Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 06-22-2018, 11:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldy View Post
I tested now all others bombsights, still He 111H-2 is wrong, dont show height and speed.
That's because the He-111 H-2 doesn't have height and speed inputs.

BZG-2 operation:
• Establish course to target. Pilot can use the old compass/course heading plus & minus keys
to set needed course to the Patin compass and “kurskreisel”. When course autopilot is
engaged, the plane will turn to selected course and maintain it. This is also very convenient for
navigation.
• Look through the bombsight optics as bombardier. Bombardier can use the new bombsight
keys “course left” and “course right” keys to make very small and accurate corrections to
plane's course. “Course ahead” key is just for convenience and it will set the Patin/kurskreisel
course immediately to current heading. It should be only used before engaging the course
autopilot.
• Eliminate wind drift with bomb sight drift keys if needed. There should be no sideways
movement.
• Keep steady speed and take following measurement to find correct drop angle.
• Adjust bombsight elevation angle so that the dual triangle mark (1) points to correct alt
reading (values at the inner ring). 30 means 3000 meters. In the screenshot below the
elevation angle is set to 3000m.
• Wait until a suitable fixed landmark appears at the reticle. This landmark cannot be your
actual target because this procedure needs to be made well before you reach your actual
target. Landmark should be selected from near sea level to have most precise measurement.
For example shorelines are good landmarks.
• When the center of crosshair drifts over usable landmark, turn on the bombsight
automation (with the old key you should have already mapped).
• When the bombsight automation is turned on, you should see the hollow triangle (4)
moving clockwise. It shows the drop angle you need to use and it will keep on moving until the
bombsight automation is turned off.
• Start reducing the elevation angle so that the dual triangle mark (1) moves clockwise.
Reduce the angle until it reaches the fixed black triangle (2) at the end of the altitude scale.
Alternatively this whole process can be made at the shorter secondary scale (at 6 o'clock of the
reticle) using larger elevation angles. In this case you need to reduce the elevation angle until
the mark (1) meets the fixed black triangle (3).
• When you have reduced the elevation angle so that triangle mark (1) is at the correct end
marker (2) or (3), you just need to wait until the very same landmark you selected is under
and center of the crosshair again. When this happens, turn off the bombsight automation to
stop the drop angle marker (4) movement.
• Now you have established the correct drop angle for your current speed & alt. Adjust the
elevation angle so that markers (1) and (4) meet and your bombsight is set to the correct drop
angle.
• Drop bombs manually when the target appears at the center of the crosshair.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Approved Member

I don't know if this is new or intended, but I've noticed AI fighter aircraft don't attack Artillery category targets such as a 150mm Howitzer if they only have machine gun armament remaining, even if set to GATTACK and with the Artillery specified as their set target.

They will bomb them, and follow up with strafing runs on trucks, but then break off as soon as only the Howitzers are left. In comparison, cannon armed fighters will bomb and then follow up with strafing runs targeting the Howitzers as well.

It's not that the machine guns can't destroy this kind of artillery in game. They certainly can, but the AI don't even try. And it's not that the AI thinks all items in the Artillery category are armoured, because Katyusha trucks still get strafed.

And I don't see why this would be intended behaviour either. After all, in real life MG armed fighters on strike missions would follow up with strafing runs on non-armoured artillery positions specified as their target just as readily as cannon armed fighters I'm sure. Just having a gunshield isn't going to be enough to deter an aerial MG attack. An aircraft can choose it's attack direction and take out a gun crew with relative ease, so it should still be considered as a 'soft' target worthy of a strafing run at least as much as a truck is.

Whatever the cause, it would be great if this can be fixed.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Approved Member

Is anyone else having problems with the U2-LNB? Specifically when dropping bombs, despite being above the minimun altitude, they still do not explode.

Tried with 6xfab50s. Used an instant fuse first time, instant. Another player was using 2xfab100_2xfab50 bombs unknown fuse. Third player was using the 2xabkp3, again don't know which fuse setting. No one could get bombs to explode.

Last edited by Marabekm; 08-22-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marabekm View Post
Is anyone else having problems with the U2-LNB? Specifically when dropping bombs, despite being above the minimun altitude, they still have a 95% chance of not exploding>
with what type of fuse? in fact i heard something about it recently..

i suppose speed of u-2 is too low to armed fuse...

Old 08-21-2018, 11:16 PM
Approved Member

I posted something about this with pics awhile back, if you link the U-2 to the target they go in way to low, like almost wheels on the ground low and the bombs cant arm or they blow themselves up if you selected instant as flight leader. For mission building purposes the best way to use U2 is as a 700-1200m level bomber, unlinked to its target. Linking leads to almost 10m or lower approach and disaster. Best overall weapon is for 6x fab 50 in pairs from 800m, or attacking trucks from rear in shallow dive dropping in pairs. AI does its own thing and usually kills itself. Unlinked it will drop over intersection, town etc and usually survives as its high enough. Tell it to attack vehicles and usually ends in plonking into the ground.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Is anyone else having problems with the U2-LNB? Specifically when dropping bombs, despite being above the minimun altitude, they still have a 95% chance of not exploding>
I also have this problem with bombs but it is not exclusive to the U-2. Since the new fuze system has been put in place I have a lot of duds when dropping bombs from a low altitude. I have done some tests and the culprit seems to be the bombs' arming time which is way too long after dropping them.

For example, flying an IL-2 between 20 m and 30 m, and 4 Fab-50 with low fuze at 160 km/h may result in a dud. Flying at the same altitude and 270 km/h will result in an explosion. I have also noticed that bombs start whistling one they are armed but it doesn't work every time.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Approved Member

Now you got me curious Sita. What does speed have to do with arming of fuse? I get the altitude part. The bomb needs time to arm and its a safe guard so you don't blow yourself up. But speed?
Old 08-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

Default heres some U2 Ai donks

These show AI U2 attacking and hitting ground or way to low. These were all linked to their targets with bomb icon and linked. grab 30 is a mistake will link and send another pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grab0028.jpg (477.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg grab0025.jpg (562.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg grab0011.jpg (332.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg grab0019.jpg (380.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg grab0030.jpg (412.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-22-2018, 05:21 PM
Approved Member

Default More Donks

more AI quirks and low smashes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grab0029.jpg (529.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg grab0023.jpg (709.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
What does speed have to do with arming of fuse?
The bomb has a vane which rotates in the air. When it rotates a certain number of times, the bomb will be armed. If it is released at a higher speed, it will 'unwind' faster. From the same altitude, the bomb does of course take the same amount of time to hit the ground but it is also following a longer trajectory through the air so there will be more turns of the vane in the same time.