Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
guys, I haven't played with Falcon 4 for years.. how does it compare with Flaming Cliffs or the latest A-10 sim?
Much more realistic than Flaming cliffs, A LOT more indepth in avionics simulations etc. Very good dynamic campaign and AI. About same level as A-10C i think on advancedness of systems. The latest BMS is a leap ahead of original falcon. Completely new flightmodel too! Very true to life.

And LUD:

As for the aerial refueling in particular it works VERY well! Better than any other sim. You request tanker on the radio and if you're further away than 10nm the AWACS will give you the tankers TACAN channel, bearing and distance. You plot the tankers TACAN channel (92Y) and subtract 63 which is (92Y - 63 = 29Y) to lock up the tanker and start approaching it. Once within 10nm you call him up again to request fuel and he'll clear you to pre-contact. Once you've stabilized behind him you will be cleared to contact and the lights underneath the belly of the tanker will start guiding you (forward/aft and Up/down). You HAVE to sit just at the right spot within the limits of the refuel boom and the boom operator will guide it into the air-refueling receptacle. Once there, you still have to fly your plane in perfect position (unlike many other sims for instance Lock on, where you are "clamped" or attached to the fueler and pretty much sit there with no effort) and maintain position until you are done. Once the F-16's fuel tanks are full it sends a disconnect signal to the refueling boom and the process is ended. Once you are clear you call the tanker and state that you are "done refueling" and the next plane in line is automatically cleared to contact (IF he is in the "quickflow" area) or he will be cleared to pre-contact which is to approach the tanker from the rear again!. All works well online, the other players can monitor the entire process and even read the lights on the belly while their wingman is tanking Nice feature!

The game behaves very well for us 4 guys with full IVC comms at a bandwidth setting of 700. We tried 400 too and that was fine aswell!! At the moment we are flying occasionally to train ourselves at everything from takeoffs and landings to IDM datalink sharing and Aerial refueling (almost every day) and we are currently using a dedicated IVC comms server but at the moment I am hosting the game server. It has worked quite well, for the exception of a very few game freezes (alt+tab in and out and the game keeps running ?!? no client disconnects or strange lag while I alt+tab.. strange...)

The revamped version of Falcon from BMS is truly a gem in simming, and the best part is it runs very smooth Most graphics are OK, some of the new effects add a lot to the atmosphere such as dynamic shadows, HDR, motion blur and raindrop effects

But this sim has become a much better representation of the F-16 flightmodel. The F-18 and Mirage 2000 also are flyable with their own cockpits The game also includes training scripts (that you can run on every Tactical Engagement mission) that pauses the sim and directs you to the buttons and switches with text to explain what they are, how they work and how to use them I'd recommend any sim head with a hotas setup to try this one out! And if you like, come join in on one of our training sessions if you like. I can edit the mission to incorporate more flights, target areas and tamper with weather and time of day The mission editor is a handfull, but I'm getting the hang of it as I play with it.

Last edited by Strike; 09-14-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
Hi again!

Me and 3 friends from work have started practicing flying this sim, and I gotta hand it to the BMS team - WELL DONE! It's a very very good representation of the real thing (having tried the real F-16 sim). The aerial refueling bit was the next thing on the to-try list yesterday so here are some shots :

Cleared to contact:

And thank you farewell tanker :
I used to fly this years ago and refueling was by far the hardest thing in game to do. And the learning curve to operate the weapons systems is huge, if your not commited to spend hours on end learning all the systems and sub sytems dont bother. BUt when you learn everything its a blast online with humans as your wingmen.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
BUt when you learn everything its a blast online with humans as your wingmen.
Dude, I work with F-16's so there's my commitment and learning the stuff is very rewarding! It's going to be weeks until we learn all the systems and all the different subsystems and modes (although it helps in heaps seeing that I can read the manuals at work), then how to use proper tactics before we can finally start pulling off some realistic missions with good results! At the moment we have a mission we test-run with a few ships, a few ground targets and a few aerial targets + AWACS and a tanker so we can just mess around and do whatever we like. Config is multirole 4x Gbu12 2x AIM-2000 (iris-T) and 2x AIM-120B AMRAAMs + the Advanced Targeting Pod The training possibilities are endless
Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

And LUD: [...]
Gold report mate. And all this time I thought your 338th markings were from real life, but I realize now seeing that beautiful skins that you belong or belonged to the mighty virtual 338th too. I was trained there too!! (but excuse my memory lad, I can't for the life of me remember if we've flown together). Maybe different moments.. I quit about the same time Slammer, the former CO left, and also Naldo had his baby and RL stuff got him grounded for a while. BTW I know Naldo is part of the BMS, but do you know if Slammer is still around? And how can I find you online for that sessions?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Approved Member

Anybody know how to make the GUI sit in the middle of the screen? I don't know why but every incarnation of the Falcon game has messed up menus for me.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUD View Post
Gold report mate. And all this time I thought your 338th markings were from real life, but I realize now seeing that beautiful skins that you belong or belonged to the mighty virtual 338th too.
Hehe, well.... I DO work at the REAL squadron, and have never played with a 338 squadron virtually. We just happen to fly for the RNoAF because we all live in Norway So forgive me if I don't understand everything you're talking about. If you do however want to tag along just to test it online (we're currently FNG's pretty much so we're just training to learn to work the aircraft properly) you're more than welcome. I could PM you with the necessary info if you like!

@Bongodriver:

I don't know why, but the falcon GUI has ALWAYS been a mess, even the devs said so. It's virtually impossible to tamper with it. But whenever you get past the GUI and into the 1080p game, boy it looks good!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Approved Member

i really enjoy the sim as a veteran of OF
excellent physics and FM [The best by far]
heres a video showing some features on the model
http://vimeo.com/28560984

Last edited by skouras; 09-14-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hehe, well.... I DO work at the REAL squadron, and have never played with a 338 squadron virtually. We just happen to fly for the RNoAF because we all live in Norway So forgive me if I don't understand everything you're talking about. If you do however want to tag along just to test it online (we're currently FNG's pretty much so we're just training to learn to work the aircraft properly) you're more than welcome. I could PM you with the necessary info if you like!
Ok undestood, the skins you are using in the F-16 in your screens made me thought you were in the virtual 338th (I knew you were in the real for sure for some of your past posts). Lucky guy

Yes please pm me.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Approved Member

!