Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

Default Collision Detection, a little over zealous?

Im just wondering if anyone else has noticed some slight weirdness with the collision detection in the game? Ive had a few instances of mid-air collisions that I felt I had avoided, or was not that close. A number of them have been from a head-on pass with another fighter. I really noticed it last night in a heavy dogfight. I did a head-on pass with my spit vs 109, and we both made a break at the last second. I was pretty darn sure I was clear and past him and THEN the planes exploded with mid-air collisions.

Lag maybe? But even so it seems a little off, almost as if the collision models are slight overlarge or dragging a bit behind the aircraft.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Approved Member

Yeah thats almost certainly lag. The colision detection is almost perfect in SP modes.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 09-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
Yeah thats almost certainly lag. The colision detection is almost perfect in SP modes.
QFT! you can practically floss between planes in Single player.
________
One vaporizer reviews

Last edited by juz1; 02-24-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Approved Member

Compared to Warbirds and Aces High I think this is the BEST collision detection yet. I have been able to avoid collision in VERY close passes that would have been registered as hits in the prior mentioned sims. This includes online play for me.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:48 AM
Approved Member

I thought the collision detection was alright, maybe just lag. It's pretty fun like playing chicken with people in MP. Anyone else do it?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd27 View Post
I thought the collision detection was alright, maybe just lag. It's pretty fun like playing chicken with people in MP. Anyone else do it?
Im just trying to bring guns on target with this damned Aviator deadzone issue LOL! I get creamed in head-on passes every time. Ive been setting up lead turns instead and going straight for the angles advantage.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Approved Member

Yea, I noticed it sometimes too.
I've collided when trying to fly in tight formation, while I could have sworn there was still a tiny bit of room lol. But yea, lag can be an important factor here.

And especially some ground units don't have a good "collision border", I've tried flying under a bridge once that wouldn't let me. Most do though.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Approved Member

I kinda figured it might be lag related, since Ive seen some rubber banding issues due to lag. However the time I noted above, the game was running smooth as silk and no-one as far as I could tell was lagging. Of course they may have at the point of our pass, I just cant be certain tbh.

Hmm, just thought there that a connection gauge might help when choosing a match. Street Fighter 4 has such a gauge which iirc is a ping based. Im sure that once the game is sold a bit more the servers will start to be more readily available. Having a way to differenciate between local games and international ones would be good.