Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 02-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

.tga format is available still but i don't see the "layers" in PS CS6
Old 02-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Approved Member

Yep. It was removed. They don't allow to save 32 bit pics anymore. Now I remember that at some time it was removed as a solution to an online hack about hitting print screen to generate lag.

Anyway, that TGA thing was only to apreciate the light masking layer. It is there.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Approved Member

Just try a google search of these two: Frederic Remington and Frank Tenney Johnson. They are two great American painters and used to portray night in green, with great realism and stunning results.

I’m sceptical about “laws” on colour perception by human eyes, as there are as many differences as human beings. To say nothing about tastes: for example, I would love green nights!

I cannot say much about technical feasibility, but I feel that, as the time resources of TD are limited and precious, they should be better employed elsewhere. What I can say, I’m pretty sure that some people would be happy, some neutral, and some unhappy, with all the in-between shades.

In short: if any change is made, please keep it as an option!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Approved Member

In Kurosawa's Ran (or Kagemusha?) were night scenes photographed in green. I haven't even noticed it until I heard the director of photography talking about how he came to this idea.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

I actually wish nights were brighter so I could actually fly a night mission without just turning on the autopilot and 8x time acceleration to get it over with. All I can see at night is a black screen. The opening post here shows 2 completely black pictures with just a few grey dots that are stars. I have my brightness all the way to 100% on the monitor and gamma set to 1.70 in the nvidia control panel. Any higher and the color starts to wash out. I guess it's because I still use a CRT monitor, but I've always hated the way LCD monitors looked overly bright with washed out colors. That's why I never bought one.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash 8 View Post
I actually wish nights were brighter so I could actually fly a night mission without just turning on the autopilot and 8x time acceleration to get it over with. All I can see at night is a black screen.
To some extent that's realistic. Modern people mostly living in areas of "light pollution" forget just how dark it can get in blackout conditions, especially when there's a new moon and/or overcast.

But, I don't think the game does as good a job as it could of modeling the effects of moonlight or early dusk and dawn, nor does it model things like moonlight reflecting off of clouds, to make somewhat brighter conditions above an overcast.

In any case, the option of having "cosmetic darkness" where you can increase the the contrast between ground and sky while still having the appearance of darkness would be a nice addition - albeit unrealistic. It might also be simple enough to implement, since all that's needed is a "filter" layer