Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 09-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
guys, it is a fact that Great Britain alone wouldn't have gone far, you needed to outsource from the Commonwealth and the USA to carry on fighting on so many fronts, let's never forget this.

ETO: American and Commonwealth support

MTO: same as above

PTO: Commonwealth support (in fact you left most of this to the Aussies)
Well heres a case where you are putting words in mouths, read this entire thread and you will not find a single suggestion from anybody that Britain would have fought the war alone and won it, the point we make is we just fought it, and we were fighting it without being provoked because it was the right thing to do, and we would have fought it to the last with or without help.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
I certainly do. In fact when my sister asked me why I studied German at school rather than French, I said it was because I identified more readily with my Anglo-Saxon genes than my Norman ones.

It's also one of the reasons Hitler didn't want to go to war against Britain.

No offence to any of our French members intended, before anyone severs my jugular!
Well, with "you" I was more aiming at kongootto and maybe bongodriver as well, but you are right of course Dutch.

Those guys from the northern part of Germany even fought under Wellington in the Peninsular Campaign and at Waterloo.
And, I will have to confirm this, if I am not mistaken, the House of Windsor are still originally Hanovarians.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
guys, it is a fact that Great Britain alone wouldn't have gone far, you needed to outsource from the Commonwealth and the USA to carry on fighting on so many fronts, let's never forget this.

ETO: American and Commonwealth support

MTO: same as above

PTO: Commonwealth support (in fact you left most of this to the Aussies)
Don't think anyone will disagree much with this, save maybe the last part, Change aussies for USA.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
in fairness, i edited that very quickly, but not quick enough
Dont mind, it has dissapeared.
Actually i had to look in a dictionary what it means.
Love it.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
Ah really and were came your Supplies from? like the tanks and the fuel and the ammo. Without the US Supplies and the later Invasion from the US troops in Morocco, you would have lost.
Oh really...and where exactly did your supplies come from? it's not like you were alone now, you already mentioned the Italians after all, yep thats right, we may have had our supplies from an ally, but it was our boots on the ground....alone, against the Germans and Italians....2 against 1 just in case you don't get it.

and yes by our boots I mean the comonwealth

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition

Last edited by bongodriver; 09-18-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yes but the Schlieffen Plan was flawed anyways and it brought the Britons in to the war.
Of course it was flawed, this was meant to counter the statement that Germany was the main culprit in WW1 and calling the Schlieffen plan as evidence for Germany's agressive plans.

Even before WW1 the german high command knew, due to germany's geographical location, a two fromt war was likely, had to be avoided and would be the worst case scenario.

Britain was brought into WW1 not because of this plan, but because of the treaties that existed at the time.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Dont mind, it has dissapeared.
Actually i had to look in a dictionary what it means.
Love it.
yeah I bet you do too......

Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You didn't gain air superiority over Southern England and the Channel after the Battle of Britain, you kept on receiving raids and German planes were still flying over your territory regularly until late 1941, air superiority over Great Britiain and Northern Europe was achieved only when the Americans got there.
You have a strange conception of air superiority Stern. Air superiority doesn't mean total exclusion of all nuisance hit and run jabo raids, or total prevention of night time city bombing.

The level of German incursion into British airspace lessened dramatically in 1941 and onward, as they spent more of their time shooting down our fighters and bombers on the ridiculous rhubarbs and circuses introduced once Dowding and Park were shoved out to the sidelines.

As more and more of the Luftwaffe were pulled east, for obvious reasons, air superiority over France gradually moved in the Allies favour until by June 1944there was almost total air superiority over the Normandy beaches.

It's not a simple case of the Brits being hopeless until the Yanks arrived, but of course you know that.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedLynch View Post
Well, with "you" I was more aiming at kongootto and maybe bongodriver as well, but you are right of course Dutch.

Those guys from the northern part of Germany even fought under Wellington in the Peninsular Campaign and at Waterloo.
And, I will have to confirm this, if I am not mistaken, the House of Windsor are still originally Hanovarians.
It's OK I know what Anglo Saxon is all about too, but it's a little lost on me because I am 1/4 russian, 1/4 english and the rest is German, Irish and Dutch.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Oh really...and where exactly did your supplies come from? it's not like you were alone now, you already mentioned the Italians after all, yep thats right, we may have had our supplies from an ally, but it was our boots on the ground....alone, against the Germans and Italians....2 against 1 just in case you don't get it.
Well in case of the Italians i would dare to say, it was more 1 1/5 against 1, just in case you don't get it.