Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Default Spitfire power

Gday
Just got up to where you fly the spitfire in the campaign and for some reason I cant get much power out of it. When the AI flies it , the Spit hums along but when I take over the power reduces and pressing W for emergency power doesn't work nor does adjusting the throttle on my joy.

Is there a separate throttle for it ?? (by the way I fly it on easy mode ).

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Approved Member

The simplified mode is just the AI working like a secondary pilot for you and setting things so you don't have to. This has the side effect that they switch to coarse pitch/low RPM as soon as you are done taking off and stay there for the duration of the mission, which is like driving a car on 5th/6th gear all the time.

A temporary workaround is to set a couple of keys to change the prop pitch in your controls options and enable the complex engine management to do it manually. You can still keep the temperature effects disabled so you don't get too much on your plate.

If you do this, then you can manually change the prop pitch: whenever you are getting slow change to fine pitch/high RPM and then as you pick up speed switch back to coarse pitch/low RPM to get even more speed out of it.

It's like driving a gar with two gears: fine pitch is like the low gear, for starting up and getting some "oomph" when you are going slow, but when you pick up some speed you switch from low to high gear (setting pitch to coarse) to reach your top speed.

This happens on both of the Mk.I spitfires, the Mk.Ia 3d model is rendered as if having a constant speed propeller (distinguishable by the spinner shape) which the AI is better at managing for you on easy settings but it's bugged and functions like a two-stage prop similar to the Mk.I. The Mk.II Spit has a constant speed prop.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks mate I will try that
Old 06-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Approved Member

Thanks i was wonding the same .. i had bombers flipping me the bird flying by .. i might of had my left turn signal on : )
Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Approved Member

Does anyone know if the Spitfires and/or Hurricanes were modeled with 87 or 100 octane fuel?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Thanks i was wonding the same .. i had bombers flipping me the bird flying by .. i might of had my left turn signal on : )
~S~

LMAO

Glad I found this thread to why I was having the same problem.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Default Spit still seems ponderous!

Hi all, my first post since starting on this amazing sim a week or so ago.

Having also had the same problem of the Spit 1 seeming a bit, well, pedestrian, I enabled CEM but with auto engine temps and restarted the single layer campaign.

The Hurricane is definitely better, and in level flight at or around sea level I can easily get about 260 KIAS out of her.

The Spit 1 however, though it will nudge that speed eventually, just seems to take forever to accelerate. I need to pull the RPM back (there only seem to be 2 settings for the Mk1) to get much above 200KIAS, but then it is REALLY slow to accelerate compared to the Hurricane. Is this correct? I thought the spit was supposed to have way superior performance to the Hurricane?

Thanks for any ideas anyone has.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Approved Member

Thanks alot for this explanations of this constantly reoccurring issue