Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Approved Member

Default Why to have DLC's

At first a short retrospect. For many many years there was a new game on Market for PC Players. It's called Microsoft Flight simulator. The first time it was possible for PC gamers to fly through the air in different planes over all countrys and the whole world. Later it was possible to include new contents like scenery,Airports,Aircraft and many other things. By now FS is the most selled game and simulator in the PC Market. Mostly of the users don't be pilots ore other professionals, 90% are players for fun. They all love the variety this game gives them. I played it by myself for more than 10 Years. I never had done it without DLC's. This AddOns used the open structure of the game to make it interresting for all the users.
Oh guys, I see your answers are more faster than i can write this article. Please pe patient I have to do a little break. I have to tell a lot
At first I want to say that I know the difference between free mods from the community and addons with costs. But that's not the Question now. Let me give a little exampel for you
Imagine, you play this pretty game since two or three month. Teamfight over England, Date is 1941, Birds in the Air are Bf109 E and BF110 against Spits and Hurricanes. You played it a hundred times. It could be a little boring after a while. Or this one : you play strike mode over Great Britain always the same map and the same birds in the air over month, could be always boring after a while. Sure, games like this have a big advantage: the modality of playing here is always another, changing players is changing adventures. And if there are always enough players online it normaly could never be boring. So, and now you have the option to buy an Add on with a new map of the french coast, some aircraft like a Fairey Battle and a Handley Page Hallifax for the British and also included a Junkers Ju 88 as well as an Fw 200 Condor for the Germans Luftwaffe. Also it includes some new skins for older planes and some more missions for singleplayer (for both nations). For what it's worth, I would buy for it but only on condition that this AddOn is well done on one side and it must be secured that all players of this game can play furthermore with me, equal they have this addon or not.
Yes sure, they can not fly the new airplanes without addon, but they can see them. So all players can be contended with it. Only a little patch for all gamers could make this possible. I am sure that it isn't possible to load free addons from the community but I think it is also not sleazy to buy for good work. We should not forget that we all live from our jobs. If you did a good job its normal to get good money. I think the producers of Bop should try it wether it is profitable or not with a little Addon like one or two Airplanes. When the prize is fair, why not. And never forget All players should furthermore be able to play together without Handicaps. And the advantage is more alternation,more adventures more games and hopfully more players.

So now you can think about it and discuss it a little bit. Let us all help together to make this game dateless

to be continued!!!!!!

Last edited by simfex; 09-21-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Approved Member

Adding variety to the gameplay while still keeping the new features high quality certainly does exponentially increase the fun of a game and the number of people it appeals to. Hopefully the developers of this game are capable of recognizing how a few creatively designed features can take a game to a whole other level. Well, first they have to get the basic gameplay mechanics down, which this game still needed a lot more work on before it should have been released IMO.

They still deserve credit for including a varying physics 'difficulty' but despite the graphics, the polish is not there in way too many other areas I think. The physics are great but the controls are awful and I'm sure 90% of casual players don't even realize simulation or realistic is even playable due to the controls being so royally screwed in their default setting. Simulation is broken thanks to the terrible look around button and lack of any sort of spotting aids to compensate for the strangely difficult to spot enemies. The heads up display is way too translucent and easily lost in the backrounds... Ugh, I don't even want to go through everything again. The game is unfortunately deserving of the about 7.5 average review score it got thanks to these very simple and relatively cheap to correct flaws. Without all these small but many flaws the game would have been a classic. Most likely another case of rushed development.

Last edited by KurtG85; 09-21-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Approved Member

Is this post to encourage the developers to make more DLC? 1 huge advantage of FS is that it's on the PC. This means anybody can make any addons and it will be compatible. They can distribute it over the internet with no restrictions. On the XBOX however, every single thing has to be checked by MS. Moreover, FS has no competitive element (apart from racing), which means that there doesn't have to be any checks on game balancing. Another reason why 3rd parties can develop addons. In IL2 however, everything has to be balanced in order to keep the game fair. This means any 3rd party addon would have to be checked by the devs and probably tested as well. All this is way too much hassle to actually benefit anyone, except maybe the players.
As for addon scenery, FS is played to experience the joy of flying. This doesn't just include the flying and the plane itself, but can be greatly improved by adding nice scenery etc. The succes of the sales of these scenery addons is directly dependent on the succes of FS itself, most likely not the other way around. If FS wasn't this popular, there wouldn't be a market to sell the addons. This is - sadly - the case with IL2. Moreover, the scenery in IL2 already is quite stunning, and I'm not sure the XBOX can handle a hell of a lot more.
Conclusion: Succes of the game leads to succes of addons, not the other way around, and addons on PC are way easier to develop and distribute than addons for XBOX, or any console for that matter.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Approved Member

Flight sims have DLC, but they're called mods since they're (usually) done by fans, not the professionals who made the game. DLC is a mod pack that's put together by professionals who often need money to justify bringing it out, unless they think it will stimulate sales or maintain their customer base. Whatever the reason.

MS Flight Sim games and others don't survive for years based on the out of the box game. Most would die off quickly just like anything else if that was the case. Mods keep them alive and more up to date.
Also, players import planes from one generation Flight Sim (at least with MS back in the day) to put in the other one, so you've paid for another game, not much different than buying DLC. Then there are the expansion packs---that's the same as DLC, but you get the media.
DLC is nothing new.