Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
I agree, the graphics engine has a lot more maturing to do before we comfortably setup a bench mark track.
What do you mean "maturing" ??
The simulator has been in develompment for quite some time and it is released?
Should it not be mature enough?

All I am saying is that to compare different systems in terms of troubleshooting we must all look into same basic conditions.. and thats where a track comes into the picture...

Im not talking about "all about FPS"... Im saying there is something terribly wrong.. and what better way to find out what it could be by using a commmon tool for it?

You are already seeing ppl posting their specs of their computer, why do you think that is?

hm?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Approved Member

It would do alot of help to many frustrated players to have an ingame benchmark like the BlackDeath.trk has been for good ol IL2.
In this way people with similar spec systems can have an expectation of the fluidity of the game on their system.
Also, performance effect of changing RAM, CPU, GPU etc. can be evaluated as we would all be referring to the same sequence of game play.

I hope there will be an official or wide spread community supported "black death track" to benchmark with..
Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F19_lacrits View Post
Also, performance effect of changing RAM, CPU, GPU etc. can be evaluated as we would all be referring to the same sequence of game play.
Thats what I´m trying to explain, but lights are on and nobody is home.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16_Petter View Post
My suggestions for benchmarking track:

Contents of the track
1. Flying in clouds 1/2 or 3/4 (not overcast)
2. Flying over water
3. Playing around with both external camera and cockpit views
4. Shooting aerial targets, perhaps a bomber formation of 12-20 planes
5. Shooting / strafing ground target, truck or trains
6. Bombing something with secondary explosions, fuel tank or some large explosive item?

Atm my game is unplayable with my current rig so I cannot create a good track even with all settings on lowest...
(lowest resolution and graphic options to lowest, anti epelectric filter off )

I refuse to buy a new rig until I know what works best... and to do do that we need brave volunteers that show us what they get in a benchmark!

C´mon ppl lets make a track??
It seems to me that the obvious way to capture all this stuff would be a formation of 109s attacking boats in a harbour. In about 5 minutes of track you could have:
  1. Medium level ingress above cloud
  2. Descent through cloud
  3. Combat over the coast (attacking targets in and around the harbour, facing AAA and then perhaps a flight of enemy fighters)
  4. Low level egress over both land and sea

The formation could split during combat so that the track includes sections with multiple aeroplanes in view and sections with perhaps just a pair flying home together.

The combat section of the track would obviously be very resource hungry.

However, some of the threads I've read suggest that track playback is considerably less demanding of system resources than actual flight (presumably because the simulation itself isn't running during playback), so it's not immediately obvious that this would be the best benchmark.

Perhaps we need some kind of repeatable* AI mission instead?

I wish Ubifail would hurry up and send me my (pre-ordered) collector's edition!

*In as much as the AI can be made repeatable - we'd probably need to apply statistics to get a useful benchmark if the AI exhibits random behaviour, which I expect it will do...
Old 04-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

In the absence of a benchmarking track you might want to take a look at this thread:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19990