Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Approved Member

Default 3D aircombat gaming...

I have been thinking about 3D headsets and 3D LCD screens...

Has anyone got experience with any of these 3D set-ups? Next to the TrackIR 6DOF viewing system actual in game 3D would really add to the immersion (theirs that "magic" word_LOL) factor.

Does anyone have experience with any of the gaming systems out their?

Like this stuff
http://www.edimensional.com/index.ph...c77ee191633406
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM
71st_Mastiff

they work ok, but you cant get used to them real fast, and some times they dont work.

they also pull your FPS way down.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

I have been looking at and wondering about the Vuzix - VR920 Head Mounted Display [VUZ-100]

http://www.edimensional.com/product_...c77ee191633406

It is listed on the page linked to at the top of the thread. The thing that gives me pause, is that they say it has 2 lcd screens in the goggles, each with high-resolution 640x480 (920,000 pixels) LCD displays. They say that is equivalent to a 62" screen viewed at 9 feet. That's all fine and good, but i wanna run my games in higher res that 620x480! I need my landgeom=3!!!

I will watch this thread for anyone who has actually used a set of these. (Not the 3-d glasses but the actual head-mounded displays like the Vuzix VR920)

Last edited by Lodestone; 09-22-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add hyperlink
Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM
71st_Mastiff

have ya'll seen these?

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.h...=SimHQSwitchAd

I wonder if they are going to let this work in SOW?
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 09-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF_Mastiff View Post
have ya'll seen these?

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.h...=SimHQSwitchAd

I wonder if they are going to let this work in SOW?

Its not really a "3D" gaming device...but its pretty cool anyway.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with "BoB SoW"...it should work with "IL2 1946" (right?), their just assignable switches (right?)...
Old 09-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestone View Post
I have been looking at and wondering about the Vuzix - VR920 Head Mounted Display [VUZ-100]
I will watch this thread for anyone who has actually used a set of these. (Not the 3-d glasses but the actual head-mounded displays like the Vuzix VR920)
I have a set..and they do not work that well.
The optics are.. well limited. I can pull my PC LCD screen closer and get better results.
The sensors.. Well these guys are (were) amateurs in the development game.
They did a lot of things I would never have done with regard to the 3D sensors that determine your head position. There are (were) a multitude of better sensors out there. They either did not do their homework or they were trying the cheapy route, which in my case and many others..failed.

To sum up.. it's another case of 'Bill using his customers to find the faults'.
This was my case 9-12 months ago, and I still have not heard any revelations yet.. so I make no further comment.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Freddie(Twin) View Post
The optics are.. well limited. I can pull my PC LCD screen closer and get better results.
They did a lot of things I would never have done with regard to the 3D sensors that determine your head position. There are (were) a multitude of better sensors out there. They either did not do their homework or they were trying the cheapy route, which in my case and many others..failed.

This was my case 9-12 months ago, and I still have not heard any revelations yet.. so I make no further comment.
I wonder if their would be any way to use TrackIR (w/6DOF) with the "VR920 Head Mounted Display"?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Freddie(Twin) View Post

Thanks for the earnest review Freddie. I will be waiting until the next generation of products then. Cheers!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
I wonder if their would be any way to use TrackIR (w/6DOF) with the "VR920 Head Mounted Display"?
The sensors determine your head orientation in 'strong' magnetic fields, but cannot give accurate head positions in 3D space, so the answer would be NO to 6DOF.
Although it's possible to simulate 6DOF with the current sensors, it will become noticable that your 'head' is not going places that you would like it too...

TIR, the last time I looked, nearly the same pricincple, except this time it's visual (via the IR image sensor). It would require a bit of fudging software that links the 2 products. This will probably have to be cooked up by a neutral party.

I'd wait for some proper 6DOf stuff in a single package.

Last edited by K_Freddie; 10-02-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

I bought a set of the VR920's with high hopes, but realistic expectations. I tried them with and without Track IR. If you don't use the built in feature on the goggles, and use Track IR instead, everything works fine. I used 6DOF on FSX while flying helicopters, and it was pretty cool to say the least as far as being able to look around and sense movement and such.

The thing I couldn't overcome was the feeling that the view was too far away from my face. Honestly, I couldn't read a single gauge in the cockpit. I tried IL2, but without icons, enemy aircraft dots in the distance were impossible to see.

I ended up sending them back, and they gave me a full refund. Nice idea, but needs some work.