Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

It's not the 109's FM, it's still the stupid SPit.

Try to slow turn in your 109 with a Hurri and I swear that if her pilot fly regular game (no AI FM or whatever some are using), it will be a close match.

I am myself flying the Hurri with BOTH HANDS (on the stick) in that situation. Quite a big wew to what the devs managed here to achieve.

IMHO I even have a tendency to think that the 109 FM is a bit surrealistic in turn (what I am use to call "too optimistic")

~S!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

About the overall 109 performance (dive, speed, acceleration etc) on that test you have to account that it was a British test and the 109 captured, probably far away from its original performance and conditions. However some of it fighting qualities and low speed handling were evident. More:

Last edited by Ernst; 05-18-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 AM
Approved Member

I don't disagree with the posting above but it does emphasise the importance of training and experienced. An experienced pilot in the SPitfire will outturn the experienced pilot in an Me109, but an inexperienced pilot in the Spitfire is at serious risk against an experienced 109 pilot.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
About the overall 109 performance (dive, speed, acceleration etc) on that test you have to account that it was a British test and the 109 captured, probably far away from its original performance and conditions. However some of it fighting qualities and low speed handling were evident. More:

The same document is saying that the Spitfire and Hurricane have superior turning at slow speeds and that pilots aren't likely to attempt it because they're worried about the flick stall.

Well, CloD pilots probably are a little more risky with their turns than real life ones, so they're getting that better performance at low speeds.

If the 109 doesn't stall out as bad as the game is modelled (ie, the plane settles out into a slip and the pilot can easily recover by leaving the turn - centering the controls) that doesn't explain some people then saying that the 109 should be able to turn inside the Spit or Hurricane?

I'm confused now.
Pilot #1 (9:40 hours flying time, 3/0/1 Fighters, 7/2/0 Bombers). RIP

No.401 Squadron Forum

Using ReconNZ's Pilot Log Book
Old 05-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Approved Member

My understanding is that the Spitfire should add AoA very smothly, and the maximum turn ratio was anchieved in a progressive way. If the pilot pull too much very fast the spit should stall violently and spin. This is because the 109 can initially outurn the spit, time enough to shot it down before it reaches the maximun turn rate. However acctually in CloD we can see the spits pulling very fast with no prejudice, anyone can pull the spit to its limits with no stall.

The 109 certainly should keep with the spitfire initially in the turn.

Last edited by Ernst; 05-19-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Approved Member

It would make sense with it's thin wing. Pulling fast will result in a stall from too much AoA too fast...