Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

Fw 190 rules! It's pleasant to fly. Lots of people like it, I like it too. My favourite is probably the A5, even though the later variants have better weapons.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM
What the heck...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
It's the plane I flied most from the beginning of the sim.
Now the main maneuver that I mastered on it, that allowed me to vanquish one on one a spit IX or a La-7 at low altitude, is imposible to do it anymore since 4.10. It will allways enter into a spin. On 4.09 it works like a charm.

If by flying smart, you mean flying it as if it was a 109, then it is no more a 190. And I hate flying that way, since it is of no practice use for a JaBo. You have to go low and survive.
You've just resoundingly confirmed the point that Jumoschwanz made earlier.

The bolded part is the problem. It's nice that you were able to do that in an earlier version of the game, but that's just not representative of how historical FW performed against such types. In the FW, deliberately engaging in a turn fight against dedicated turn fighters - especially the likes of Spits and late-model Lavochkins - was a death sentence. Trying to keep up with such types in turn fights would invariably see the FW flop over. If you were able to turn with them while in a FW, then either the FW was turning too well, or the others weren't turning well enough. Reducing the FW's sustained turn performance and increasing it's vertical performance was the correct thing for the devs to do.

If you want a turn fighter, then you simply need to fly something else. The 190 can turn-fight in a pinch, but only to a limited degree, and that's not it's strength, anyway. It utterly dominates in vertical fights.

Complaining about the FW because it no longer flies the way you want it to do is like complaining that a top-fuel dragster can't compete in circuit racing with F1 cars.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
You've just resoundingly confirmed the point that Jumoschwanz made earlier.

The bolded part is the problem. It's nice that you were able to do that in an earlier version of the game, but that's just not representative of how historical FW performed against such types. In the FW, deliberately engaging in a turn fight against dedicated turn fighters - especially the likes of Spits and late-model Lavochkins - was a death sentence. Trying to keep up with such types in turn fights would invariably see the FW flop over. If you were able to turn with them while in a FW, then either the FW was turning too well, or the others weren't turning well enough. Reducing the FW's sustained turn performance and increasing it's vertical performance was the correct thing for the devs to do.

If you want a turn fighter, then you simply need to fly something else. The 190 can turn-fight in a pinch, but only to a limited degree, and that's not it's strength, anyway. It utterly dominates in vertical fights.

Complaining about the FW because it no longer flies the way you want it to do is like complaining that a top-fuel dragster can't compete in circuit racing with F1 cars.
Where did I ever mentioned entering into a turn fight? Hasty conclusions maybe... also... the maneuver is described on many texts as the main strenght of the 190 against the spits. It used to work. Now it doesn´t.
Is a mixture of half barrel rolls and scissors. No sustained turns involved.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 PM
What the heck...?

Scissors would be considered turn fighting.

If you're not BnZ'ing in a FW, you're doing it wrong.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

You can`t even do a mild 45º turn with a 190 without it getting unstable right now. I don't conmsider a 45º turn, a turn fight whatever you may say.

Nevertheles, be happy, your argument is won with great insight.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

If you have enough practice with the FW190, you can do anything you want in it. I do agree that the FW190 is best when used to hit and run, but just about anything is if you want to stay alive. "Dogfighting" is a lot of fun in a flight sim, but in WWII smart pilots that came home certainly went for a quick and easy kill every time it was possible.

There is a guy that flies the FW190 under a few different names on HL, one of them is Karl Gustav, and I am pretty sure he could walk through 90+% of the IL2 Community on realistic settings no matter what the airspeed of the fight.

I always did very well in the FW190 but I never got into any sort of fight unless I was bounced, my main tactic was to keep it fast and straight and plan an attack that would keep me hidden until my guns were firing, then I had an exit strategy planned ahead too.

The best IL2 pilots were able to be the best and get the job done in every patch with what they were given. The way the aircraft flew in a dogfight was the smallest factor in their strategies. Those who have to switch aircraft, who quit, or who have to use hacks or mods to keep their favorite aircraft "fun" are simply not as good.

An IL2 pilot that is smart and experienced is going to shoot you down no matter what aircraft or patch he or you are flying.