Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Approved Member

@Stubing ... Check your PM mate.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
My freetrack 2.1 (yeah, I didn't upgrade to 2.2 cause it's working great) is smooth and works without problems in Win XP an Win7 beta/RC1 (Il-2, DCS Black Shark, GRID).

The software costs... nothing.
A webcam cost dirt (the high rezolution TIR 5 is bragging about is nonesense, as the software makes the required aproximation and there is no need for pixel interpolation in hardware)
The LEDs assembly costs 5 bucks at most. You can still order TIR clip if you are lazy or you don't like to play with soldering iron.

The problem with TIR X is that they are just trying to hold down the evolution of the tracking devices... They encrypt their communication protocol with the games in a desperate attempt to lock down the user. I understand them... is the only thing they can do in this "economic crisys" but, history is about to get rid of them as they are no use anymore.

You wanna bet?

here:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5210245/japanes...ree-upskirting

Note... the site I am linking is Gizmodo.com a well known site for gadgets and electronic little things. The game depicted in that presentation might be... "odd" to some... but, is Japan market and they have few centuries ahead of "western crowd" in some areas .

So... actual face/head tracking is possible with a normal unmodified webcam. The software can be open source/free as always.

So, there is no need to fall on your backs when you hear about last desperate market acrobatic maneuver of a dying niche of money milking... "economic entity".

TIR 5 is a joke.

http://vimeo.com/2880313 encrypt this

or this:

http://www.camspace.com/
Oh my!.. feel stupid that i spend those dollars to my tir4 pro.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakinroll View Post
Oh my!.. feel stupid that i spend those dollars to my tir4 pro.
How so? The difference between a marketable technology and a piece software demonstrating a technology is huge interms of effort and time and cost.

You and I paid good money for TIR's because they work with the minimum amount of effort on our part. Nautral point developed a marketable technology that has been integrated into a lot of programs.

Just few question. Who here uses their Track IR software in mouse emulation mode with unsupported software? What is your satisfaction with the result?

My quess at the answers would be , Not many , and It could be improved. My take on things is that TrackIR is effective because it is nativly supported in a wide range of current software titles and the list is getting bigger. Without this native support then Track IR would just be a curiosity like the two bits of software shown above.

Now when these new technologies mature and are nativey supported and are ready to market, I doubt that they will be "free". The developers that put in all that time, effort and money will want to be recoginised and in our culture money if the generally acceptable medium for that recogintion. (About the exception for this is of course those highly talented and dedicated individuals who create mission and skins, content and the like for games and all they want in return is the occasion "hey! This is cool" mention in dispatches!)

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 05-17-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Approved Member

Ordered my TrackIR two weeks ago through PCaviator.......on backorder and no response from their customer service....

with shipping the cost is $159.95 which is much less than the price offered by TrackIR but question service....
On the other hand I had a problem too with my order to TrackIR: their website didn't acknowledge my order but took in my cash. Fortunately somebody from TrackIR noticed it and gave me a refund

reading your experience especially the 6DOF problem I wonder if I did the right move. My main reason was that I broke my TrackIR4 at the level of this ridiculously small swivel axis and now it is quite hard to adjust ( had to glue it to the base as it was impossible to fix the swivel axis).

I will be back and give you my impressions once the stuff arrives (10 days with UPS once they got it in stock)....

Cheers,

Eckhart

Last edited by Eckhart; 05-17-2009 at 03:28 AM.