Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Help with throttle response/free roam

Ok, why does the throttle not back off for a while after you decrease engine power? I can put it to 0% and it still chugs along for another 20 seconds...

Also, is there a way to free roam? All I really want to do is practice my landings/take offs and simply fly around.

thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Approved Member

You need to give the plane time to slow down.

As for practicing take offs and landings, just pick a slow enemy plane at 9000 meters and dive down and do whatever you want.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdavis View Post
Ok, why does the throttle not back off for a while after you decrease engine power? I can put it to 0% and it still chugs along for another 20 seconds...

Also, is there a way to free roam? All I really want to do is practice my landings/take offs and simply fly around.

thanks in advance
Skid your plane with the rudder aswell if you want to slow down quickly.

Fly training with an enemy Arado234 without bombs if you want a free roam.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Approved Member

its also a good idea to use your gear to slow down, its not realistic but without a flaps system on realistic it works. On sim though you have combat and landing flaps that will help you slow down.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Is there a certain training location that is better suited for landing/takeoffs than others. I've tried a couple but there are just small areas of grass, many times uneven....

thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdavis View Post
Is there a certain training location that is better suited for landing/takeoffs than others. I've tried a couple but there are just small areas of grass, many times uneven....

thanks
There are airfields, in and around Dover, Italy, Berlin, Stalingrad, and the other maps. Berlin probably has the most prominent, because it's right in the middle of the city, and surrounded by buildings; making it almost look like a stadium from up high. Stalingrad's airfields are a bit harder to see, but the quickest one, is in the shape of a weird looking "lake" like circle outside the city. There are some Il's there on the ground, that should give it away pretty easily.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Approved Member

Berlin is a good one to land at and requires skill.... even more so if you have a joystick because it offers no brakes, and its a challenge to land without hitting houses and trying to stop.

The best airfield to land one is without a doubt (i find) manston which is situated on the kent/dover map.

It cant be missed and has a huge runway.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Approved Member

My place of choice is picking a Po-2 enemy plane, go to Dover and head to Manston Airbase. in whatever plane. It takes the Po-2 a good 10 minutes to get to the base and when it gets their...then what? Anyway, i found it was the biggest with a long runway and an easy aproach from both sides. Great for practicing flying their and landing. Its also a great place to fly formation with buddies, land their, take off in formation and a do an airshow to while everyone is parked on the ground watching! Its great fun.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Approved Member

The IL-4 stops pretty damen quick, on landing.

The other factor, regarding the engine speed not immediately matching throttle setting, is the fly wheel effect of the propellor.

The PO-2 is the most mass produced aircraft in history. So far just over 190,000 have been built and it is still being made. It was originally designed as a crop sprayer, communications aircraft and trainer, back in the 1920's

In WW2 they were flown mainly by women on night time anti-personel and material patrols over German, Romanian and Hungarian lines. Nicknamed the "Sewing Machine", the aircraft would cut its engine, swoop down on unsuspecting trroops and drop either bombs or grenades by hand or from racks.

Because of this danger, German troops in the open were reluctant to risk camp fires for fear of attracting the "Night Witches". Even lighting a cigarette was risky.

The Germans nicknamed the women pilots "The NIght Witches".

The top speed of a PO-2 is 88 MPH.

The Luftwaffe also used the aircraft for observation, communications, bombing and other duties on the Eastern Front.