Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Approved Member

Default Korsun Pocket Information?

Hey guys,

In preparation for my next historical series, I was wondering if anybody could suggest any good websites, books or other resources detailing any aerial engagements that took place during the Korsun Pocket (Korsun–Shevchenkovsky Offensive)? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

Default Korsun-Shevchenkovsky Operation

Hi RuffMonk,

Although I don't play in arcade mode I felt the need to make small contribution to this topic. I wish the “sim camp” had someone with your enthusiasm. And let me say thank you for letting us know (it was some time ago) about all those extra airfields (was it 7 in total?) on Stalingrad map. Also, thank you for the Eastern Front air battle series by Christer Bergstrom.

Back to the topic at hand. Well, (un)fortunately for us (BoP players) the air power was heavily employed by Soviets at Korsun-Shevchenkovsky operation but was not decisive by any stretch of imagination. Their (Soviet) air power was provided by 2nd and 5th Air Armies and it was poorly integrated into the overall concept of operations. German air support included both tactical aviation and airlift assets and it came from General Seidemann's VIII Air Fleet. Because of the weather and shortage of improved airfields effective use of close air support was limited for both antagonists. Airlift assets were used extensively by the Germans in support of encircled corps. Ground attacks by the The Red Air Force were conducted whenever the weather allowed and numerous night attacks were carried out with individual aircraft. Some sources claim that effect of these attacks were chiefly psychological. Hmm? However, the threat to the German aerial supply operation was a constant danger, forcing the Germans at times to cancel air drops. Germans started the aerial supply operation on January 28th and it lasted until February 17th with occasional disruptions by weather and enemy fighter aircrafts. Korsun-Shevchenkovsky was the main airfield in the pocket and it was the lifeline of the encircled forces. It was supposed to be held at all cost. The Soviets repeatedly tried to shut down the airfield and disrupt the air lift with The Red Air Force. They were successful in that occasionally. In one night mission The Red Air force succeeded in shooting down several Ju-52 transport aircraft loaded with wounded. Fortunately for Germans it is believed that most Soviet air attacks were poorly conceived, haphazardly executed, and were not coordinated with the ground operations.

Perhaps, you can change that in you game scenarios

In summary, the support provided by Soviet tactical aviation during the Korsun-Shevchenkovsky Operation was not very effective. But, The Soviets did learn quickly and during Operation Bagration (Belorussia) Red Air Force ravaged German tank columns by well-executed air attacks. Go Sturmovik!!!

Perhaps you could look for the books written by Professor Emeritus John Erickson. He was (is) unsurpassed by anyone when it comes to the Great Patriotic War – 1941 to 1945. He was moral and intellectual giant!

Please read it for yourself about professor Erickson:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...on-729741.html

http://tinyurl.com/3atafqq
(in case that long link doesn't work)

Good luck with you games and let us know when you switch to sim camp

Take care,

PlaviKit (my PSN)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Approved Member

Hey Aquila chrysaetos,

First let me say thanks for the informative reply! I'll have to do a search for any of Professor Erickson's books and see if any of those can help me out! Second, you are welcome for both the Stalingrad airfields (yes, 7 in total) and the Bergstrom books! The library I borrowed the first 3 Bergstrom books from didn't have the final book and so I'm wondering if it's likely there would be something in there about the Korsun as well. For his Stalingrad and Kursk books, he detailed many of the battles prior to the main topic of both books and so I'm currently in the process of trying to get my hands on a copy of his Bagration book. I've already picked up THE BATTLE FOR THE UKRAINE: The Red Army's Korsun-Shevchenkovskii Offensive, 1944 and the Air War Over Russia, but just on a cursory glance, I don't think either will be as detailed about the aerial engagements as I'd like them to be, but I'm still trying to finish up another WWII book I picked up for my Sicily series.

I've always been a big fan of WWII history especially the aerial warfare, but since I've began doing these historical series, I get almost as much enjoyment from learning about the various battles as I do playing the missions. So it's easy to stay enthusiastic about it especially with such a great group of guys who dedicate their time to participate! Unfortunately, Sim is a little too difficult for my taste and I can't play worth squat in cockpit view (3rd person all the way, lol!), so I doubt I'll ever make the leap to the final level of enlightenment, lol! I am in the process of trying to get together a realistic group so we can re-live The Battle of Britain, The Battle of Stalingrad and the Invasion of Sicly all over again in realistic difficulty, so perhaps you might be able to join us in the middle difficulty, lol?

Anyway, thanks again and perhaps if you or someone in the Sim group ever wanted to organize a historical series, I'd have no problem e-mailing someone the mission set-ups I use so you guys could do them as well! Anyway, take care and thanks again!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Approved Member

I greatly admire your work and enthusiasm Ruff. We had a go in sim last winter, but the ranks get slimmer and slimmer. We need new recruits!

I don't remember who worked out the templates we used to plan some of the missions we did, but if you can dig them up you're of course most welcome to use them if you find them usefull.

God speed on the reading and the planning mate!
[I myself are reading a three vol. (six planned and under development) series on the history of the norwegian spitfire-pilots stationed in England, Scotland and the Orkneys during 41 to 45. Good stuff for a norwegian... And I'm half way through Frankson&Zetterlings "Kursk - Historys greatets tankbattle". There's a few references to the contributions from the IL2's in there, but it's absolutely minimal, but I learned that the Ju87 the germans used there had mounted two 37mm cannons, one under each wing, to destroy russian tanks.]

Last edited by McQ59; 10-12-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Thanks McQ59! I've been fortunate to have such great guys participate in my historicals. As I've done more, I've been lucky enough to pick up more people along the way and so I'm very thankful to those guys!

As for reading, if you're reading up on Kursk, you might want to add Christer Bergstrom's, Kursk: The Air Battle: July 1943. Even though it mainly deals with the aerial engagements, he goes into almost as much detail about the ground battles as well. It'd be a great supplement to the one you're reading as you'd get a good picture of how both Air Forces influenced the battles as well! One of the biggest air battles in history takes place during the Battle of Kursk and it's all detailed in Bergstrom's book!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Approved Member

Brilliant Ruff. I'll deff check it out