Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

Sounds awesome! Keeping fingers crossed it actually happens
Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsch View Post
Sounds awesome! Keeping fingers crossed it actually happens
this is one snip of info oleg previously provided to related questions (there are many related bits he released over the last few years on this)

the question to him was (in this forum):

Quote:
2) will there be civilian road and rail traffic in BoB ?
- right now in il2 when you see a truck or car on the road it is always military (even the bicycles), same with the trains they are always a military target. if we have some civilian road traffic (few buses and cars maybe doing a programmed "loop" journey) and trains in england (and they existed in ww2 period) then points could be deducted for destroying innocent civilian objects, and that means we need to correctly identify a target before engaging it, not just shoot at anything that moves !
oleg's answer

Quote:
2. It is possible. Probably we will minimize it in release, becasue of hit to resources, but in general Buses already now can travel by their own trajectory in a city and make stops as well cars will try to find place for parking in a end "waypoint". It is working already. Just would repeat the amount of such action probably we will need to minimize due to resource eater feature. But for Editor we will offere to use it for enduser to modify scenery, etc...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

some more snips along a similar vein (the greater plan for BoB)

question:
Quote:
99) Oleg I have seen that models of planes and vehicles have hinges that can be manipulated. Is this also a feature that the player will be allowed to use? Like opening hatches on a tankturret or opening the cockpit of a fighterplane?
And will this feature also be applied to human figures? So the player will be able to position the arms and such of the body?
oleg's answer
Quote:
From the beginning we are making all things openable... I dopn't know how many of these features will go in final reelase... but as with Il-2 this means we will modify the code that to use the BASE input at initial development. With the release we will have AA-guns controlbale by player... this is intersting for Online, but it will also works in a single missions, if you only like to create such.

And as I told... the code will be partially open in terms of modification with the use out of normal fixed parameters and code servers...

In time I think we may see even U-boat controlable The water is transparent in engine.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Approved Member

I had a favorite mission that I had made in IL2. It was a ground based mission that had 50 vehicles on the road. They were jeeps, buses, fuel trucks all on the roads as singles, through out the scope of the map. My machine seemed to handle it well, but I had a hell of time finding many of those moving possible target's. Its a big map, with lots of roads and eyestrain, looking and searching non stop. But when one was found, it sure was fun to make an ID with a low pass, and if one of ours I would tip my wings and move on. If Oleg could offer human figures in the objects list, I think it would add a lot to the map, while not causing too big of a PC hit. The vehicles could always be just added by the mission designer.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

I think it was about 4 or 5 years ago that I brought this up last time...it seems to have a better reaction this time.

To add to what others said, having no life in the game is a killer and with how beautifully this sim looks, it's too bad that it's not complete.

I've heard Oleg's remarks about the buses and I'm TOTALLY for keeping the number of "civilians" to a minimum. Of course it would be great if they were actually 3d with natural movement on paths like the buses but even if the are stationary, I think that would work pretty well.

I also think humans would help put things into better scale. When flying over cities, at times, the buildings seem somewhat out of scale and to have people near them, it might make it more natural.

I would really like having people out on farms.

It would also be interesting to be able to build columns of refugees leaving battle areas. Of course, in WWII Concentration camps put people on Death marches and it might be interesting to be forced, as a pilot, to pay attention to details and not just shoot everything on the roads.

Again, I keep coming back to the using civilians to make it a more interesting by creating an incentive NOT to kill civilians.

I've been reading "The Monuments Men." It's a historical book about the Soldiers who were put into action to guard the irreplaceable monuments and artwork of Europe. As The Allied Soldiers move in through Europe, the Germans were moving artwork out of France and then through Germany. There was actually a Burt Lancaster movie called "The Train," that followed part of this story. In this case, it was a train and the French underground (in the movie) painted the top of the cars with artwork, white so as to warn the Allied bombers.

Anyways, I think it would be VERY interesting to set up scenarios like this.

Oleg, please make this available.

Last edited by artjunky; 04-21-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artjunky View Post
it's too bad that it's not complete.
It'll never be complete, old bean. When someone finally builds the absolute-universe emulator, you and I will both be dead and will not care for one.

Why do people find it so impossible to understand that at current technology levels, we cannot implement the world, or even a fraction of it.

What we do is reproduce enough in a player-experience to try to give that person the impression they are, for instance, flying a plane. Over England, say.

For the love of God, would people please stop asking for detail that is beyond this decade's processing power?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
It'll never be complete, old bean. When someone finally builds the absolute-universe emulator, you and I will both be dead and will not care for one.

Why do people find it so impossible to understand that at current technology levels, we cannot implement the world, or even a fraction of it.

What we do is reproduce enough in a player-experience to try to give that person the impression they are, for instance, flying a plane. Over England, say.

For the love of God, would people please stop asking for detail that is beyond this decade's processing power?
Well said.

And can people also note that just because a feature could be modelled in SoW:BoB, that doesn't mean it will. It isn't just a question of processing power, other resources are finite too.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
Well said.

And can people also note that just because a feature could be modelled in SoW:BoB, that doesn't mean it will. It isn't just a question of processing power, other resources are finite too.
Exactly
People need to realize that because something is possible doesn't mean its gonna be implemented. Any engine of any game has endless more possibilities than what's actually included in a specific game, unreal , cryengine.. (aka It's a ******* engine)

Besides why would we be interested in a simulated world, we are here for a flight sim.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

Of course there are other ways of developing an immersive environment for a combat sim experience. But for the life of me I cant bring myself to ask my wife to get up at four o'clock, dress up as my batman, polish my boots wake me up with a cup of tea before cooking me a hearty meal of kippers prior to my first mission of the the day!

Personally I think it would be more likely to get Oleg to include civilian targets!

Cheers!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

Hmmm , I seem to remember another groupe of people who went around telling others what they could and couldnt say and how they should and should'nt be thinking... now what were they called , oh well perhaps it will come to me later.