Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Assault Squad

Men of War: Assault Squad Sequel to the critically acclaimed real-time tactics game Men of War

Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenSmiffy View Post
Hi everybody, I have just been reading the post presented by Bliep, and totally concur with the games bugginess. However I been searching for a game of quality of this ilk for some time and I think I have found it. To get to the point I am currently playing MOWAS Normandy skirmish game at normal level with Fog of War enabled. Ihave managed to control the first line of Germen defence but thats as far as I go. The main problems I encounter are the following. My solitary Sherman is easily knocked out, Chaffee tank reinforcements turn out to be One Hit Wonders, and waiting for my MP to refill seems to take an age and leaves my side vulnerable to counter attacks. Plus my first wave of troops have now all ran out of ammo "bugger" mI find all that micro management a bit of a pain. Then the German tanks stand off and pound my carefully planned defensive line. I'm open to suggestions. Also while I'm at it, on my version of the game (retail updated to patch 1,97) there are a couple of problems I hope you guys can help solve. 1. My spread out unit command does not work, and 2, My waypoint funtion does not work either. I,m so glad to get that off my chest .Thankyou.
The single best piece of information I can give you it to break all of your squads down into single men, then place everyone individually with sectors of interlocking fire with the MG providing overwatch (think actual infantry FM stuff here). Do that, and you can hold out against most things, put a mortar behind them, in cover, and you have a position.

Also, when you kill someone, loot them, take all of that ammo and those grenades/AT grenades.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Approved Member

The first bit to know about success in this game is getting a steady hang on Direct Control, the AI is pretty ditzy and clueless but if you get a good hand at DC then some of your troubles will melt. It seems like this game was built around Direct Control much in the same way FEAR was built around using SloMo....use it and win, dont and die!

About the tanks:

2: The AI loads different shells based on what targets it sees at the very moment...if it sees infantry first it loads HE if armor, then AP. Yes, its very annoying to load AP in your tank, thinking you havea spot covered only to come back moments later seeing it a burning wreck because it was firing the wrong rounds, ive had my tanks, no shit switch to HE to fire at tanks, my guess is because they are firing at the guy on the top, why they would prioritize the AA MG guy is beyond me...

4: Yes, this has been eating my ass in MoW since ive played it, tanks gettting stopped and or destroyed by hitting a rock, flipping and crap. Havent had much trouble getting truly stuck stuck but if you wait a few seconds the vehicle usually lets you move it again. Its annoying for sure.

5: Thatd be a change from MoW because in MoW if your gun barrel was inside something you couldnt fire, had to back up and try again lolz, or else just run down the wall...

6: By cruise you mean they just drive right in front it? Its most likely them following their pathing and your AT is just sitting there at the time...

7: yeah, smoke I dont get either, ive tried it and it seems to only work for crawling infantry otherwise its a friggin waste.....

8: The AI seems to see everything you have because the AI plays with fog of war OFF!!

Infantry:

4: The AI will move somewhat if a vehicle or grenade comes near them, the thing that is annoying is they dont usually go back to their previous state and wind up dead.....

5: The problem here is the weapon your guy has, has a shorter engagement range then the dude shooting him. This is retarded but i found it out awhile ago. Guns have a Max Range and an Aim Range, Aim Range is the distance from which your AI will return fire without YOU Directly giving them an order to do so. Also, Rifles fire further then either SMGs or LMGs in that game, so if your men are being fired at by rifles then they are probably out of range to fire back at all....

6: Yeah, I always found this to be stupid, you men see a single target and just popopopopopopopopopopopppopopopopopopoop until he dies....Yeah, only way to stop that is put your men on Return Fire not Fire At Will. When they do start firing endlessly at something quickly go into DC and get off it they will stop w/e they were doing.

8: Yeah, if they are placed in a spot that looks around corners they will do that as part of their script for that spot. You should just prone them and move them back out of LoF.

9: Yeah, moving squads I always found to be a pain in the ass in this game to. Sometimes they all follow sometimes one goes and the rest lag behind or dont move at all. I find it best to use 3-4 man squads to reduce casualties from AI incompetency such as this.

10: the Sniper Reticule is there to let YOU know your soldier is being aimed at, it isnt a magical beacon to let your man know he is. They will only cover once they recieve fire. Your best bet is to duck him yourself. mapping the 3 stances, standing, crouched and prone to quickly accessible keys.

ive got mine to Page up for Raise Stance, Page Down for lower stance and Spacebar for stand to prone or prone to stand....Trying to get to the little buttons in the corner is a negatory and is never fast enough.

Other WoW:

2: Yeah, showing just why DC is so good to get a handle on, your vehicles do not path to avoid guns or anything, though I think that should be coded in...*hint hint 1c*

3: Only way to make them not change ammo is to keep them back on hold fire mode and when you see a tank move it up and DC it until the target is dead or just pop in and out as the targets present themselves. This game is very micromanagey to the point of holy shit at times but yeah....DCing tanks is like the only way, tank AI is hopelessly lost and will get all your tanks killed before you can even say WTF!?

4: Bazookas....Infantry Anti Tank weapons.....I lol at them, unless they were buffed in this game I dont even bother with them. I think the max range is 35m at which point you cant even hit a house...

General:

1-3 Save and Loading bugs...yeah those are in MoW as well and one such bugged the hell outta me on my custom mission. I would save to record a section of it and then come back and the planes *my objective* were friggin UNDERGROUND!?!?!?! Also some of my men were totally GONE! vanished from existance...yeah save/loading bugs are annoying as hell.....

4: prolly to promote people to use it, this game seems to be built around it...

6: The AI isnt stuck using the Fog of War like we are, I play with it off against the AI because the AI gets enough bonuses, they dont need the biggest one of all....knowledge of enemy unit positions.

Yes, your post made me lol a bit, its amusing to see so many bugs and you said some of them in rather amusing ways.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

haha I laughed a bit, I do agree with some of the things there, wish my people would run from grenade, not duck and go HURR DURR CAPTAIN WHAT DO WE DOOOOS LOLOLOLOL

yea... anyways..