Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Approved Member

Love this stuff.. thank you!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Approved Member

excellent job
thanks for the video
now that is a worth to see again...

Last edited by skouras; 10-11-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Approved Member

Great info and read, many thanks

Chris

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/index.php

Gigabyte z77-d3h, Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (OC 4.2GHz), Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 24GB DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit , Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB, Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W '80 Plus Silver' PSU,
GTX580 3gb OC
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
Thanks for posting these biltongbru. I do have a question for Mr. Finney regarding the Hurricane Mk.I and Mk.II startup. My questions is this;

Before you started the engine of the Hurricane Mk.I, did you have to switch the fuel tank selector switch to the reserve (gravity) tank or was it possible to start the engine on the main tank? In the pilot notes and the Ferry Pilot notes, it states that the Hurricane Mk.I had to be started on the reserve tank whereas the Hurricane Mk.II could be started on the main tank. Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to ask a Hurricane pilot if this was the case.

Many thanks.
Looking at the ATA notes from 'Flying Wartime Aircraft' as I type this, looking at the Hurricane section for the MkI, it states;

The use for tanks on take-off are as follows:

1. If all tanks are full take off on MAINS.
2. If MAINS are less than half full and RESERVE is more than half full take-off on RESERVE.
3. If all tanks are less than half full, the aircraft is not in a fit condition to take-off.

Run-up must always be made on the tank to be used for take-off: use the other tank for starting and warming up.

It goes on to say, during PREPERATION FOR FLIGHT;

5. Check fuel contents. When tanks are full turn on RESERVE for starting and warming up.

Then later just prior to the run up;

In the normal case when tanks are full and the start has been made on Reserve, CHANGE OVER TO MAIN TANKS just before the run up.

Hope that helps mate.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Approved Member

Just watched all of these today...totally awesome champ!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
kalimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by biltongbru View Post
Hi

I met a ww2 fighter pilot, Stewart "Bomb" Finney, who flew Hurricanes and Spitfires in North Africa 1941-1942 with SAAF 1 Squadron. His memory is excellent and I interviewed him on camera. To make the interviews interesting I added some IL-2 animation, including bits of CoD.

Here an example: (5 minutes) Thanks to Cheruskerarmin for the SAAF hurricane skins, they look awesome! Used the great maps from Redko and dirt runway dust mod from Exhaton and Soccorrista, thanks again!

Mr. Finney has a heap of war time photographs. I made a web site to present the photographs, videos and other interesting and relevant stuff including his log book:

http://www.bombfinney.com/

Any questions to Mr. Finney are welcome as I see him often.
Very nice job, and very toutching to see a real WW2 hero .
I have noticed that he talks about ' blue and red Ping Pong balls' when he describes what he saw as bullets and tracers passed him. That is very interesting regarding the whole tracer debate....If you have the chance to ask him if he remembers how firing tracers from his plane looked like, I think this could add to our knowledge data bank...

Thanks and very very good quality ' production' !

SAlute !
Old 10-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimba View Post
That is very interesting regarding the whole tracer debate....If you have the chance to ask him if he remembers how firing tracers from his plane looked like, I think this could add to our knowledge data bank...

Thanks and very very good quality ' production' !

SAlute !
Thanks and I will ask him when I see him again in about 2 weeks time
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Approved Member

Thanks Trooper and Tinus. I wanted confirmation from an actual Hurricane pilot that he had to start the Hurri Mk.I on reserve (gravity) as opposed to main (which you can do in game and in the Mk.II). I must try and get hold of that book Trooper, my birthday is coming up so it's the perfect pressie I think!

http://www.tangmerepilots.co.uk/

Last edited by Moggy; 10-12-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
Thanks Trooper and Tinus. I wanted confirmation from an actual Hurricane pilot that he had to start the Hurri Mk.I on reserve (gravity) as opposed to main (which you can do in game and in the Mk.II). I must try and get hold of that book Trooper, my birthday is coming up so it's the perfect pressie I think!
'Flying Wartime Aircraft' covers handling notes for only 7 planes Moggy, just in case you didn't know.
  1. Hawker Hurricane
  2. Bell Airacobra
  3. Hawker Typhoon
  4. de Havilland Mosquito
  5. Bristol Beaufighter
  6. Vickers Wellington
  7. Consolidated Liberator

The Hurricane section covers the MkI, II, & IV; Sea Hurricanes I & II
Old 10-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper117 View Post
'Flying Wartime Aircraft' covers handling notes for only 7 planes Moggy, just in case you didn't know.
  1. Hawker Hurricane
  2. Bell Airacobra
  3. Hawker Typhoon
  4. de Havilland Mosquito
  5. Bristol Beaufighter
  6. Vickers Wellington
  7. Consolidated Liberator

The Hurricane section covers the MkI, II, & IV; Sea Hurricanes I & II
I didn't know the book only covered 7 types of aircraft Trooper. I've just re-read my ferry pilot notes and it seems they were taken (in part) from the 'Flying Wartime Aircraft' book.

http://www.tangmerepilots.co.uk/