Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Approved Member

Default Spitfire Aileron Bug - Plz check!

Hi friends,

I noticed a bug in Spitfire aileron long time ago and had discussed with pilots from my squadron, all confirmed.

I feel the Spitfire flying with a significant "side slip", even if trimmed it doesnt flight straigh (dont consider wind...).

When we are on land, both ailerons are at neutral positions, but after takeoff the ailerons move a little, rolling do right side.
We can notice that looking to right wing aileron, who will be a "little up".

Tested what this can affect the flight: with fuel cock off and prop pitch set to 0 (no torque) the plane keeps rolling right!

The image below shows the bug.

Please check this and, if comfirmed, let's report this bug to be fixed!

Thx,

=AN=Bluesman
Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Approved Member

Rudder trim?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Approved Member

where is the bug again? I didn't understand this... :-/
Old 08-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Approved Member

Aileron deflection is probably the effect of trimmer at higher speed. The higher the speed, the more deflection aileron should get. Aircrafts are pre-trimmed at spawn AFAIK.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Approved Member

I've seen this too, but just assumed it was the pre-set trim and the instability of the Spitfire flight dynamics.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Approved Member

Question

Hi,

Sorry about my bad english... its hard to understand!

But Spitfire dont have aileron trim, only rudder and elevator...
Im not expert, but I think if it was a "pre trim" it could be verified on land.

This "bug" is not velocity dependent, it occurs when u leave ground.
If we set all trims to neutral, engine off and prop pitch 0 the aircraft rolls to right. When I compensate the aileron with joystick, forcing to a "neutral" position, the plane flight straight how desirable.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

@ Bluesman - Because the Spit aileron trim is set on the ground, it's only perfect for a specific flight speed and throttle setting.

A combination of rudder trim and throttle setting will reduce the effect to a minimum, although it shouldn't really be possible to fly the Spit totally 'hands off' for any great length of time.

You'll also notice that in a fast dive, the rudder trim goes way off in the slip indicator, needing a lot of re-trimming on the way down, although I find it easier to just press the pedals.

I certainly wouldn't call this a bug, more of a flight characteristic.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

Spitfire II Pilot's Notes on diving: (http://www.scribd.com/doc/4598146/Pi...lin-XII-Engine)

Quote:
DIVING
21. The Maximum permissible diving speed is 450 m.p.h. A.S.I.
Note the following:

(iii) The aeroplane should be trimmed in the dive, i.e. the trimming tab control should be set to give no load on the elevator. This will lessen the possibility of excessive "g" being induced in easing out of the dive particularly if the pilot should ease his hold on the stick owing to "blacking out" or any other reasons. No difficulty in easing out of the dive will be experienced even if the aircraft is trimmed in the dive as the elevator control is comparatively light and recovery from the dive is not resisted by excessive stability in pitch. Elevator tabs may be used, very carefully, as in para. 14.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtyphoon View Post
Spitfire II Pilot's Notes on diving: (http://www.scribd.com/doc/4598146/Pi...lin-XII-Engine)
Has anyone been able to dive the Spitfire (any Mark) faster than 420 mph ASI without losing the control surfaces?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

Thx for replies!

So:

1. The difference between ailerons "on ground" and "in air", the displacement forcing a right roll is normal?

2. Consider rudder trimmed to center side slip, we still expect a little instability (eg. glissade) according to Spitfire flight caracteristics?

PS: We have other aircrafts in CoD that are not affected by this eg. Tiger Moth. In IL2 1946 we dont have this effect too...

Thx,

=AN=Bluesman