Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

Default Luftwaffe fighters; Offset Gun sights

Hi guys!

Does anybody know, why the gun sights of German WW2 fighters were offset to the right, back in the days and not centered, like in most Allied fighters?

I can't find an answer to that anywhere!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze81 View Post
Hi guys!

Does anybody know, why the gun sights of German WW2 fighters were offset to the right, back in the days and not centered, like in most Allied fighters?

I can't find an answer to that anywhere!
IIRC, it was supposed to be because you aim with one eye. I don't know how much difference it made. Or what happened if you were luftwaffe and it was your left eye that naturally aimed.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Approved Member

The sim does not really show how small most of the cockpits were, especially the Bf109. The gunsight was off centered to get a free view forward and to make start and landing easier.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for your replies guys! Do you have some sources or links where I could read into this subject and where they specifically mention why the sights were offset?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Approved Member

No website, but this thread from two years ago was about the exact same thing, with some pretty good answers.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2573

Basically the reason is thought to be the same as here. No reason to have the gunsight 100% in the middle as it performs just as well with a very slight lean to the right. The left side is a little bit less obstructed which favours flying otherwise. The sight itself is only very slightly offset to begin with.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Approved Member

MikkOwl, you keep pointing me in the right direction today! (also G940 thread)
You were kind enough not to complain, but it's obvious I have to be using the freakin' search function more thoroughly! My bad!

So, one more time thanks to KOM.Nausicaa and Igo kyu for answering this old question, again.