Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

The I-173 is only "Cheap" in acrade mode, which does not bother me since I never play that.

I will get flamed for saying this, but I think the LA-7 is the cheapest plane in the other modes. I am not trying to rip the people that fly them, I actually like when people fly them because the challenge makes me a better pilot.

A high speed pass with a quick burst of my 30mm and the 153 is meat.

Perhaps by trying realistic or sim, you would be far less annoyed by the 153.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmanB182 View Post
The I-153 is only "Cheap" in arcade mode, which does not bother me since I never play that.

I will get flamed for saying this, but I think the LA-7 is the cheapest plane in the other modes. I am not trying to rip the people that fly them, I actually like when people fly them because the challenge makes me a better pilot.

You have a point there about the La-7. It has a bit of a rep as a noob plane in Il2 1946 as well, simply because it is so good at low altitude dogfighting and the majority of fights take place in these conditions.

It rather hard to fight against, especially with my usual plane in Il2 1946 which is a late model Bf109G or K, because while these can match the La7 in speed they cannot turn with it, which means I have a very hard time in a sustained fight. That means I have to rely on using BnZ tactics only, and on making ambush kills and then getting out of the area fast.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Approved Member

The LA7 falls apart under gunfire very easily in arcade mode. Strange its potent in th other modes
Old 11-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
You have a point there about the La-7. It has a bit of a rep as a noob plane in Il2 1946 as well, simply because it is so good at low altitude dogfighting and the majority of fights take place in these conditions.

It rather hard to fight against, especially with my usual plane in Il2 1946 which is a late model Bf109G or K, because while these can match the La7 in speed they cannot turn with it, which means I have a very hard time in a sustained fight. That means I have to rely on using BnZ tactics only, and on making ambush kills and then getting out of the area fast.
The G has more firepower but is a less stable shooting platform. The K has less firepower but is more stable......also cant turn with the G-6. I wish the F-4 could punch out of a wet paper bag, I LOVE how it flies. Any of them have a hard time dealing with the LA-7.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post

I haven't tried the La-7, but I flew the La-5 in 1946 and the control column obscures your view of the slip ball when in the neutral poition - how am I intended to trim my rudder? Any ideas? Not being able to see the variometer on the MiG-9 is a pain for landing, too, although as it's the gunsight housing in the way I'm sure there's not much to be done about that. Bring on SoW and 6DoF, I guess.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araqiel View Post
I haven't tried the La-7, but I flew the La-5 in 1946 and the control column obscures your view of the slip ball when in the neutral poition - how am I intended to trim my rudder? Any ideas? Not being able to see the variometer on the MiG-9 is a pain for landing, too, although as it's the gunsight housing in the way I'm sure there's not much to be done about that. Bring on SoW and 6DoF, I guess.
Well, there is a mod that gives you 6DoF in Il2 1946, but that isn't part of the official game yet. The problem is that all the older cockpits in the sim were designed to use only a fixed viewpoint, which means if you are moving around in the cockpit you will see parts of the cockpit haven't been modeled.

Obviously, doing an upgrade for all these cockpits would be a massive task, so its unlikely this will ever be officially added to Il2.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting much in the way of 6DoF from IL-2, just wondered what those with more time logged in 1946 than me used as a work-around method of checking co-ordination really. Most of my time is currently spent flying the YP-80 and Me262 which don't have these issues, but I would like to fly the La's at some point, and the MiG-9 in particular - I have no way of guesstimating my sink rate to within 500ft/second, though. =/
Old 11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmanB182 View Post
The I-173 is only "Cheap" in acrade mode, which does not bother me since I never play that.

yes you will get slated
take it up high its crap then
i prefur the spit though
oh and it has crap accuracy try firing on some1 its hard to get a hit