Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Approved Member

I forget who said this (PM me if you know): But, there is a difference between a flight simulator and a flight-plan simulator.

MSFS has always lagged behind the combat sims where flight models are concerned (although had better navigation) and often lagged in terms of graphical quality (although covered larger areas).

As for the terrain - the elevation maps look nice - if they did that for the whole world it might be impressive. However, I've always been disappointed with both MSFS and X-plane for a lot of locations (eg. outside the U.S.A.). The trees are also too widely spaced and all the same type.

The basic fact is that Microsoft builds sims based on accountants, marketing firms and the bottom line. They simply can't do a good job creating simulations with these priorities (compared to 777/NeoQB/Gennadich, Maddox Games, Graviteam or Eagle Dynamics).

That said, I'm glad - Oleg will have to give us the new cloud model now...
Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Approved Member

FSX is very good if you have money to burn, it's also a totally different kind of thing and comparisons are not really valid apart from the purely technical stuff.

What i like to do with FSX is play virtual tourist/millionaire/small air service operator/etc, depending on whether i'm flying learjets from London to Paris or dehavilland floatplanes near the glaciers of Alaska.
I'm just immersing myself in a situation that fools me into becoming someone else for a couple of hours, it's the escapism factor from real life that drives us to play computer games anyway.
It's just that this virtual persona is not a combat pilot for a change. So, how is that vastly different and nerdier than what we all do when flying IL2, where we pretend to be not only fighter pilots, but also pilots from 60 years ago?

In civilian sims i've done short hops in piper cubs taking off from my home town and landing on top of snowy mountains or in nearby small lakes, but i've also done a 10 hour flight in a catalina across the Carribean sea tracking from VOR to VOR (Bermuda-Cuba-Dominican Republic-Haiti-Puerto Rico-St.Maarten) exchanging the controls with a friend every couple of hours like we were a real pilot/copilot crew. Ok, we "cheated" and saved mid-flight, picking up from where we left off a few days later, but the aim was to have fun so it was a choice between using time compression or breaking up the flight in more sessions with the help of saved games.

In any case, stock FSX is not much to write home about, but it has awesome modding potential. It's just the basis. The real fun is in the 3rd party stuff.
I don't know about you, but i don't have FSX and only fly it on a friend's PC sometimes (the one i did the 10 hour flight with).

Well, the stock aircraft didn't impress me much but after flying some well made payware add-ons and learning how aircraft really operate, i couldn't bring myself to fly IL2 for weeks.
I'm not slamming IL2, i still like it but it's a 10 year old sim.

The thing is, nobody can deny that IL2 models how planes fly and shoot each other down better than FSX, but much in the same way some FSX add-ons model the actual complexity of aircraft better than IL2. Way better i might say.
And guess what, if this didn't matter then the Maddox team wouldn't want to include such things in CoD. But they did, so it must be important stuff

In fact, i have a feeling that one of the most interesting things to observe in CoD will be the initial reactions from people who've been for years conditioned to just slam their throttles forward and keep them there until the fuel tank's dry, thinking that this is actually realistic. I guess it will be time to learn some new tricks or turn down the realism options a notch for most of us.

In short, my point is don't knock it till you try it and even then, just because it might not suit you doesn't mean anyone who likes it is a fool. I guess it's just a combination of a dislike toward microsoft's practices and the lack of combat in FSX, but it manifests itself in an awfully short-sighted fashion, a way of viewing the hobby that prevents you from learning new stuff.

For example, i don't fly modern sims. I don't like them enough to sit down and learn them, they are too complicated for my taste and there's not enough up-close action when everyone has missiles. However, you won't see me going around telling people who like DCS: Black Shark that they're idiots, nerds who push buttons or useless in virtual flying because that chopper has got a gazillion autopilot modes. Nope, in fact i'm getting intrigued by thinking what draws them to actually sit down and learn how to do it, plus by the way it's actually getting done. I don't fly such sims, but i do watch videos of them on youtube that show how to operate a modern, highly complex warplane because i like learning stuff about flying machines.

If some of you can go beyond your dislike of microsoft and the lack of combat and watch some tutorials for FSX add-ons, maybe you'll learn something new as well and not cook your engines in 2 minutes the first 10 times you try flying CoD at maximum difficulty settings
Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
Two threads? is MS in the house??

past history? yes, we remember the promo shots featuring DX10 in all its glory (which turned out to be artist concept)
Just a funny coincidence - my thread about the same thing is actually first though OK, it's really only seven minutes earlier than this thread so I'm sure we where both writing them at the same time but I managed to press save earlier I guess we have both signed up for the mail list to get updates about "Flight" and reacted the same way almost at the same time...

When I realized this thread had almost the same subject I thought of deleting mine but then there was already and answer in mine so I let it live...
Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Approved Member

this was the second thread in the list I read, at the time of reading
Old 01-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Approved Member

Wait for the game before you argue how good it looks. I remember very well the big difference between the promo shots for FSX and the actual game when it was released.
For MS sims better wait to see the real thing.