Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonys View Post
Guys, you need the facts, first before anything, and the facts at this moment are the following:............
BUT

- making the filter optional doesn't mean they won't further continue to address (read cripple) effects individually in order to meet epilepsy requirements
- and even if they stop further individually addressing the effects, it also doesn't mean they will re-add/un-cripple the already modified effects crippled to meet the epilepsy requirements

We need an official clarification of these two problems from UBI/Luthier in order to consider the CoD at par with BoB...............
Well the BUT's don't make sense and I don't mean you don't make sense adonys.

What is the point of having a filter if the effects are to be removed, thereby reducing the game graphically way below Oleg's and our desire for CoD to be the best that it can be (and was!)? In any case other posts have Luthier saying that it would be impossible to cover all epilepsy risks in the graphics effects and sequences.

The filter is an unfortunate necessity for those that may suffer fits due to epilepsy but I doubt if they would want the world to have less than it should due to their difficulties. Yes, it becomes a choice between treating everyone equally with a sub-standard product which would still possibly (probably?) pose a risk to epilepsy sufferers or letting it be what it is supposed to be. I have a relative who is disabled by severe back problems and cannot travel on a bus at even modest speeds. Should all buses be forced to run at 5mph just in case she gets on one? Of course not, we have to make our own arrangements and put up with it, just as she is excluded from enjoying the simple walks that most people do.

What are the graphical effects we would lose? Who knows? What are the effects and sequences that would cause a fit? Who can tell or predict it?

Too much has gone into this game to get it up and running at the level it is supposed to be, put it back where it belongs and keep the optional filter.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders

Last edited by klem; 03-29-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
As I understood, anti epilepsy filter reduces or shuts some effects (prop effects etc.)...with filter set to OFF those effects are back....
Here is what i understood:

What has been stated is that the filter compares 2 frames for huge contrasting areas (potential flickering) and reduces the contrast in this areas. This comparisation process naturally takes up processing power and takes time thus causing latencies. With the filter turned off the game is just what it should be. No need to worry about missing visual effects that may have gone with the filter... Ubi (or rather 1C) simply decided to handle us customers as the marture beings that we are leaving the decision on to use or not to use this filter to us like they should have done in the first place.

Winger
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Approved Member

so again this is pretty much ubi propaganda poppycock. Makes me laugh. The trouble is these days there is so much money involved in games these days that the consumer ends up with a box of twoddle. I Respect Oleg and gang for not rushing his masterpeice nor bowing to pressures of these numpties. Like the honourable gentlemen said before ,learn russian, that way you get COD how it was meant to be

Last edited by MD_Wild_Weasel; 03-29-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Wild_Weasel View Post
so again this is pretty much ubi propaganda poppycock. Makes me laugh.
More likely, this is pretty paranoia from some here.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Tvrdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
Here is what i understood:

What has been stated is that the filter compares 2 frames for huge contrasting areas (potential flickering) and reduces the contrast in this areas. This comparisation process naturally takes up processing power and takes time thus causing latencies. With the filter turned off the game is just what it should be. No need to worry about missing visual effects that may have gone with the filter... Ubi (or rather 1C) simply decided to handle us customers as the marture beings that we are leaving the decision on to use or not to use this filter to us like they should have done in the first place.

Winger
yes but like I said with filter ON your loosing some of the visual effects I (like prop effects)..they are less noticable or not noticable at all..
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonys View Post
Oh god, nobody seems to really understand.. Ok, let's do it the hard way:

We have this awesome propeller blade arc visible from inside the cockpit, right?

As we've seen in WW2 footage, the propeller view is like a translucid (like in transparent, but not invisible) circle seen all the time while not at very low rpm, with some blurred propeller blades rotating at slower speeds inside/over the translucid arc, sometime even counter-rotating (an optical illusion seen at rpms which would have the propeller move just a little less than full 360 degrees during a single frame, hence the illusion of counter-rotating). Everyone with me until now?!

Now, UBI comes and says: we can't have these blurred propeller blades rotating, or even counter-rotating, inside the propeller's translucid arc, it will cause headache and might trigger epilepsy, remove it.

MG removed them from the game. Removed the blurred slowly rotating/counter-rorating propeller blades for good (like in removing them from the game, and deleting the resources needed to create them), and just kept only the translucid arc.

After 100 x above, they've decided is counterproductive to fix all the individual requests, and added an epilepsy filter.

Do you have the slightest idea what that (post-processing) filter is? it is NOT like a list of effects which are allowed when it is on, and not rendered when it is off. it is NOT a list of effectes rendered like this when it is on, and like that when it is off.

The filter just grabs the image which should go to the screen, and analysis it pixel by pixel with the previously image sent to the screen. if the difference between the luminosity of two pixels is too big, it will tone down it in the new image is preparing to send to the screen.

Do you understand now what "epilepsy filter removal means"? it means only it will stop analyse and modify the rendered image, and send it as it is to the screen.

That won't put back the already crippled effects in, as the already removed inside cockpit slowly rotating/counter-rotating blurred propeller's blades. That won't put back ANY of the individual already removed/toned down/crippled effects.

Even more, it won't mean UBI might not request to have other/more effects removed/crippled/toned down (in order to limit the worst of them if the epilepsy filter is taken off)..

Do you understand now?

I am sorry but you quite clearly do not understand. There were no effects removed (except possibly this prop effect?), they simply put on this filter, which has a blanket effect. Everything I have seen seems to indicate that even with the filter on there is almost no noticeable effect on the visuals. however it doesn't matter since we are going to be able to turn it off and have the game in its original format. Even if they did remove the prop effect there is no way it would be irreversible.

It boggles my mind how negative some people are. We have zero evidence that Ubi would want anything else at all done to the game in the name of epilepsy since they have agreed that having the filter on by default and a adding a splash screen are sufficient to avoid legal trouble. Seriously how do people with this bleak an outlook even get up in the morning?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
Afaik it is you who doesnt understand.

In this simulation the real view is simulated!!!
Not the view of a camera!!
So no slow counterrotating props or such stuff!
Except maybe in a track where a camera is simulated.
+1

IRL you don't see the prop...
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vevster View Post
They tested the game on standard seizure tests;
Harding test?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harding_test
http://hardingtest.com/

Last edited by Flying Pencil; 03-29-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post

Probably, dunno
Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

I reckon they should just keep in all the seizure-inducing effects and keep the optional filter, the 0.01% of people can bitch and moan about it until the world ends.