Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Approved Member

Default Quad-core upgrade

Hi,
Recently came into the knowledge that my computer supports these quad-core processors:

Dell part HU585 Q6600, 2.40GHz
Dell part MP626 Q6600, 2.40GHz

Is it worth upgrading to these and if so, would it make Il-2: CoD run faster/better?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut110 View Post
Hi,
Recently came into the knowledge that my computer supports these quad-core processors:

Dell part HU585 Q6600, 2.40GHz
Dell part MP626 Q6600, 2.40GHz

Is it worth upgrading to these and if so, would it make Il-2: CoD run faster/better?

Good lord, those are poor (and fairly cheap, I can't even find them on the tech store website I use anymore) quad cores. I'm looking to upgrade from a q8400 to an i7 some time soon, as the q8400 runs the game well but with nasty stutters.

Honestly if you have just a little money you should get a new 60 buck motherboard and an i3/i5.

EDIT: Haha, I saw your other thread about graphics cards. Eek, you are in a bad spot indeed! If and/or when I do upgrade I'd be willing to send you my old CPU and motherboard if you want it. Are you running DDR2 ram?

Last edited by SQB; 06-20-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Approved Member

Hi all,
sincerely, since CloD release in april 2011, I was tempted to upgrade my rig based on q6600. But the experience of others claiming CloD unplayable even with more powerfull cpu made me reluctant to spend my money. That said, the choice of upgrade my video card was a real boost for the performances.
I have to say that since day one I never suffered CTD, yes..some stutters but generally I was ever capable to enjoy the game even with medium-high settings, grass on, shadows on etc. So, upgrading to an old q6600 cpu would be worth if u are prone to overclock and invest in a valid graphic solution. Considering that CloD should be tuned within few months, (increasing the performance) I'll wait further. I'm with who says that spending 40-50$/€ more u can switch to a more modern cpu, but if u change completely system u have to invest in a new MB, Cpu, ram, new power supply, maybe a new case etc.etc. A dated cpu would be a bridge solution and it will worth, imaho, for a maximum expense of 100/130 € (I found some q6600 used for 70/80€). The pre-conditions are that u have at least 4 GB of ram and an 64bit OS.
Cheers

Last edited by pupaxx; 06-20-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

RIG SPECCCCCCCCCCS
Sorry, just got my nice little pc running. Runs like a dream, just installed Il-2 1946, had some fun. Somehow, the specs blew me away and are utterly better than I last though, here goes:
Vista Business edition
Intel Quad Core @ 2.4Ghz (already installed so no purchase for me )
8 GB RAM
14GB Paging file (what's this?)
Nvidia Gefor..blahblahblbhlah (You know about this already, gonna replace it etc)

What i'd like to focus on is the 8GB Ram which really threw me back. How could this motherboard achieve this? Unless.. It's a different motherboard, but how would that explain the Q6600 (guessing) quad core? Maybe the previous owner could be bothered with more RAM (motherboard) but the same processor? If that's so, that means that new motherboard could support different processors so... this is gonna be interesting...veeeeerrry interesting...