Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Approved Member

It doesn't really relate to the questions asked here though.
The link is a throw away comment from 2007, the game is 2 weeks away, some details on the dedicated software would appreciated.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAF92_Brigstock View Post
It doesn't really relate to the questions asked here though.
The link is a throw away comment from 2007, the game is 2 weeks away, some details on the dedicated software would appreciated.
Hence my above statement. It's not satisfying. But it's all you got.

The dedicated Server is based on the final version and the stripped for all unnecessary stuff and added the server-manager. As the final version just last week went gold, you can probably figure out yourself, in what status the dedicated server actually is.

And then we come back to the link - because it says exactly this, no matter how old it may be.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I'm after this info too. I have a dedicated server that I use for RoF, which doesn't have 3d capability. That is fine for dedicated software run off a command line.
What I want to know is whether COOP will be included in the CoD dedicated server.
I want to run COOPS rather than DF's and in IL2 the only way to do that was running the full game on a server with the graphics turned down.

RoF runs DF and COOP mode on their dedicated software (albeit not very well for COOP), I'd like to know whether CoD will be able to do the same.
The RoF dedicated server is a joke... Try starting a simple df mission and look at the CPU load when NO players have joined. It's like 50-70 load on my old dual core P4 server. Sure it's an old server but a real dedicated server software with no one connected should have almost zero load if there are no AI-planes waging a big war between themselves. When I run IL2 server with a bunch of players connected and ships firing at each other you can hardly notice any load on the system, the IL2 server process is like 3-6 percent CPU load. Same with LFS dedicated server that I have run quite a lot on that machine. With 16 connected players the LFS process is at maximum 10% CPU, most of the time at ~5%.

So I'm pretty sure the RoF "Dedicated" server is more or less a normal client process that has directed the output to dev null
Old 03-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Approved Member

Your answer is not only unsatisfying it is also totally irrelevant to my question.

We're going round in circles.

I know what dedicated software is, I'm looking for details here.

Q. Does the dedicated software, that I know is ready, include COOP capability
A. Yes, there is dedicated software

How is that helping, it is no answer, no matter what you think.
Are you a politician? if not you should think about it!

Even when linked to an Oleg statement, being told dedicated software will be included is not new news or goes anywhere near what I'm asking. We're on specifics now, not asking if there is dedicated software, whether it is ready yet or even if it will be released with the main game. We're asking about what it includes.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

@Mazex
I know, RoF dedicated could be a lot better. Mine sits at 30% with no players and just the mission environment running (clouds,wind etc). Saying that though it doesn't increase that much when players start joining.
What does kill it though is any AI activity, so I never run COOP in RoF only DF.

IL2 dedicated is a lot more efficient, I just wish it would run COOP too!
Which is why I'm asking if CoD dedicated will run COOPs.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Your answer is not only unsatisfying it is also totally irrelevant to my question.

We're going round in circles.

I know what dedicated software is, I'm looking for details here.

Q. Does the dedicated software, that I know is ready, include COOP capability
A. Yes, there is dedicated software

How is that helping, it is no answer, no matter what you think.
Are you a politician? if not you should think about it!

Even when linked to an Oleg statement, being told dedicated software will be included is not new news or goes anywhere near what I'm asking. We're on specifics now, not asking if there is dedicated software, whether it is ready yet or even if it will be released with the main game. We're asking about what it includes.
You're missing my point entirely.

THERE ARE NO DETAILS YET !!!1shift11eleven

because it's most certainly still being worked on for the reasons stated above and stated by Oleg in the given quote!

Last edited by Feuerfalke; 03-20-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Approved Member

I will just take a guess and say that a good server will need 8gb Quad core setup 4mbit connection to be able to handle 128 players
Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_oddball View Post
I will just take a guess and say that a good server will need 8gb Quad core setup 4mbit connection to be able to handle 128 players
More like 10 players.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post

THERE ARE NO DETAILS YET !!!1shift11eleven

because it's most certainly still being worked on for the reasons stated above and stated by Oleg in the given quote!
Good....effing......lord
We know there have been no details yet.....hence the questions!!!!
If this stuff was known this thread wouldn't be here!!!

The game has gone gold, the server software must be nearly there if not complete. Even if it is still being worked it'll only be minor tweaking.

So a question like what min /recommended spec or if it'll support COOP are totally valid at this point. I can't see stuff like that changing drastically at this point in time.

The game is 2 weeks away and I plan to host a CoD server, which is why I'm interested in mundane stuff like this.

You might have also noted the thread title, a question to Oleg or Luthier rather than one to the forum membership.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt255 View Post
More like 10 players.
4 kilobytes (32 kilobits) perplayer X 128 =512 Kilobytes X 8 (8 bits per byte) =4.096 megabits