Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Default ram question

Hi,

i recently bought 6GB (3x2) of triple channel ram assuming my MB would be compatible. turns out my MB only supports dual channel ram.

some people have said that two of the sticks will run in dual channel and others have said it will all run in single channel.

id rather avoid the hassle of having to resell it so my question is if i did resell it and buy dual channel ram would i see much of a performance difference and when i say performance i mean lots of fps?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Approved Member

I believe there is no difference in memory.It is a matter of how you motherboard addresses the memory.

If you motherboard only supports dual channel then putting in all 3 will run in single channel mode.However if you just put in 2 sticks it will run in dual channel mode.(provided you have it in the correct slots)

I suspect 4 gigs of 2 channel would be better than 6 gigs of single channel.

Some motherboards support "hybrid" memory addressing.If you install 3 sticks then 2 will run in dual channel and 1 will run in single channel mode.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
Hi,

i recently bought 6GB (3x2) of triple channel ram assuming my MB would be compatible. turns out my MB only supports dual channel ram.

some people have said that two of the sticks will run in dual channel and others have said it will all run in single channel.

id rather avoid the hassle of having to resell it so my question is if i did resell it and buy dual channel ram would i see much of a performance difference and when i say performance i mean lots of fps?
Supposing you have it right that what you have is triple channel ram, dual channel or triple channel is the number of sockets it goes in, triple channel would either have three or six sockets on the motherboard. If you have four sockets, put another 2GB stick in the fourth socket and you'll have eight gigs at dual channel. If you put in the six and leave it at that, you'll probably have 4 gigs at dual channel, and 2 gigs at single channel, but it could be you'll have all six gigs at single channel, which would be slightly slower, probably not much slower, but who knows?

On the other hand, you could be talking about DDR2 vs DDR3, they are not compatible, DDR3 won't fit in DDR2 sockets nor vice versa, in that case send what you have back and get the other.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
On the other hand, you could be talking about DDR2 vs DDR3, they are not compatible, DDR3 won't fit in DDR2 sockets nor vice versa, in that case send what you have back and get the other.
I am afraid he is talking about DDR3 RAM otherwise he would not have gotten three 2Gb pieces at first place...

To answer your initial question Cato: No, there will be no difference in performance: NO lot's of fps more/less.

~S~