Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:24 AM
Approved Member

Default Full Realistic Tutorial for All flyable planes.

Hey guys, as I am a novice to CloD but not IL2 have some difficulty to fly all plane and it takes huge amount of time to learn each.

So I thought why there are not systematic video tutorials form the communitity and put it on Sticker here. Those video youtube possible tutorial would be awesome as the speaker explains everything from key assignment recommendation to all functions of the tools inside the cockpit and use of all weapons.
This is just my wish
any comments are welcome
Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

good idea.some vids already exist which explain how to start up the plane...but they are widespread in the forum and the internet.a sticky thread with all those vids collected would be a good idea.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Approved Member

Good idea.

Only issue is that they still need to fix the functions on some of the planes so we can learn how to use them properly in flight.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Approved Member

What Charvel said.

Currently there are aircraft that are almost impossible to fly even if you understand their control layout and sequence of operation.

The Blenheim comes to mind, as does the Fiat G 50.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabetheace View Post
Hey guys, as I am a novice to CloD but not IL2 have some difficulty to fly all plane and it takes huge amount of time to learn each.

So I thought why there are not systematic video tutorials form the communitity and put it on Sticker here. Those video youtube possible tutorial would be awesome as the speaker explains everything from key assignment recommendation to all functions of the tools inside the cockpit and use of all weapons.
This is just my wish
any comments are welcome
Excellent idea. I know some of them but it's a lot of guesswork and expensive merlins and db:s that have been blown in the learning process

Mazex
Old 09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Approved Member

I think going by Flea's checklists (which is a sticky thread) is what's mostly needed.

While it's true that sometimes there's a mismatch between real-world manuals/procedures and the flyables we have in the sim, for the most part the published checklists work fine.

The only notable exception is the Blenheim but there's a dedicated thread for that in the gameplay section covering pretty much everything. In short, you can follow the manual for that too as long as you don't go over +4 PSI boost or 220C cylinder head temperatures (whichever comes first).

I think the only flyables we are really in the dark about are the G.50 and Br.20 because we haven't seen an English language manual for them yet.

Other than that getting Flea's checklists, reading the sticky FAQ and browsing through the Blenheim thread, one has everything they need to know to fly the majority of aircraft in the sim.

Video tutorials are nice but due to the complexity involved it's a pretty big task to do them well and cover all possible scenarios: people stick to text because it's faster to type a paragraph about what makes an engine break, rather than
1) make a custom mission in the FMB
2) fly it
3) record it
4) do the necessary video editing (file compression, voice-overs)
5) upload to youtube

and it pretty much gives the same amount of information. Mind you, that's just for one part of the tutorial, the same thing would have to be done for more than a few different video clips showcasing other parts of the aircraft behaviour, before stitching them all together in a single tutorial video.

Don't get me wrong, it would be a wonderful resource but i can understand the reluctance to pick up such an undertaking. I've thought about doing a couple for a while and quickly gave up on the idea due to the amount of time it would involve. That is, if i wanted to do it right and come up with something that would substitute most of the written documentation (community-made or otherwise).

Then there's another issue as well: updating text documentation is much easier when things get corrected in patches, for video tutorials it would be a case of redoing significant parts of it all over again and mixing them in with the previous version of the video. It doesn't make sense to do them until certain features in the sim get finalized, unless someone is prepared to spend a great amount of time on them over the course of several months. It's almost bordering on a full-time job
Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Approved Member

This is a start for some of the german aircraft at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.