Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

I would like to say thank you for this awesome simulation. It is not yet finished which is a bit itching me too like so many others but yet I think we can already foresee that this sim will have a great future.

Still there are a lot of graphic bugs in it (also please work over the "fog of war" which is really grgrgr and also textures for middle distances) but some features are simply stunning and I am looking forward to see this game led to its full potential.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Approved Member

Nice to read a official statement about the problems with the game.
I noticed that there are one or two people who can actually play the game reasonally well, but most people like myself can't play it at all.
I know that releasing a pc game without any bugs is impossible, but I still wonder why this game was not tested on a larger amount of different pc's.
There could have been a beta testing programme or something like that.

In my line of work I cannot afford to make mistakes or cut corners because peoples lives depend on what we produce, so we test and test and test over and over again. So yes I know what it is like to be under pressure and how it feels like to work 7 days a week for months at a time just to finish the project. Oleg and crew have my respect for the hard work.

Many gaming companies will ignore all the complaints about a buggy game or release just one patch and leave it at that. And some simply close the forums where al the complaining customers are screaming for a working game.
No worries about that over here, sure many people are screaming for a patch but can you really blame them?
Please people try not to call every complainer a whiner or a troll, spending >50,- euros on a game that does not work is a good cause for at least some form of anger.
I will wait for the patch, I will give Oleg and crew the opportunity to fix the game for us and wish them the best of luck with that.
I'll be back in a few months time to get the patch.

Last edited by reggiane; 04-07-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiane View Post
Nice to read a official statement about the problems with the game.
I noticed that there are one or two people who can actually play the game reasonally well, but most people like myself can't play it at all.
I know that releasing a pc game without any bugs is impossible, but I still wonder why this game was not tested on a larger amount of different pc's.
There could have been a beta testing programme or something like that.

In my line of work I cannot afford to make mistakes or cut corners because peoples lives depend on what we produce, so we test and test and test over and over again. So yes I know what it is like to be under pressure and how it feels like to work 7 days a week for months at a time just to finish the project. Oleg and crew have my respect for the hard work.

Many gaming companies will ignore all the complaints about a buggy game or release just one patch and leave it at that. And some simply close the forums where al the complaining customers are screaming for a working game.
No worries about that over here, sure many people are screaming for a patch but can you really blame them?
Please people try not to call every complainer a whiner or a troll, spending >50,- euros on a game that does not work is a good cause for at least some form of anger.
I will wait for the patch, I will give Oleg and crew the opportunity to fix the game for us and wish them the best of luck with that.
I'll be back in a few months time to get the patch.
@reggiane +1

You are completely correct. It is nigh impossible for a game to released without a bug or two, however 1C Company has let the community down in a big way. It is quite obvious that this game didn't have the attention to detail put in prior to release or it would have been delayed in it's release if that was the case.

I have to question the developers and distributors as to their responsibility to actually deliver a working product! In fact I believe that they should be liable for delivering a game which does not work as promised, as is the case with Cliffs of Dover. If you buy a dodgy product at a retail store then you are entitled to a complete refund, however when you buy a game like this through Steam you appear to be entitled to nothing.

I can't wait for the patch to be released, so I can enjoy my purchase with my hard earned money, however more emphasis should be placed on delivering a workable game from day one, not a week or so after the actual release and after you already have peoples money!

Last edited by _Watchdog; 04-08-2011 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors
Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Watchdog View Post

I can't wait for the patch to be released, so I can enjoy my purchase with my hard earned money, however more emphasis should be placed on delivering a workable game from day one, not a week or so after the actual release and after you already have peoples money!
Why did you pay hard-earned money for a game you knew was crappy? And if you paid your hard-earned money before you found out the game was crappy, why are you complaining? They already had your money. If they waited until the game was perfect before releasing it they'd STILL HAVE YOUR MONEY.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Registered Member

@David Hayward - I bought the game the day it was released, based on the fact that I have every other iteration of IL2! So no, they wouldn't have had my money as I wouldn't have bought the game if it had been delayed, for I don't believe in pre-orders.

I bought the game the day it was released in Aus and have been greatly disappointed since. I have since downloaded the patch via Steam today and it has failed to fix any of the problems I am having.

It is people like you David that give developers an open door to delivery a shoddy game and attempt to patch it after it is released. There is no emphasis on delivering a workable game on release day, for they know that they will get their money and will patch the problems at a later date. We have the right to get what we pay for and what the developers claim the game to be.

The game still runs like a pig. It makes no difference whether I am playing in Eyefinity (3 x monitors) or whether I run it in 1920 x 1080. The game still chugs along at 9FPS and is unplayable.

This patch that was released has done absolutely nothing to fix the errors with playable framerates. I have set everything to low, despite having a grunty system it has made no difference.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTuck View Post
Thanks for your continued hard work, dedication, support and the updates Luthier!

I'm loving the work that has gone into this sim already. I'm on a mediocre rig, but with some tweaking done, I am now enjoying regular high speed dogfights over the channel. What is now obvious to me is the work that has gone into the damage modelling and AI- it a lot harder to get kills!

I am really looking forward to any improvements that emerge over the next few weeks/months.

Thanks again,
BobTuck.
You got that right Bob.

In the past kills were soo easy to get and I oftened wonder why there weren't any more top scoring aces in the real war.

After playing COD and seeing how those enemy planes turn and burn and jinx, and how difficult it is to control the plane, i'm starting to understand why.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Approved Member

Default feature for the roadmap

dear developers,

I hate to add to your already flooded schedules, but i would like to kindly request Force Feedback support to be added at some stage to the roadmap. please forgive me if this has already been raised and acknowledged in this thread, in which case consider this a +1 i dont have the bandwidth to go through the 11 pages as i'm traveling through asia at the moment. i'm such a fan I even bought a new laptop in malaysia and a logitech FFB stick to play this game while i'm out here!

I love the work you guys have done so far and your commitment to the community with regular updates on issues. again please understand i'm not demanding for FFB NOW but at some point in the roapmap when the main issues have been addressed.

Last edited by dash2099; 04-09-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
@David Hayward - I bought the game the day it was released, based on the fact that I have every other iteration of IL2!
Then you bought the game expecting them to fix it if there were problems. Stop whining.

Quote:
It is people like you David that give developers an open door to delivery a shoddy game and attempt to patch it after it is released. There is no emphasis on delivering a workable game on release day, for they know that they will get their money and will patch the problems at a later date. We have the right to get what we pay for and what the developers claim the game to be.
It's not me. They get to release an incomplete product because they don't have any competition. If you don't like this game you don't have any other options for WW2 flight sims.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
If you don't like this game you don't have any other options for WW2 flight sims.
So true! I could never return to IL-2 after I've seen this level of detail in a combat flight sim.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
It's not me. They get to release an incomplete product because they don't have any competition.
Exactly. And it's not because they have a monopoly, they don't have competition because software publishers don't risk their money on niches like this.

You need to accept the basic limitations that are practically a given for a flight sim like this:
1) Lack of funding, meaning a small development team and a long time to develop.
2) The possibility the developers will be short of money and pressured to release the game before it's ready, leading to a buggy release.
3) The fact that this sim is a lot more demanding on hardware than your basic shoot 'em up. I don't even know where to start when explaining how complex this game is, it's crazy stuff.

What we have got has the potential to be amazing and without rival. If that's what you're after, great, support the game and the developers. If you think we're all sad geeks (well, we are) and you think the world would be better if we stopped playing games, carry on with your whining, great job.