Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   The Saitek Aviator AV8R-02 for Xbox 360 sucks (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=10117)

SL83 09-27-2009 04:54 PM

The Saitek Aviator AV8R-02 for Xbox 360 sucks

Just so you guys know.

Zip tie mod gets rid of the stiffness, but the deadzone is so huge it is unbearable.

Honestly - and it's sad to say this - the Xbox 360 gamepad is the better choice between the two.

No such thing as precision control with the aviator.

Ancient Seraph 09-27-2009 05:04 PM

Kind of a bold statement don't you think? I for one enjoy flying with it. Maybe a poll or something would be a better idea, instead of claiming to be the all-knowing being.
Just pointing out to people who're thinking about buying one: there's a certain risk you won't like it, some people don't. There's also a risk you do, so don't be put off by a random topic like this. For it's price it's a very decent buy, especially if you're having trouble maintaining a certain attitude with the small joysticks on the controller, like me. And the deadzone is annoying, but you get used to it. I now just skip the deadzone and am able to make pretty small corrections where necessary. And that without any mod :D.

SL83 09-27-2009 05:14 PM

No - not a bold statement at all. Just truthful.

I can move the saitek aviator within a 1.5 inch radius, 360 degrees - and the controls do not respond AT ALL.

Piss poor junk.

I observed a deadzone problem on the PC with it as well, but if anyone is going to say that the 360 drivers are what causes the problem - the fact is - it still is a horrible way to play the game.

The freelook is great - everything else kinda sucks.

MorgothNL 09-27-2009 05:40 PM

it is your opinion, not fact like you seem to state it ;)

I actually really like it :), took me a day or 2 getting used to, but now I cant do without. You get used to the deadzone as well, now I never notice it anymore. It is kind of nice to fight with the controls when dogfighting :)

akuma 09-27-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL83 (Post 105477)
No - not a bold statement at all. Just truthful.

I can move the saitek aviator within a 1.5 inch radius, 360 degrees - and the controls do not respond AT ALL.

Piss poor junk.

I observed a deadzone problem on the PC with it as well, but if anyone is going to say that the 360 drivers are what causes the problem - the fact is - it still is a horrible way to play the game.

The freelook is great - everything else kinda sucks.

Maybe its your stick thats broken, or perhaps you are expecting too much?

My stick works just fine, there is a slight and tiny deadzone near the dead centre of the stick, but factor in your flying WW2 aircraft its hardly going to respond like an F-22.

iannik 09-27-2009 05:50 PM

I don't like how Aviator works, but i absolutely better than gamepad

Marchochias 09-27-2009 06:39 PM

Yet another kid who thinks his opinion is fact. Oh well.

RedKicker 09-28-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxqubit (Post 105498)
Dead zone of Aviator (360) is the same in BoP and AceCombat (i did a quick test)

I have to say that I disagree with that. I have both the AV8R and the Hori Ace Edge and the deadzone is much smaller in the Ace Edge. Don't know how or why, but it just is :)

Lexandro 09-28-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxqubit (Post 105498)
Some ppl have argued there is a way around (the Api???) cause they stated that the deadzone was fixed in HAWX (never played that game though)

It was me that made this statement about HAWX (as I own the title). The offical patch notes for the game state that there was issues with the deadzone on all versions and that UBI did indeed fix the issue specifically. I dont know actually how they did this, as I dont know much about coding for 360 specifically but it was done.

In the 1.0 version I was never able to get level flight in game, I always was climbing or diving slightly no matter how gently I moved the pad due to the huge deadzone. In the updated version (1.2 iirc) I am able to get stable level flight now by a gentle push on the pad.

juz1 09-28-2009 10:15 AM

well you know what they say about a bad workman and his tools....:grin:
________
BUY SILVERSURFER VAPORIZER