Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Default Tracks not showing what really happened?

I've been searching all over google since last night about this, and haven't found anything so I thought I'd make an account here and ask whats up.

So, last night I did a singleplayer quick fight against a single AI plane, I shot him down, thought it was cool looking and saved the track... That's where things get goofy.

RIGHT after I finished the flight, I watched the track to gloat to myself (I can't be the only one that does this ) and that's when I saw something. The recording didn't show me shoot down the plane at all. It showed me doing all the maneuvers that I know I did, but with the enemy plane on my tail while I was shooting at thin air. After the part where I watched the plane hit the ground when actually playing, the recording showed the other plane just flying away towards its airport. Why and how does this happen? Is there something wrong with my game or does it happen more?

Been loving this simulator to bits, and glad to finally be apart of the community here. Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Approved Member

Was this a TRK file saved at the end of the fight or a NTRK file with recording turned on before the fight started? TRK is basically useless at this point but NTRK is still very valuable - some players have said NTRK isn't working for them either but I've had zero problems with it.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Was this a TRK file saved at the end of the fight or a NTRK file with recording turned on before the fight started? TRK is basically useless at this point but NTRK is still very valuable - some players have said NTRK isn't working for them either but I've had zero problems with it.
+1

Use NTRK's (will need to map a key and remember to start recording), TRK's that you save at the end of your flight are really screwy these days.

even NTRK's will go wonky after a long time, if you're recording a long flight, best to do it in 10 min segments.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Approved Member

Hmmm so that's it.. I have a button on my stick for quick record too. I had some choice Pony fights that I wanted to use to show how effective the 50s are offline. I recorded at the end.. played them back .. and I'm firing at empty space.. I hope that gets fixed. The track recording is a great feature of IL2.. and for me.. it was another one of those OMG moments way back when..
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

That's strange. Also shortly after I posted this I watched the same .trk without manual time comp. and made it so it was the original camera views and it showed everything correctly. Thanks everyone
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Approved Member

Default At the risk of hijacking the thread..

but it's is more or less related. Playing back a TRK file and you go into 'no cockpit view'(ctrl + 1) there are 'guages' that show TAS, altitude and g-forces. If you do the same with a Ntrak file the 'g-force guage' doesn't work.
Anyone no why?

/Stig
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

trk files aren't a recording of the flight, they are a recording of the input. So you replay the input, everything else gets recalculated. Including g forces. But the downside is if something is just a millisecond off early on in the track, the whole track goes wild. Reasons for a millisecond difference can be a change of views or some caching when the missions starts. Usually, when I fire up il-2 and go watching tracks first thing, the track plays differently playing it first time then it does playing it the second or third time.

ntrk files are an actual recording, essentially they record everything that's also sent via network in multiplayer games. Apparently, the g load is not transmitted and also not recorded. The format is more stable in the long run, but not quite as smooth as trk. You may occasionally see aircraft warping, which never happens with trks.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Approved Member

Another point is that if you use time compression anywhere, in flight or in replay, its often enough to drop sync between inputs and action on screen... If you avoid time compression, it should be fine. Another thing is, that anytime you change any mods due to the above (it records inputs, not the whole thing), it will throw off timing more times than not. With that understanding, tracks work fine for me.