engine.
We also got some hints towards some sort of massively online game that also involves ground.

I can't tell you if they purely focus on the new sequel or simply on the engine overall. As we heard the coder part is working on CloD which suggests that they are trying to make the engine part run well.

It's still possible that "CloD" will work like IL-2, meaning you get updates but need the sequels. But I can't say for sure.

What I can say for sure is that they need sales. Either the sequel or licensing the engine.

Sorry that the term Beta wasn't that known to you. Maybe it's just so natural to me since I am a bit involved with gaming since a long time. And frankly, I've seen much worse games than CloD which sold A LOT better.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

I'll have to partially agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
It's the community who hypes these patches to hell and then acts all annoyed when they don't get what was expected, NOT promised except for a few rare instances.
even if i would phrase it in a bit less "pointy" manner, simply because a lot of people expect beta to be gameplay material.

In reality, alpha/beta means "you can test it if you want to and help me find what's wrong with it, but don't expect it to be flawless and final material".

A lot of people however will download the patch thinking it is finalised gameplay material and then they will of course be disappointed because it's not. By definition.

So, to answer the original poster's question. This patch is not meant to be the fix-all patch. It's just one step in the testing process of the fix-all patch. Cheers