Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

Guys are using that mod in SEOW for months.

You need only a little practice and all will be fine.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Default Alas, 4.10m Safety Fuse Prevents Skip Bombing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post

I've been trying for some time to come up with a speed/altitude/distance/aircraft combination that works for skip bombing ships and for me it's a bust. this was a tactic that was used and worked, but now you are sentencing those that say they can do it to certain death.

If the stated reason for doing it is true, to stop folks from dropping bombs from parked aircraft, then code the bomb releases not to drop at all with aircraft that are on the ground. End of problem.

Right now I just am getting the feeling that someone else is trying to force their style of game play on me.

It's not making me happy.

You said it well! Yes, I too got the impression that someone else is trying to force their style of bombing on others - and what is the worst, in an unrealistic way. In recent 4.10m mission I was advised to drop from minimum alt of 500 meters..! For precision bomber, denying 'jabo' bombing this is like denying fighter pilot from shooting closer than 500 meters to target..!

In reality, bombs were fused for each mission bombing style. Original makers of IL-2 flight sim have made very fine bomb bounce modeling to enable low accuracy bombing styles like ground 'slide bombing' and ship 'bounce bombing' or 'skip bombing'. Now all these low bombing styles are denied from us because of the 410m safety fuse! No more work for a precison bombing pilot in 4.10m, I have to go back to 4.09m again...

If there are bomb salvo settings, please let pilots set them like it was done back then! Safety fuse style forced 'idiot bombing' modes are good for AI pilots, but many human pilots like to learn precision bombing the real way - low! So please either remove that 4.10m safety fuse from the next patch or let people set it with other bombing salvo settings -quite like in reality..!

Bomb SALVO Fix to Consider for the Next Patch?

The otherways very realistic IL-2 has got from its beginning one great bomber reality flaw: The bombs are always dropped as forced pairs only. There is no chance to set bomb SALVO for bombing drops individually, one by one, as in reality.

It may seem a laborious job to set all bombers for one by one bomb SALVO. However, there are good news: It already has been done!

There already is a 'Weapon Control Mod' to fix IL-2 bomb SALVO built by ZloyPetrushkO that has proved to work well. I have test flown with it for months and have only good to say about it. The Weapon Controller lets pilot set into IL-2 conf.ini file the SALVO to drop any number of bombs individually at desired intervals! Now this is like it was done by the bomber crews!

Bomber Pilot's Wish Nr.1

Maybe it could be considered to add this 'Weapon Controller' bomb SALVO fix to next IL-2 patch..? If not yet to 4.10m, maybe the one after it? This is a shy bomber pilot's wish who would like this flight sim keep and improve its fine feeling of reality! More about the 'Weapon Controller' to fix the IL-2 flight sim bomb SALVO on another thread.

All the Best,

- J. Hartikka -

IL-2 Virtual Bomber Pilot

Finland

Last edited by JHartikka; 01-04-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

@JHartikka

i wish that you've read all posts regarding this.
Then you would have seen that it is still possible to do those skip / bouncing attacks successfully.
It is slightly more difficult to drop from 30 m instead of 10 m or less, but hey, we were spoiled!
It was much too easy till now.
Successful earth moving was always more demanding and less glamorous then shooting at planes, imho.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Approved Member

S!

I read this whole thread now, and all I can say: THANKS LETUM! Your posts are really nice and useful texts to read.

I can add only this: due to limitation of the game engine, in several aspects, skip bombing of ships is much easier in IL-2 than in RL. This fact leads to very unrealistic outcomes of anyone trying to play a convoy protection or naval battle scenario.

So, even if this bomb fuzing solution is not 100% realistic, its impact on the style of combat in such scenarios is definitely increasing the realistic feel, if by nothing else, then at least by bringing the outcome of such battles to much more realistic levels.

Maybe the means are not 100% perfect, but the end justifies the means!

Thank you TD!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Approved Member

While not a priority on my list, I agree, the ability to change the fusing is important.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
While not a priority on my list, I agree, the ability to change the fusing is important.
Fusing or arming???
Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
Fusing or arming???
Did I miss something?
The type of fuse will dictate when it will arm, and what will set it off (impact, time delay, disarming, even magnetic for mines)
Old 01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Approved Member

Practice makes perfect. I am sure that a large percentage of those who tried skip-bombing in WWII failed also.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumoschwanz View Post
Practice makes perfect. I am sure that a large percentage of those who tried skip-bombing in WWII failed also.

+1

The real is that skip bombing was a hazardous tactic not used frequently as it was in IL2, exactly because in IL2 it was too easy. Some did not used skip, just approached low and close enough the ships and released the bombs, hiting directly. No fusing, they scored hits 100% times. This is not real.

p.s: to not say they suceed 100% always, sometimes one colided with the ship's cables. Hehehe...

Last edited by Ernst; 01-20-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumoschwanz View Post
Are you going to publish your practise maps and how they're used? Tracks would be nice.