Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Good idea BD and we need something like that but why would a veteran's engine warm up faster than a rookies? Does he carry a blow torch?
Not really, he can just do an accelerated warm up without breaking the engine

If you notice, i also gave them some "wiggle room" in the amount of time needed but once again, more experienced AI would be more consistent to reflect the fact that an experienced pilot could get to the engine's limits of what was possible within realistic terms.

So, if the default warm up time for a particular aircraft with a rookie AI behind the controls was 2 minutes, there would be smarter rookie AI pilots getting it done in 1min 30seconds and there would be worse rookie AI pilots getting it done in 2 min 30 seconds.

They wouldn't actually be smarter, they would just appear that way using that little trick with the randomized percentages, so this can give some realistic randomness and non-uniformity without once again costing CPU cycles

In a similar fashion, if an ace AI pilot would have a default warm-up time of 30 seconds, the "smarter" ones would do it in 20 seconds and the "dumber" ones in 40 seconds: they are ace pilots after all so they shouldn't be too late even if they are having a bad day, but they wouldn't be able to exceed what the engine was capable of either, so they get a smaller "range of randomness" than the lower level AI.

As for how to do an accelerated warm-up, it's pretty simple especially on fuel injected aircraft like the 109. I've managed to get it up and running within seconds and take off right after the AI leaders (CEM and temp effects enabled in the realism settings).

You just turn the engine on, hold the brakes, close the rads and advance the throttle until the engine starts "complaining" (the shaking effect), then back off a little. Once you see the temps rise a bit advance throttle a bit more until you get shaking again and back off a bit once more.

As long as you keep an eye on your temp gauges and oil pressure, you can warm-up the engine really fast without causing damage. If temps start getting too high just open the rads and pull the throttle back a bit, if oil pressure is rising too much just back off on the throttle a bit. Before long you'll be at the proper operating temperatures, so you can now open the rads fully, release brakes, go throttle wide open and take off.

I also do this in the Blenheim because it takes ages for the radials to warm up if they are simply left idling, but it takes a lot more care and attention to prevent breaking anything.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Approved Member

Point taken BD, I do leave my Hurri rad closed until it gets to 60C and I do run the engine tickover as fast as it will tolerate.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 07-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Approved Member

hi guys and gals.
i have some more bugs for you .. 1 real anoying 1 is i cant load a online english channel map because the game crashes sometimes it makes it to the lobby most times it crashes when i am loading the mission.. it loads ok on single player though. also im getting black patches on maps like hills have dissapeared the houses float mid air. and u just explode hitting nothing. seems like some higher levels of ground are disapearing . and u crash into them..

also can we have our nav lights and landing lights back.. night missions are hard without them.. thanks guys,,
S!!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Approved Member

It would be great if you post your system-specs with your bug-report, maybe they are related.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

hi
sorry it took me. work stuff im affraid. just locks up then i get launcher.exe stopped responding. i have set to run as admin . also tried compatilbilty settings. and checked steam to make sure files are in sync. there was 2 files wrong but they have been fixed. i am still having the problems though.

heres my system specs
intel core 2 quad @ 2.40 ghz
pc2-5300 = 3072 ram
geforce 450 gts 1024 ram

i just found this
Fault bucket 2556337664, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Launcher.exe_Launcher
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 4d6e3d08
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 6.1.7601.17651
P6: 4e2111c0
P7: e0434352
P8: 0000d36f
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3EF3.tmp.WE RInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\W ER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Launcher.exe_Lau_75d2fd6 a71265435f18532ed4c3c672365d28b_0885f8d0

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 0a2ec6df-c4fe-11e0-ab5c-001ec936300b
Report Status: 0

I Found my problem listed further down the error report.. i ran out off memory.

Application: Launcher.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.OutOfMemoryException Stack: at MS.Internal.WindowsBase.SafeSecurityHelper.Cleanup CollectedAssemblies(System.Object) at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCal lback_Context(System.Object) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threa ding.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System. Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem() at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch() at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWa itCallback()

Last edited by 131st_Impact; 08-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Approved Member

S!
Sorry guys i was wrong. my problem is not being low on ram. i went out and purchased another 2 gig and still no luck. same problem..
Old 08-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131st_Impact View Post
S!
Sorry guys i was wrong. my problem is not being low on ram. i went out and purchased another 2 gig and still no luck. same problem..
Can i have your old one?

Sometimes the game will do this to me ever so often when trying to load a map. After a couple tries it usually will work after restarting the game. Maybe try clearing the cache files.

in this spot: C:\Users\(user name)\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\cache