Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Approved Member

thanks!

You guys are doing lots of awesome.

Keep it up! It's gonna be legend-

... wait for it... (this is key, )

and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is

DAIRY!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freycinet View Post
Zapatista, check out my latest five vids, you can set the exact FOV you want...

to get the smooth zooming in/zooming out, you have to go into:

Control options,
Camera,
And set "Hold to adjust view" to whichever button you prefer (keyboard or joystick)

- If you then hold down that button and move your mouse forward or backward it will change the field of view in a gradual way.

It is an ok option to have, but it would be much better if CoD allowed you to set a "zoom in"-button and a "zoom out"-button, as in - for example - RoF.
that is a very disorienting and clumsy way to do it, and not practical during normal flight or intense dogfighting situations

the point also is that we should be able to view the "in game" CoD world with the right FoV setting for our monitor size (for ex 55 FoV for a 27' monitor) so we can see all objects (planes, vehicles, ships) in their correct sizes, and then use a snap view KB/hotas control to zoom in (and aim at a specific part ) or get a wide view (to increase peripheral view and SA) briefly, and then snap back to a normal view which gives us instantly again the correct perception of object sizes and the distance we are from them !

trying to do that by a clumsy zoom in/out, which doesnt even have a reference point for what is "normal" for you monitor size, doesnt really help. people also use the magic zoom as a way to "game the game" rather then try and simulate a ww2 aircraft pilot experience

we need to be able to set a specific correct FoV setting for our respective monitor sizes, and then key bind the snap view settings we want to use for wide and zoom, which are settings used to try and replicate more closely issues like intense concentration on one object (zoom) or better peripheral vision and SA (wide view) and so represent what we would experience in a cockpit in real life, and reduce the limitations of watching a small screen in our livingrooms

we did already have this option in the old il2 series, where you could set it to any kb key at 5 degree intervals between 35 and 90 FoV, we need that same feature in CoD !
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 06-09-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Bombsight bugs in the luftwaffe bombers: When automation is engaged, the sight tracks the target correctly by treating user input as metric units. However, the release point is calculated wrong because it treats the "bombsight speed" values as imperial units.

So, if you are flying at 300km/h and input that in the bombsight, the sight will track the target correctly but release wrong. If you convert your speed to mph and input that in the sight, it will not track correctly but will release correctly for whatever it is tracking.
It changed with the most recent build. If you put in IAS and altitude in the bombsight, it will not track correctly, but it will drop on target (you have to force it to stay on target with the raise/lower bombsight button while using bombsight automation You no longer need to convert metric to imperial.

With that... bombsight automation doesn't track correctly, your using IAS instead of TAS, the bombsight is fuzzy, and there is no indication when your bombs have dropped.

To top it off mode 22 has some strange habit of putting your plane into a shallow dive, only leveling out after you fly 100km or so
Old 06-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
Hello Blacksix,

In future the devs will improve the CEM to include realistic engine limitations? Acctualy in the 109 i can fly all the time with 1.3 ata when it should be only for 5 minutes. Fly all time at 1.2 when it should be 30 minutes etc. I can use the 1.45 ata at will. I say the 109 cause i am used with it but the engine limits shouold be valida to RAF fighters as well. Acctualy i do not see pilots worried to preserve their engines. Normally i like to fly the ac like they would be flied. I set 1.1 ata (only half throtllt) and 2280 rpm for cruise. 1.2 ata and 2400 for continuous climb, but if i want can maintain the power at 100% all time.
+100000
Completely AGREE with this!
The Engine management is one of the key features of this sim, and now is not completely accurate (regard with the historical data). IMHO the first versions of the sim, had a very accurate engine management system, but with the newest patches, this, change into an "not too much realistic" management mode
Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
that is a very disorienting and clumsy way to do it, and not practical during normal flight or intense dogfighting situations

the point also is that we should be able to view the "in game" CoD world with the right FoV setting for our monitor size (for ex 55 FoV for a 27' monitor) so we can see all objects (planes, vehicles, ships) in their correct sizes, and then use a snap view KB/hotas control to zoom in (and aim at a specific part ) or get a wide view (to increase peripheral view and SA) briefly, and then snap back to a normal view which gives us instantly again the correct perception of object sizes and the distance we are from them !

trying to do that by a clumsy zoom in/out, which doesnt even have a reference point for what is "normal" for you monitor size, doesnt really help. people also use the magic zoom as a way to "game the game" rather then try and simulate a ww2 aircraft pilot experience

we need to be able to set a specific correct FoV setting for our respective monitor sizes, and then key bind the snap view settings we want to use for wide and zoom, which are settings used to try and replicate more closely issues like intense concentration on one object (zoom) or better peripheral vision and SA (wide view) and so represent what we would experience in a cockpit in real life, and reduce the limitations of watching a small screen in our livingrooms

we did already have this option in the old il2 series, where you could set it to any kb key at 5 degree intervals between 35 and 90 FoV, we need that same feature in CoD !
Agree 100%.
I popped back into 1946 today and it was great selecting 60 degrees as my standard setting - flicking into gunsight view or wide as I needed and then returning to my default 60 degrees.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedsquirrel View Post
It changed with the most recent build. If you put in IAS and altitude in the bombsight, it will not track correctly, but it will drop on target (you have to force it to stay on target with the raise/lower bombsight button while using bombsight automation You no longer need to convert metric to imperial.

With that... bombsight automation doesn't track correctly, your using IAS instead of TAS, the bombsight is fuzzy, and there is no indication when your bombs have dropped.

To top it off mode 22 has some strange habit of putting your plane into a shallow dive, only leveling out after you fly 100km or so
If it doesn't track correctly then the units (or the tracking code) are probably messed up again. What you describe sounds exactly like one of the methods i was describing before, where the player converts to imperial units for proper release and fights against the wrong tracking, but if i understand you correctly now it happens without even converting to imperial...sounds a bit confusing

I'm not doubting your observations mind you, just thinking out loud to see what the reason behind it might be.

As for the R22 autopilot mode, that is easy. It's probably more of a problem with the 111's engines not producing the expected power settings (they tend to be on the low RPM side, especially noticeable during take-off) than the autopilot itself.

Mode R22 is a wings level function, where the AP turns the aircraft by rudder only. So the general idea is to navigate and roughly line up the target with course steering mode (the one that uses aileron turns), then engage R22 mode from the initial point and fly the bomb run using that one.

I have tried it and it does in fact work quite well, as long as you don't overdo it with the corrections because the rudder will bleed off too much airspeed and you lose even more altitude.

The trick with mode R22 is to get to 300km/h IAS before engaging it, as that seems to be the speed for which it is calibrated. What i usually do is climb an extra 500 - 1000m above my intended altitude, then go into a shallow dive and engage R22. As the aircraft picks up speed and wants to climb i cancel out the tendency with elevator trim, until i'm flying straight and level at 300km/h IAS. Then it's time to enter the speed and altitude values in the sight and make any course corrections.

I have mapped course steering left/right to my < and > keys, so i just look through the bombsight and give it a tap or two to align the target. I let it stabilize between corrections and not overdo it, otherwise it's too aerodynamically inefficient and the speed/altitude drop.

Like i said, the dive probably has more to do with the 111's engines being a bit on the weak side and the fact that it reacts sluggishly to speed/trim changes. I haven't been able to test this in the 88 however, because its gyrocompass doesn't work.

About the bombsight textures now, that is because of the texture loading bug that appeared for most people with the latest test patch. If the PC can't handle loading the textures in one go, it loads lower detail versions of them.

The reason i say "most people" is that i've had this issue since release. I have an Ati 4890 1Gb graphics card and only 3GB of RAM, so i guess it's got something to do with how the textures are managed in terms of available memory.

However, the majority of players with better systems than mine were unaware of this until recently, where apparently the texture loading issue manifested on a wider range of systems. To tell you the truth, i was happy to see it mentioned because now it's a legitimate issue that is going to get looked at, instead of something that only happens at my end

Anyway, here's hoping we have another test patch by this time next week. It will be good to hop on the server and try some bomber sorties with your regular bomber pilots. What i'm expecting to see is a nice group of 5+ Ju88s on a proper high altitude sortie
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Approved Member

To All:
Please, you have to write bugs here
http://il2bugtracker.com/
and your requests here
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28341
I won't find and take bugs and requests from this thread.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Approved Member

That's constructive moderation, thank you Blackdog!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
Thanks for the update BlackSix, good hear that good things are moving forward.

Do not want to be a spoil but, I get nervous when I see counter-clockwise rotation of the PE-2 propellers.
Picture of the real thing below....

@Blakdog_kt: +1 thanks for putting a nice summary of the bomber issues

~S~

I think the model has the correct direction of rotation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32.jpg (106.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Approved Member

Kurfurst you said:

"The Spit II runs on 100 octane by default, but its emergency limits are lower - 9 lbs vs 12 lbs - and is/was at low altitude. It is a bit better at higher altitudes though."

That is not IMO correct. In the case of the SpitII +9lbs basically became the full throttle setting (i.e. the equiv of 6.25Lbs in the MKI) 12Lbs was still available in two ways by way of the throttle gate for take off operations and by Boost Cut out for combat use.

The RAE standard climb tests are flown at +9Lbs Boost for instance.