Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

As a "ground pounder" taking 5 minutes to warm up the Blenheim and then get some 50m off ground only to have multiple engine failures no matter procedure makes the overall il2cod experience.. well, boring.

il2-46 attracts way more than this.

So yeah, as soon as I see the il2cod icon on my desktop I just feel the word "Boring" and continues to -46 or ArmA2 so nope, no MP for me.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoarmongar View Post
I had such high hopes for CloD when it was released. I couldnt wait to play it full real online with up to 128 players.
I think my disapointment with the sim was heightened by my previous anticipation of how good it would be.
After a few patches I was still a bit disheartened with the game and the lack of full real players on the servers, so I put the game away for a while and went back to good old Arma2OA.

Then not long ago a few people were trying to organise battles on the syn server, online player numbers seemed to be up to 40ish ppl, so I came back to the game and give it another go.
Well it was a blast ! Great fun with players organising themselves into flights on vent and lots going on. Hey I thought to myself " this games not as bad as I thought" I had kinda forgotten how much I just love flying these planes, and how much untapped potential this game has got.
Work intervened but I was really looking forward to getting back on the syn server for some more fun.
Oh no, the syn server had disappeared, the webpage was down and nobody seemed to be online playing full real.
So syn has gone, its now the ATAG server and Im sure players will soon be on this server in healthy numbers.

Reading this forum Im struck by the number of people who claim they need to "learn the game", or "arnt ready yet to play online". this lack of confidence is rather suprising to me.
Online players are not all ace fliers, sure you do come across some highly skilled fliers on either side and some well organised flights (usually on blue side in my experience) but honestly the best way to learn this game is to fly online against human pilots, theres no shame in being shot down, in this game a hard lesson is a good lesson.

I think the most important thing to do if online is to get on comms either vent or t/s.
With comms its so much easier, advice from other players is always available, joining other players as a wingman always increases your survival chances, and simply following a "leader" for a few missions teaches you a great deal about this sim. The other day I listened in while an experienced Hurricane pilot talked his wingman through engine managment and how to get the best from his aircraft, where the enemy were and when to attack and when the lurking 109`s were about to attack. That rookie pilot learned more in 30mins than he would in 6hrs sitting on the runway typing questions like "how do I start my engine" or "why does my engine keep blowing up" I never can type when flying, only when in the lobby do I type in chat.

To sit at a base and watch players spawn, try to start their engines fire their guns in frustration then disconect is a crying shame. My advice is Get online. Get on coms. Get on someones wing.

Absolutely. I'm not much of an onliner and that's how i would do my "refresher course" in a few sorties every time i would jump back into MP after a lengthy absence.

That being said, people who can't get on comms as easily (work hours/flying late at night with kids sleeping in the next room/etc) will be reluctant to try it not because it's a shame to get shot down (like you say, it's not), but because their inability to join comms and coordinate makes them cannon fodder and the experience frustrating. It's these guys that will try to reach a certain level of comfort before joining up.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Approved Member

Well when we compare iL2 2001 with iL2 2011, I think we need to look at the human factor. It seems for me at least that CoD runs smother then its 2001 rendition did way back when. What seems so different is the way people's decisions are influenced. IMO these days people make their choices based on what others say as opposed to making their own, I.E. many will probably wait until the multitude of dedicated forum complainers have every niggle that offends them fixed to their specifications so it is "them" who will deem when the sim is ready for "all" of us to enjoy.

What is sad is that the ones who give the most damaging opinions regarding the sim are also rarely seen in (if at all) the multiplayer servers and never on coms.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Approved Member

in 2001 IL2 had the Hyperlobby and a much better understandable FMB that a lot of people were able to build COOP missions.
4 month after IL2 release i had plenty of COOP missions flown out of the HL.

And btw, the main GUI of IL2 worked in 2001....................
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Approved Member

Poor CLoD newbies. There's a reason the magnetos in the "toy" game (a.k.a. 1946) don't work. Someone figured out this is a novelty and after a few times, adds no gameplay value what so ever. After the 300th time, it become a pita. Put CLoD fuel pump, fuel cock, anthropromorphic and cockeyed 109 gunsight in that bucket too. You want CLoD fixed, go back 1C and re-learn the lessons from the old game. The old game, thank god it didn't stop in a vacume when 1C started developing BoB/CLoD. It kept growing with the modders and still grows and is totally awesome today. CLoD stays off my machine. No regrets. Calling it a "toy". Sorry, that is agenda driven language and less than truthful!

@Richie, the CLoD 3 way switch, this can be simulated more or less in the old game too with Glovepie script . How - set up 2 buttons, one for pitch up and the other for pitch down. Default position is autoprop pitch "on" when both buttons are not pressed. When you press one of the buttons, it does two things: first, toggles autoprop pitch to manual...second, toggles the pitch to either 0 (ppaxis value =-1 pitch up) or 100% (pp axis value =1 pitch down). When you release either of the buttons, the auto prop pitch toggles back on. So you can move the rpms/pitch angle much fast than relying strictly on the auto prop pitch clock to catch up. This means more zoom climb and more acceleration in power dive. The only way to burn it up with this setup is hold down the pitch down button (pitch decreases). It isn't exactly like CloD, but you get the acceleration effect and much less risk burning up the engine by running strictly manual prop pitch mode. You still have to manage the throttle a bit to keep the rpms in range with this setup.

It's one thing to defend the developers of CLoD. It is quite another to malign the best WWII flight simulator "1946 modded". Reminder, Oleg left the building. We now know why.

Last edited by MadBlaster; 08-23-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
Poor CLoD newbies. There's a reason the magnetos in the "toy" game (a.k.a. 1946) don't work. Someone figured out this is a novelty and after a few times, adds no gameplay value what so ever. After the 300th time, it become a pita. Put CLoD fuel pump, fuel cock, anthropromorphic and cockeyed 109 gunsight in that bucket too.
What are you going on about?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
What are you going on about?
A few things.

1)I'm pointing out why newbies would disconnect from the CLoD server. Simple, due to unnecessary novelty complications in CLoD.

2)I'm pointing out how CLoD fails to balance gameplay with realism. See lesson learned in the old game (i.e.,the magneto check at startup is unecessary for a good reason.)

3)I'm pointing out that he who said the "toy" thing, this is not moderation. This is agenda.

4)I'm telling the OP that the 109 3-way switch capability that is supposedly new and nifty, can actually be found in the old game with a simple Glovepie script and will bring the 109 to life.

I will add one more thing to the CLoD worthless novelty bucket. See my agenda? Defend, Attack!

Controls for two radiators is unneeded. This takes up controls that the user can use for other things. I think the old game actually modeled two radiator, but under one control. How do I conclude this? If you go up 7000 meters, you see water temps drop significantly on the water temp gauge. But you can still overheat the engine via high oil temp gauge. Then, when you open the "radiator", oil temp cools. So, conclusion is that oil rad is modeled in combo with water rad as one control.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

Hmm, well thanks for clearing that up.

Each to their own I guess
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

Theres is no" unnecessary novelty complications in CLoD" in fact if anything its far to simple.
In a RAF fighter with CEM to take off all you have to do is switch your fuel on, open your radiator and press "i" to start the engine, hardly difficult is it ?
In a sim the gameplay IS the realism.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoarmongar View Post
Theres is no" unnecessary novelty complications in CLoD" in fact if anything its far to simple.
In a RAF fighter with CEM to take off all you have to do is switch your fuel on, open your radiator and press "i" to start the engine, hardly difficult is it ?
In a sim the gameplay IS the realism.
Actually, it's even easier than that. If you want it to be, Ctrl-E.