Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

I would suggest G940.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Approved Member

Its hard to find a decent Hotas system today. They all have their drawbacks. I'm currently using an MSFF2 joystick, Cougar Throttle, and Saitek Rudder Pedals.

I also currently have the CH Fighter Stick, Saitek X52, Cougar Joystick, and Saitek Aviator and none of them have the precision of the now defunct MSFF2 joystick. The CH stick is very sturdy but I don't like the clunky feeling gimbals that can throw your aim off while travelling thru the x y axis. The Cougar is even worse, although you can buy a very expensive set of after market gimbals. My X52's deadzone problem made the stick usefull only when flying bombers.

If I was buying today I would go for the Logitech G940. I don't particularly like the new X65 non movement pressure only joystick, expecially for WW2 aircraft. Who knows when CH will come out with something a little better.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

You can probably get a good deal here: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=10347
Old 10-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

Thanks a lot guys!!!
It´s amazing the way the CH users talk about their Hotas. Must be really good ones.
@Thunderbolt: it´s imposible buy that joy, cos´the taxes of importing it (50% of the product value plus shiping). My brand new joy will avoid custom taxes cos a friend is bringing it home from USA.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

I'm trying to get myself a new HOTAS (or even just a good joystick) too.

I'm currently messing around with a Logitech Force 3D Pro (not even close to the best thing in the world, I know)

The thing is, I got addicted to the Force Feedback, and so I'm not really sure if CH, Saitek and Thrustmaster products would fit my taste, as they don't have FFB. I've heard a bunch of positive and negative comments on all of them.

Fighterstick is always referred to as reliable, precise and etc. I don't recall reading anything negative about it. If anyone knows about some flawn (even if minor) on it (besides the lack of FFB), please tell me.

Saitek is also referred as a good stick, but I remember reading some negative stuff about it. I've read about a big dead-zone in the center, and also something about it not being very resistent. Plus, some of the models have a bizarre look, and that cover to the "Fire" button that isn't really realistic. If anyone can add anything else (or a more detailed observations about the already commented problems), please post it here too. But the major issue still is: no FFB.

Cougar is a litte bit "love it or hate it". I've saw many positive and negative reviews. I've heard people saying that it's not very precise and sensitive, and about it being too stiff (more exactly, "it's as stiff as a real aircraft, but when you're actually flying you have a much wider field to move the stick around"). But, if it's actually that stiff, I could use the feature it has that makes the stick "detaches" from its base, and using the same kind of plug, put it thru a metal bar in the shape of a real stick's one to make the field of movement wider, and to make it more close to a real A/C's one. If anyone knows any minor or major issue with this one, please tell me too.

And the solution could be the G940, BUT it's a little bit too expensive... And plus, there are some minor problems some users have already found.

Any ideas on it?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
Fighterstick is always referred to as reliable, precise and etc. I don't recall reading anything negative about it. If anyone knows about some flawn (even if minor) on it (besides the lack of FFB), please tell me.
I'm not sure this is a flaw or just my personal preference.

For years I'ld been using a CH-Combat stick. The top part of the combat stick three push buttons and two coolie hats that you access through your thumb.

The Fighter stick has one push button, a two-way switch and three coolie hats that you access with your thumb.

Even though in modern fighter sims you need the functions, in a WWII fighter sims it just seams more natural for me to use the push buttons rather than the two way and coolie hats. Some times less is moore, but that could just be me!

Right from the start I was even considering trying to swap the combat stick buttons onto my fighter stick but I'm not brave enough to try.

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Global Moderator

Thumbs up

My setup is CHPRODUCTS. Fighterstick, ProPedals, ProThrottle, and MFP.

I have two powered USB hubs to drive all the USB devices. The non-powered hubs gave me all kinds of little glitchy issues.

Now when I CFS my desk is arrayed in all it's glory with

Fighterstick,ProThrottle,MFP,Mouse,Keyboard... webcam on monitor,headset with headtracker for Freetrack.

Am I missing something, when I started Il2 I used my mouse with my left hand and it moved around freely to see all the sim world, my MSFT FF2 stick and keyboard.

Things were simpler that is sure. I don't know, but I often wonder if I've not gone too far for enjoyment of the IL2. LOL

I would highly recommend my setup, especially the CHPRODUCTS no bad surprises there of any kind. Logitech came out with their hotas recently, and it looks pretty good... but alas my setup will probably serve me very well for years to come. I don't feel bad about that, because I recall trying to remove Logitech mouse drivers from my computer in the past and finally gave up. So, I don't think of Logitech or Thrustmaster (Cougar) as a professional company compared to CHPRODUCTS. Chproducts actually makes professional joysticks and controls for commercial usage. It is probably a huge benefit that we can even buy such quality at anywhere near a competitive consumer price.

Last edited by nearmiss; 10-14-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Approved Member

I get a bit of wanderlust when I see these new sticks coming out. They're sexy with all the right buttons to twitch. They're more stylish. Then I look at my trusty CH and wonder if those other sticks will serve me as well as my CH.

Us CH folks are loyal to our purchase because CH has made a product that's been loyal to us. I've had no issues with mine, and with VERY VERY few incidents in my forum parusals from other owners. We love it cuz it works.

Chivas hit upon the only negative with CH and it's a personal thing. The movement across the X/Y axis is different than other manufacturer's sticks. It took me a short while to get used to it, but it wasn't anything that affected me once I did. If you are moving diagnally and cross the center there is a clunk (for lack of better word). As I said it didn't take me long to get used to it and I don't even notice it. It's hardly worth noting for me, but Chivas is right to bring it up because, IMO, a stick is something that you should be comfortable with. While I love CH and think they are the best sticks, I'd hate to highly recommend something and not tell someone of a caveat that may really bother them. At least it's a fully informed decision.

I've had 2 Logitecs and three Saiteks over the years. I started PC simming in 2002. I've flown CH ONLY for four years. So for the first 3 years I went through five sticks (either didn't like or wore out) and the last 4 I've been issue free and happy.

CH is the shiznet. Believe it.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
Saitek is also referred as a good stick, but I remember reading some negative stuff about it. I've read about a big dead-zone in the center, and also something about it not being very resistent. Plus, some of the models have a bizarre look, and that cover to the "Fire" button that isn't really realistic. If anyone can add anything else (or a more detailed observations about the already commented problems), please post it here too. But the major issue still is: no FFB.
Having made the mistake of not researching the X52 more, I can tell you I probably wouldn't have gone with a cheap alternative to a full system. I bought a new X52 for a little over $80 and almost immediately noticed a problem with the stick losing calibration during missions. And the deadzone was frustratingly large. But these problems only occur with games like Heroes Over Europe and Blazing Angels 2. The stick works quite well with IL2 and FSX. But as a licensed pilot, I quickly realized that a twist stick for rudder control is just not for me. I'll sell this X52 and spend the added expense for one of the new full systems with rudder pedals and FFB. Which one is the question. I'm already hearing of problems with the G940 and the X65 is unknown for now. And of course, I'd like to see what CH has in store.

Last edited by Aeropush; 10-15-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Global Moderator

As a professional pilot you will appreciate the CH products probably more than most. CH makes commercial joysticks,etc. The quality is the best you'll find in any consumer product in the controller category.

There is a learning threshold of course, and it's pretty steep for the most part. The control manager is a very comprehensive software.

Recommend - fighterstick, propedals, prothrottle... can vary, but the three aren't a cheap package. If you cross over to several other sims you might want to get an MFP, and it is $200.

Cougar is good, but you need to spend almost as much on gimbels and other fixes. They'll cost about the same as the cougar... expensive way to go. I definitely don't see it as a best way to go unless you are into Falcon 4 in a big way.

I used MSFT FF2 stick with twist rudder for a long time, and to be real honest that twist rudder isn't that bad on a better stick. Still, it's nothing like a good pedals. I use the rudder pedals to swish side to side without screwing up my stick registration on ground targets and head on passes. I can spray all over the sky laterally... LOL

Good stuff, you won't regret it. That's a fact.. quality wise that is.