Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Approved Member

Default How Realistic Is The Simulation Mode?

First forum post here goes:

I love the demo, but I'm curious, how realistic do all of the IL-2 veterans out there think the Simulation mode is? I'm not a total sim noob, but the last sims I played were the old Dynamix and Larry Holland games, ok maybe that does make me a noob, but it seems like the stall characteristics in the Sim mode are a little too unforgiving to be realistic.

I've read through the threads on this and seen various people's suggestions about turning down the sensitivity, which I have done, but it still seems unrealistically harsh. I've gotten pretty decent at flying the Spit, but the Mustang handles like an airborne freight train no matter what I do, even after firing off all of my rockets its still amazingly sluggish for such a renowned airframe. Is that realistic?

I guess I am more soliciting the opinions of others than venturing my own, being that I feel mine are a bit noobish. Also I realize other threads have touched on this, but I thought it might be constructive to have a thread specifically dedicated to people expressing their opinions on the faithfulness of the different airframe's stall characteristics, mods please delete if you feel this is repetitive.

So what do you guys think?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Approved Member

I don't know how realistic the handling is and anyone here who would claim to know would just be comparing it to other video games. But I can say that using a flight stick makes it 100x easier to control the planes without adjusting the sensitivity.

I don't know if it's because the devs used flight sticks more often when tweaking the controls or what but it's a night and day difference. Although the P51 is still a bit harder to fly in comparison to the Spitfire.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Approved Member

Yeah of course, but if there happen to be any WW2 vets out there please come forth! Is Adolf Galland still alive? Chuck Yeager? Maybe their ghosts?

Barring the near impossible, what I really mean is how do the stall characteristics compare to the original IL-2, which I assume most people on this forum trust as a gold standard.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorwzzerd View Post
Yeah of course, but if there happen to be any WW2 vets out there please come forth! Is Adolf Galland still alive? Chuck Yeager? Maybe their ghosts?

Barring the near impossible, what I really mean is how do the stall characteristics compare to the original IL-2, which I assume most people on this forum trust as a gold standard.
The flight models/ flight dynamics are very close to the pc version. As for your question about realism. Digg around the web, the characteristics you are experiencing with the P 51 are pretty close to the descriptions of WWII pilots.
There are videos out there where Vets talk about the p51 doing things just like it does in the game.
DESODE
Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Approved Member

very helpful, guess I just need to get more better-er.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desode View Post
The flight models/ flight dynamics are very close to the pc version. As for your question about realism. Digg around the web, the characteristics you are experiencing with the P 51 are pretty close to the descriptions of WWII pilots.
There are videos out there where Vets talk about the p51 doing things just like it does in the game.
DESODE
~S~

Desode is right-on.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Approved Member

So when the P-51 is referred to as the "Cadillac of the Skies" it's because it was a horrible barge that couldn't turn properly?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopdreams View Post
So when the P-51 is referred to as the "Cadillac of the Skies" it's because it was a horrible barge that couldn't turn properly?
Well, to me it sounds likely as the shape of the two is very different. And you'll have to admit that the Cadillac is a pleasure to look at, but not really to drive.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Approved Member

I've owned a large number of flight games over the years, some arcadey, some serious sims. I have never invested really serious time into the sims, due to, surprisingly enough, lack of time. So I'm definitely still a flight noob compared to some PC enthusiasts that may be here, though I've sampled a great many game's flight models on both PC and console. Never flown a real plane though.

My take is that the Sim mode is unrealistic. If spitfires and mustangs really stalled and spun out at the slightest attempt to turn like they do in this game, the Luftwaffe would have conquered the world in a week. Something is seriously off.

Why don't you play Arcade then people will ask? Well, I don't want the turbo speed and 1 hit to destroy a Heinkel damage model, that's why. Also the mustang handles kind of poorly, even in arcade mode.

Please don't interpret my post as bashing this game because some things like the graphics, the terrain and the number of planes onscreen are the best I've ever seen in a flight game! I think a patch for the stalling/spinning issue could really unlock this game's full potential, or better yet for us semi-experienced noobs, another mid-range realism setting, as I've suggested in the developer's thread.

Last edited by Rufus_the_Rat; 08-06-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Approved Member

The Spitfire is absolutely fine, I can fly the whole Dover mission on simulation with a pad without stalling. It's just the P-51 that *seems* a bit wonky, it's flyable but it's just not nice to fly.