Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Approved Member

i have vsync on, and triple buffering off, and i dont get my fps halved.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Approved Member

I tried the 11.6 drivers and my performance plummeted through the floor. I know my sig still says 11.6 but I've gone back to 11.5, where the performance was good.
With the 11.6 drivers, I was getting just over 20 fps average in the Black Death track, which is a little less than half of the normal. (High setting, for consistency.)

So yes, for me the 11.6 drivers are terrible.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Approved Member

It would seem that triple buffering causes more problems than it is worth.

1. If it is not properly supported by the game in question, it can cause visual glitches. Just as tearing is a visual glitch caused by information being transferred too fast in the buffers for the monitor to keep up, so too in theory, can triple buffering cause visual anomalies, due to game timing issues for example.

2. It uses additional Video RAM, and hence can result in problems for those with less VRAM onboard their graphics card. This is particularly true for people who also want to use very high resolutions with high quality textures and additional effects like Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering, since this takes up even more VRAM for each frame. Enabling Triple Buffering on a card without sufficient VRAM results in things like additional hitching (slight pauses) when new textures are being swapped into and out of VRAM as you move into new areas of a game. You may even get an overall performance drop due to the extra processing on the graphics card for the extra Tertiary buffer.

3. It can introduce control lag. This manifests itself as a noticeable lag between when you issue a command to your PC and the effects of it being shown on screen. This may be primarily due to the nature of VSync itself and/or some systems being low on Video RAM due to the extra memory overhead of Triple Buffering.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Approved Member

I haven't noticed any issue with the 11.6 drivers. Not using triple buffering.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Approved Member

Afaik triple buffering is only! for openGL.
In a directX game, CoD, its of no use.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
Afaik triple buffering is only! for openGL.
In a directX game, CoD, its of no use.
I don't think that is quite correct. You might be getting confused by the fact that there is option in the Catalyst Control Center to force triple buffering for OpenGL but none for DirectX.

It is possible to force triple buffering with a DirectX game using third-party utilities such as RivaTuner.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Up to 11.7 and performance is normal again, same as 11.5 but 11.6 halves my performance in the black death track.

Hippo