Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

I usually take one target head on, while the other chases me. Usually it's like "chicken" but with a third character, rather than just two. I do whatever I can really, usually just take a tight turn or roll? Nothing fancy, just simple.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Approved Member

I am sure that tactics will be of better use once they integrate the "no respawn, three waves" option, this way players will want to stay alive and not ruin the game, also with limited ammo so dont get the typical player who sprays infinite bullets all over like crazy. If only we could take off and land to refuel and rearm, but oh well. I love this game.

Last edited by edal86; 10-03-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edal86 View Post
I am sure that tactics will be of better use once they integrate the "no respawn, three waves" option, this way players will want to stay alive and not ruin the game, also with limited ammo so dont get the typical player who sprays infinite bullets all over like crazy.
Sounds like you think this'll actually happen . It's been confirmed this will probably not come to BoP, but it might be in the sequel, who knows.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
Sounds like you think this'll actually happen . It's been confirmed this will probably not come to BoP, but it might be in the sequel, who knows.
What? No!!! I must have understood wrong. Ancient seraph did you need to ruin my fantasy???? lol
Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Approved Member

Always late to the party, I am...

Not sure about what you use in a dogfight, but armament is always nice. I like to carry something with rockets. While usually not very effective, they act as a nice deterrent for any attacks coming from your front. As for your six...depends on your difficulty mode.

For realistic or Sim...Climb to about 4000 feet, force yourself in to a spin. You sharply lose speed. Get the hang of pulling out of it. It's quicker than the barrel roll manuever, and if done right can put you behind your tail, who thinks you have lost control and usually will drop their guard. It just takes a lot of practice, and luck sometimes. Also, make sure you have a plane that is capable of pulling out before the engine stalls out. That tactic is kind of dangerous, but sometimes you have no other choice.

Also, flying low also works for me as well. In areas with sharp contrasts in height, you might be able to lose someone in odd terrain. The crash won't count as a kill, but it's one less person to worry about, and frees up your six. Also, if your other foe is in a slower plane, this can set you up for a boom and zoom if you find yourself far away.

Flying upside down is good for keeping a tail busy. Something about being upside down throws off a person's aim, and they will most likely try to emulate what you are doing. While they are busy trying to follow you, try to cut your speed sharply, and pray they are too focused on being upside down to notice they're about to shoot ahead of you. I would try this only if they are closer than 1000 feet.

If you're trying to hit a bomber, always always always go for the sides. This prevents those pesky gunners from murdering you. Also, try to line yourself up and make a straight line out of your target, you, and your six. If your tail is keen on team play, he will be more conservative with his shots in an effort to not shoot down his buddy. I will admit that I have killed and have been killed by friendlies while an enemy was between us.

Also, a lot of people mention a friendly as acting as bait. These people are right. Setting up a nice tactic like that can easily help down a few. Also, if you have a friendly with a tail gunner, you can use him to set up enemies in a straight line, and then dive in on them while they're busy trying to get him. Anything else Edal86 says, do that too. The man knows his stuff. There's a reason he's #1 (And I'm not).
Old 10-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Approved Member

If you are good at evasive flight, simply draw the hordes away from the target area, allowing your team-mate to land a few hits (in strike) or get a more secure touch-down in CTA.

Another strategy would be to implore the development team to incorporate a patch to the lobby system that stops folk from overloading one team,

There is also a third way..

If, as happened to my team last night, (after a prolonged team switching 'mini-game') someone insists on unbalancing your team by jumping into it in the last seconds - simply shoot the cheating scumbag down yourselves.

Simples
Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
Although this worked in RL, I'm not sure this'll work in-game. People shoot from way further in-game, so they don't need to be close to someone (i.e. vulnerable to pilot no.2) to kill him.
Good point. I didn't think of that. It's still worth a try, though.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NephilimUK View Post
If, as happened to my team last night, (after a prolonged team switching 'mini-game') someone insists on unbalancing your team by jumping into it in the last seconds - simply shoot the cheating scumbag down yourselves.

Simples
LOL I'm not sure how effective that was mate. The guy still sent me a friend request...