Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Approved Member

Hey I'm just trying to buoy peoples' spirits, as there seems to be a lot of undue grumbling about steam.

It's not great, but it's what we've got and quite frankly no matter how much people like Oddball whine about it I don't see the developers going back to that sort of model.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDoggles View Post
Hey I'm just trying to buoy peoples' spirits, as there seems to be a lot of undue grumbling about steam.

It's not great, but it's what we've got and quite frankly no matter how much people like Oddball whine about it I don't see the developers going back to that sort of model.
UNDUE!! your a moron...either that or you just don't read the posts...your beloved steam is NUKING the MP servers on a daily basis!...there are 5 servers in CLOD right now and over 30 on HL! there would be more in CLOD but i know a few got tired of babysitting there server because of Steams daily purges...even as screwed as this game is right now there would be ALOT more private and public servers up if we could use HL .

Whine? really..im not the naive fanboi who started the post extolling the benefits of steam WITH OUT HAVING A CLUE as to what steam was doing!

S! have a nice day
EVGA 660SC (super clocked) 2GB Vram
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
64 GB SSD SATA II HD
WIN7 UL 64BIT
Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 AM
Approved Member

Well this got ugly quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_oddball View Post
UNDUE!! your a moron
Learn to spell before you call someone else a moron, little boy. You+are = you're, as in "You're in need of an attitude adjustment."

The word "your" indicates a possessive case, as in "Your attitude is piss-poor."

Quote:
your beloved steam is NUKING the MP servers on a daily basis!
Firstly it's not my "beloved" steam, let me quote one of my previous posts to you:

Quote:
It's not great, but it's what we've got.
There are how many games on steam right now? How many tens of thousands of counterstrike servers alone? Probably another twenty thousand team fortress 2 servers on top of that and all of them running fine.

Do you think that it's a problem with steam that somehow manifests itself for our game and our game only?

Or maybe if you used a little bit of logic do you think that maybe it's a bug in CLOD's dedicated server code? Hmmmmmmm let's meditate on this for a second and really mull it over. I could rattle off a list of 30 games and I bet if I went and checked, they all would have functioning dedicated servers.

You and your attitude are counterproductive. Bitching and moaning about the sorry state of multiplayer is what's killing multiplayer.

It's a bug, they happen, and it'll get fixed in due time. I suspect the developers have a lot on their plate at the moment. In the meantime, I was playing this afternoon in a server with 40+ people and it was super fun!

Quote:
im not the naive fanboi who started the post extolling the benefits of steam WITH OUT HAVING A CLUE as to what steam was doing!
If you maybe go back and learn to read, you'll see I was trying to highlight a feature of steam that a) many are unaware of and b) some might find useful, like they did in hyperlobby.

You can call that fanboyism if you want. I'll call it being positive. Hyperlobby isn't coming back. Jiri isn't reliable and the game doesn't work the same way as il2fb does, so hyperlobby isn't compatible. Do you think stomping your feet is going to magically make things better? Go ahead and try but in the meantime I'm going to continue to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

And again, it's not steam that's some how out to get us, it's a bug in the dedicated server code.

You should take the time to educate yourself on the issues before you have a nutty on the forums; it just makes you look silly.

Last edited by CaptainDoggles; 06-23-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Well this got ugly quick.

Learn to spell before you call someone else a moron, little boy. You+are = you're, as in "You're in need of an attitude adjustment."

The word "your" indicates a possessive case, as in "Your attitude is piss-poor."
thnx webster...you get called on your BS and this is your response...

Quote:
Firstly it's not my "beloved" steam, let me quote one of my previous posts to you:
There are how many games on steam right now? How many tens of thousands of counterstrike servers alone? Probably another twenty thousand team fortress 2 servers on top of that and all of them running fine.
and the whole CLOD community feels warm and fuzzy now knowing that counter stroke and team dateless 2 are running without problems...because that is why we bought CLOD....
Quote:
Do you think that it's a problem with steam that somehow manifests itself for our game and our game only?
Or maybe if you used a little bit of logic do you think that maybe it's a bug in CLOD's dedicated server code? Hmmmmmmm let's meditate on this for a second and really mull it over. I could rattle of a list of 30 games and I bet if I went and checked, they all would have functioning dedicated servers.
hmmmmm are the CLOD servers logging themselves off? trying using LOGIC before you start preaching.... if someone's server on HL has a bug IT DOES NUKE ALL THE OTHER ONES! and as for you list of 30...who cares! we are talking about CLOD....
Quote:
You and your attitude are counterproductive. Bitching and moaning about the sorry state of multiplayer is what's killing multiplayer.

It's a bug, they happen, and it'll get fixed in due time. I suspect the developers have a lot on their plate at the moment. In the meantime, I was playing this afternoon in a server with 40+ people and it was super fun!
40..oh my..for a game that can support 128 that really is impressive...OH WAIT. ..A P2P disconnect happens when you get close to 60 that disconnect happens with steam...BUT im sure thats a bug that will get fixed in time..as long as my bitching moaning and attitude don't get in the way...
Quote:
If you maybe go back and learn to read, you'll see I was trying to highlight a feature of steam that a) many are unaware of and b) some might find useful, like they did in hyperlobby.
teach me to read little boy...your pointing out crap without the facts...who cares about chat when the servers cannot stay running...what are they going to talk about?...make bets on how long a server will be up?!?!?

Quote:
You can call that fanboyism if you want. I'll call it being positive. Hyperlobby isn't coming back. Jiri isn't reliable and the game doesn't work the same way as il2fb does, so hyperlobby isn't compatible. Do you think stomping your feet is going to magically make things better? Go ahead and try but in the meantime I'm going to continue to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

And again, it's not steam that's some how out to get us, it's a bug in the dedicated server code.

You should take the time to educate yourself on the issues before you have a nutty on the forums; it just makes you look silly.
positive? you are anything but...all you doing is acting like you have something to contribute but you DON'T. pointing out some useless feature of steam does nothing to fix the
'bug in the dedicated server" as you called it...speaking of education...did you wright the HOW TO on setting up a dedicated server?...nope my bad you figured out why the ATI cards were under clocking....
while were on the subject what do you recommend for writing a GUI for the C# scripting language ? MONO?...

S!
EVGA 660SC (super clocked) 2GB Vram
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
64 GB SSD SATA II HD
WIN7 UL 64BIT
Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Approved Member

I don't understand why you're getting so upset about this.

You came into this thread with a major chip on your shoulder, all sarcastic and unhelpful. You get called out on it and now you're throwing a temper tantrum.

That's not how we play bridge, son.

I started this thread to help people out, maybe try to foster some community growth. Not sure why you've got a problem with that you worthless piece of trash.

Go troll somebody else's thread. I've reported you to the moderators.

And for the record I use Visual Studio when I write my C# code. I like the intellisense better than mono's version of it.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Approved Member

One of the nice things about hyperlobby was...

It worked.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
One of the nice things about hyperlobby was...

It worked.

True. It's the standard of 1946. And a good one. I kind of liken it to the SBD Dauntless, it was old, showing its age, but still kick arse. After all in the hands of the right pilot it could hold its own against zeros and take down the finest ships ever to set sail.

IMO, I think once this game takes off, either the devs will code a hosting feature that comes with the game where someone can set up a host or have a server that allows links to others, so everyone can get together and join games

or a 3rd party / fan will make it. They can get the best of what HL had, throw in some improvements, take some cool ideas from other lobby type programs like Xbox Live.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I don't understand why you're getting so upset about this.

You came into this thread with a major chip on your shoulder, all sarcastic and unhelpful. You get called out on it and now you're throwing a temper tantrum.

That's not how we play bridge, son.

I started this thread to help people out, maybe try to foster some community growth. Not sure why you've got a problem with that you worthless piece of trash.

Go troll somebody else's thread. I've reported you to the moderators.
Can't help but agree with this. I've played all manner of MP games via Steam servers and never had an issue, though I admit I've not taken CloD online yet. I don't get the hatred for it, I really don't. Any issue is far more likely to lie within the netcode for CloD itself, rather than with Steam.

OP's idea was a good one. Let's make use of what we have.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Approved Member

Wow, this is getting out of hand pretty fast.

All due respect oddball, but you just came in blasting the guy. I'm no fan of Steam myself (i would have no issue if it wouldn't require me to run it every time and worked just as a distribution platform, but it doesn't work like this unfortunately) but that's not how i would argue the case.

Also, being no fan of steam doesn't mean i won't recognize and admit what works about it and what doesn't.

I think the main reason they went with Steam is how it handles mods and makes it easy to have servers running different legitimate mods while providing some sort of anti-cheat protection too.

The reason we get servers shutting down is surely steam related, but since it's only CoD that does this it must also be CoD related too. Someone mentioned to me a few days ago that quite possibly the steam network queries the servers at certain intervals in order to have a tally of which ones are active and maintain its bandwidth use. If the server doesn't respond then it gets booted because steam thinks it has crashed. So in all probability, the dedicated server code is missing a function that would reply to this call.

On a non-personal note now...

Let's all drop our agendas and make usability our one and only agenda, then maybe we'll be able to get a clear evaluation of things.

Also, read the manual, it's in your installation folder. It clearly states it's possible to use 3rd party server browsers if you want to. The fact that CoD is not on Hyperlobby is not 1c's fault, it's just that the HL developer didn't do it yet for his own reasons.

If people want HL support they will probably get better results by donating a few bucks to Jiri and asking him to add CoD to HL, rather than barking up 1c's tree who, guess what, have nothing to do with HL whatsoever. It's not their project, they are not responsible for it, all they can do is leave a door open so that CoD can be compatible with 3rd party multiplayer tools which they have already done and that's all there is to it.

There's too many people getting confused, being ill-informed and failing to make a distinction on why certain things don't work or work in a different manner, that pretty often it all ends in a counter-productive "it's all Luthier's fault" in a single-digit amount of posts.

Everyone has the right to complain and express opinions. However, if you want people to take you seriously exercise some common courtesy and do your homework first before running your mouth and that goes for everyone, myself included.

Go to steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\manual and click on the PDF file.
For the love of god, read it people.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Approved Member

Bravo Blackdog, Bravo